My 15 yr old lost our spare Key - help!

RCT

We've lost (read my daughter left on car roof!) our spare key for our new Yeti. Anyone got any experience of getting hold of a replacement without breaking the bank, as I understand the dealers charge £200+?

That'll teach you to leave your daughter on the car roof :giggle:

Seriously though, I doubt (& hope) that there isn't an 'easy' way to get hold of replacement keys - think you're going to have to cough up to your dealers.

You might be able to claim on household insurance although, personally, I would never try - they'll get you with excess + increased premiums in the end!

Off target here sorry,but how did your 15 year old manage to leave the key on the roof?.Seriously if the key was left on the roof and some one has taken it will that mean new keys/change of locks etc? to prevent the missing key providing access to your vehicle?.

You could try ebay. Lots of keys there for around £30.00. Similar key for VW minibus looked identical to original but still needed programming by VW dealer. Do not know who vendor was though.

if....some one has taken it will that mean new keys/change of locks etc? to prevent the missing key providing access to your vehicle?.

My thoughts as well.

Check your car insurance policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buying a spare key from Ebay is not sufficient.You will be buying a BLANK.

The blank then goes to the dealer who in turn contacts the manufacturer in the Czech republic to get a serie of numbers to code the key to match the serial number of the Yeti.

Then it has to be cut at a locksmiths. Hence the high price of a replacement key.

Edited by oriki