Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons

Yety

I agree with you about the proper tests and the very high degree of uselessness inherent in individual user reviews. There is, I think, something in collective/crowd opinion. I follow three forums relating to my motorbike (Triumph Street triple 675) and feel that the endless tyre discussions can give a sense of the attributes of particular tyres. I'm currently considering new tyres for the bike based in part on such emerging consensus.

I've just bought Nokian WR cold weather tyres for the Yeti significantly influenced by views on here by people whose contributions on various topics have impressed me.

On tyres you have become someone who's views I would value.

• Like 3

Some of you mention the tone of the discussion. As you have raised the matter, you might like to reflect on other aspects of the tone on this board that I find objectionable and never get involved in. I tolerate the online equivalent of the pub bore, people who speak because they want to speak, not because they have anything useful to say: one gets plenty of practice at putting up with that in this forum. I can also tolerate, or at least ignore, all the tedious homosocial joshing, massaging of male friends, and mutual backslapping that make this forum such a repulsive place to women. My patience and good manners run out, however, when I am attacked by people who speak from a position of ignorance and then try to defend their wrong position.

Briskoda and the Yeti section is a DISCUSSION forum, just like any discussion down the pub.

Sometimes we don't all agree, and sometimes if you really don't like the way a discussion goes you turn your back and go and talk to someone else, or if it is really objectionable you put down your pint, pick up your coat and walk out of the door. The manner in which we "josh" is very similar to that I hear in the local Rugby Club or Motor Club.

You have taken umbrage with comments from me, or the way I reply to threads, several times, and as in this thread I have always tried to reply to you in a polite and respectful manner. I learnt my lesson about replies here some time ago, as others will testify.

If there really is a problem or a comment you do not like in a thread then the correct manner is to report that posting to the Moderators of this Forum and let them decide how the matter should be decided.

Yours, politely,

Graham

If we're going to liken the forum to a pub, and it frequently is, then I respectfully suggest that there are one or two........well, OK, just the one.......... who would, by now, have been grabbed by the scruff of the neck and taken outside the pub and given a spanking due to the patronising, self important and haughty way they talk down to other members. But, of course, this isn't a pub therefore the member in question retains the integrity of their facial features :)

Ah, then that must be the reason Herschel binned his tyres after a day, nothing to do with the make, just Fairy Liquid out of the mould. Lets hope Health and Safety know about that, banning it could cut down on the reason for a lot of accidents, and people thinking they've bought rubbish tyres.

I'll admit it's possible, however I've never had that issue with any other tyres on any of my cars, and I tend to scrub them in well on the first day by doing a considerable mileage (on purpose).

The other comment (by r999) regarding BMW-approved tyres is noted, but I should add that I had Vredestein's on a 325i (same sport saloon setup) and they were fine, it was only on my 330d; also Falken's aren't on their list either, but I've never had an issue with FK452s on any car, including my beemers, and I rate them right up there with the very best tyres I've driven on.

I think it probably just varies from car to car.

I think it also matters what your driving style is.

H

Edited by Herschel

If we're going to liken the forum to a pub, and it frequently is, then I respectfully suggest that there are one or two........well, OK, just the one.......... who would, by now, have been grabbed by the scruff of the neck and taken outside the pub and given a spanking due to the patronising, self important and haughty way they talk down to other members. But, of course, this isn't a pub therefore the member in question retains the integrity of their facial features :)

It's OK, I can take a hint, I shall refrain from patronising, self important haughtiness henceforth. :angel:

I'm most surprised our friend from 'kiwiland' hasn't joined in with this discussion :giggle:

No no no I could not stand it (he was in on another tyre thread :@ )

What was the original question :bandit:

:hi: Hi Graham, Bob, Andy, Need more beer Martin (you need to order bigger kits)

• Like 2

Up till a few years ago, whenever I used to get a new tyre fitted to my motorcycle I would take a rasp file to the tread and take off that shiny film around the circumference of the tyre, until the tread was of completely matt appearance. Worked wonders for my confidence riding the first 20 miles.

• Like 1

I thought that shiny film on new rubber was to ...

... oh never mind, I'll just go to the corner before that lot drink all my beer.

You have taken umbrage with comments from me, or the way I reply to threads, several times, and as in this thread I have always tried to reply to you in a polite and respectful manner. I learnt my lesson about replies here some time ago, as others will testify.

In this thread, that is true; you have been polite. If we go back somewhat further, to the ridicule you heaped on my earlier contributions, than either you have a short memory or you are deluding yourself.

I don't object in any way to you taking issue with me, whether you are polite or less so. I am probably older than most here, and I belong to an age (and a profession) where discussion was robust and speech was plain. Nowadays most people, as we see here, value polite gestures and condemn their opposite more than they care about facts or realities. I am not going to change, so the rest of you can man up or console each other in your beer. As I say, you are welcome to take issue with me as robustly or politely as you like. But if you think you are free of the sins you detect in me, you are - as I say - deluding yourself. Same goes for the person who accused me of patronage while doing it himself: several of you need to see yourselves in a mirror, and from time to time I have given in to the temptation to provide it. The huffing and puffing we have seen in the last day or so is the rage of Caliban looking in his glass, as Shakespeare so trenchantly put it.

Edited by r999

Whew, been out all day testing testing in the forestry and a pub fight breaks out.

I wish I hadn't asked my original question - I think I know the answer now :giggle:

I think it's closing time and we can all go home nursing our perceived/believed grudges/truths etc until tomorrow. Another day, another discussion.

• Like 1

So how old are you and what is/was your profession, r999?

I'm very nearly 60, currently a railway signalman, ex self-employed shop keeper, car delivery driver, sales manager, sales man and Civil Servant.

(The age thing has been raised here in the past, and I think there were quite a few of us in the +55 bracket)

So how old are you and what is/was your profession, r999?

I'm very nearly 60, currently a railway signalman, ex self-employed shop keeper, car delivery driver, sales manager, sales man and Civil Servant.

That is candid of you and it deserves an equally candid reply, though I am reluctant to describe how fortunate I have been in case it seems immodest. But I'll take the risk, to bring a close to my part in this thread, even though it may not please some.

Aged 62. Semi-retired. Was head of a UK university department (modesty and privacy do not permit saying which one, or how it rates in the league tables.) Author of four books and 50 academic articles, the most recent book being a 700-page study published by Oxford University Press in 2012 and co-authored with two others who take more of the credit than me. Author of software that sells in 62 countries and keeps me busy supporting its users. The rