Fuel tank capacity?

How big is the Fabia's fuel tank really?

I have a 1.2 TSI and i usually fill the tank to the brim as soon as i get the bing and the refuel light comes on.

Sometimes i can fill about 35-40liters but today i filled it with 46,7liters :o Isnt the whole tank supposed to hold 45liters MAXIMUM? I even had 90km left to drive according to the maxidot :S

Have anyone else noticed this "problem"?

I think this makes it very hard to really know how full the tank is after you refueled the car. Since it looks like you can "brim" it and also "brim" it but to diffrent levels. I always fill it untill the pump says stop, then i fill it a bit more but slower untill it stops again and then im done.

Edited by Snowman89

The tank is 45 litres then up the pipe.

Sometimes i was getting 50 mpg and down to 50 miles to go and still get 45 litres plus in, sometimes not.

Cold might make a slight difference in volume, but that should be a tiny difference..

I always brim my car, and hardly ever get below 1/4 full these days..

Winter weather always full to reduce moisture in the tank/fuel.

Now its good if it says you have put in 40 litres, paid for 40 litres & the pump is over serving. (it does happen )

Not good if a pump underserves.

If in doubt take along a 5 litre fuel can & put in 5 litres, if it overflows the pump is serving too much, happy days.

george

That 50 mile range must have been with about 7-10 litres left and not only 4-5 litres,

Probably could have gone on for 80 miles if getting good mpg at the time.

but it only took 40 litres brimming it..

Only reason i was checking so close was there was a tank size thread running at the time.

45 litres I think.

I got to the pumps last night, my range had said 5 miles for about 10 miles! It took 41.8 litres to brim the tank. So I guess the range is quite pessimistic.

MPG was 38ish at the time.

How do you fill the expansion tank?

You aren't supposed to 'fill' the expansion tank, it is there for EXPANSION of the fuel in variable temperature bands.

So the car fills its own expansion tank ??

What does this expansion tank look like and where is it on the car ??

You aren't supposed to 'fill' the expansion tank, it is there for EXPANSION of the fuel in variable temperature bands.

Okey well could you then explain how i managed to fill my tank with 46,7liters of fuel? I also had about 5-10liters in the tank before i started refuelling...

Okey well could you then explain how i managed to fill my tank with 46,7liters of fuel? I also had about 5-10liters in the tank before i started refuelling...

The expansion tank is only linked to the proper fuel tank when the filler cap is on or if you lean the filler hose against the little transfer valve activation switch at the side of the filler pipe accidentally, or diliberately, when you are filling.

Hence you can sometimes get between 45 and 50 litres in the fuel tank.

If you are using the fuel immediately, ie going on a long journey, no harm in trying to fill the expansion tank also. If you are filling it and parking it somewhere hot and do manage to fill the expansion tank then it could splurge out at waste the precious fuel.

Edited by lol

I do the expansion thing on purpose when going straight out on a long run.

You can just fill till it clicks off then push the nozzle gently against the relief valve, you will here the air purge out then you can add some more fuel. I do this a few times to brim it.

I never do it when not going on a long run or if the car is being left as there wont be any expansion space. Its never spat out fuel on the floor even when turning hard so I dont have a problem doing it. If you search valvectomy in here some folks take the valve out on purpose so it always brims.

I don't buy the whole expansion tank thing

The fuel does need room to expand or more accurately vent vapour , if does this via pipe work that runs up to the engine , the engine draws this vapour in to be burnt as part of the normal combustion process.

The fuel cap is sealed

The hiss of air you can hear is from a pipe that vents the air from the tank as the petrol goes in , if the air wasn't able to get out the fuel couldn't get in.

You can fill up the filler pipe and even the air pipe which runs along side the filler pipe but this is not an expansion tank

I"ll believe the car has one only when someone posts a pic of it

Pic of an Evo filler pipe so you can see the air pipe that vents the tank as you fill , most cars have these in some form or another

P1020088_zps71b79dae.jpg

Edited by Richf

I don't buy the whole expansion tank thing

The fuel does need room to expand or more accurately vent vapour , if does this via pipe work that runs up to the engine , the engine draws this vapour in to be burnt as part of the normal combustion process.

The fuel cap is sealed

The hiss of air you can hear is from a pipe that vents the air from the tank as the petrol goes in , if the air wasn't able to get out the fuel couldn't get in.

You can fill up the filler pipe and even the air pipe which runs along side the filler pipe but this is not an expansion tank

I"ll believe the car has one only when someone posts a pic of it

Its just semantics. There is no separate tank, just a void above the vent point. Depress the valve you can fill it. Thats all.

No its not at all some people think there is an expansion tank for the fuel to expand into

There isnt

You can however fill the filler pipe with fuel , when the tank is brimmed right to the cap it can still expand or contract

LOL,

Maybe the thought of 'Heat' and they listened when in the 'Science or technical class at school'.

Barometric & atmospheric pressures, liquids and gasses etc.

Mk1 vRS & Mk2 vRS are of a different design.

Over the years vehicles came with vented fuel caps and non vented caps.

Often people fitted the wrong caps.

Many cars now have non vented caps.

Fuel systems that are pressurised & non leak in accidents, pressure cut offs etc.

*fuel vapour pulled into the carbon canister type thing.*

Thread subject here,

'what is the size of the tank?'

Answer, '45 litre tank',

but you can carry more than that. Fill the tank and up the pipe.

But due to Ambient Temperature changes and pressure changes, 'BAR', do not overfill if parking up.

Petrol fumes are more volatile than diesel.

(but petrol uses spark plugs & diesel ignites under pressure/heat)

You leave expansion space when storing liquids, if you have any sense.

(remember vapours in an empty vessel can also be under pressure and dangerous.)

george

http://www.physicsfo...ad.php?t=466217

http://www.en.wikipe...iki/Liquid_fuel

• 2 months later...

I put 53 litres in my 1.2 TSI today.The handbook quotes a capacity of 45 litres containing a reserve of 7 litres.I questioned the Tesco pump attendant and he measured out 10 litres into a can and it was correct.My fuelometer said there was 15 miles still in the tank before I refuelled.It must have a greater capacity than 45 + 7 = 52 litres.

I put 53 litres in my 1.2 TSI today.The handbook quotes a capacity of 45 litres containing a reserve of 7 litres.I questioned the Tesco pump attendant and he measured out 10 litres into a can and it was correct.My fuelometer said there was 15 miles still in the tank before I refuelled.It must have a greater capacity than 45 + 7 = 52 litres.
Or your car runs perfect on fumes/air;)

Well i finally found the button so im avoiding it now when im refuelling..

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

So you accidientally touched the vent button on the side of the filler piper when filling up which allowed you to not just fill the tank to the where the main chamber of the tank meets the connecying pipe and it's vent side pipe but managed to fill up these pipes as well because the vent button was depressed during filling.

I do it all the time deliberately but only when I know I am just about to do a long journey so use up the portion in the neck of the tank ie atleast about 50 miles.

It is useful as it extents the useful range from effectively a bit less than 400 miles to 450 miles, that is on the VRS but you probably would get even more from the 1.2 TSI which is a bit more frugal in most circumstances.

Use to be such warnings as potentially damaging the CAT but hae not seen or experienced any issues so far doing this deliberately.

I must've somehow managed to fill the filler pipe - I've done approx. 100 miles of, er, spirited driving, and the needle on the gauge is still at the full marker.

I managed to get from Calais (well, Folkestone plus Eurotunnel) to Brussels before the gauge moved a few weeks ago after "overfilling"...so that sounds about right given it doesn't always move off full to start with.

Was the warnings not about damage to the 'Fuel vapor canisters',

rather than to a 'Catalytic Converter'?

http://www.wisegeek....or-canister.htm

george

Remember it saying CAT but cannot remember which car, think it was a Skoda but then it could have been something in the early days of CAT which is now going back twenty years of course.

Remember the excellent K series engines which had to be enriched to work with the CAT and hence used more fuel for a while before they re-engineered. Cleaner emissions but more of them, mad laws.

Cant see how overfilling would effect the cat , I wouldnt worry about the charcoal canister either , lots of people bin them anyway they dont have an impact on the way the engine runs they just stop petrol fumes venting to the atmosphere

• 10 years later...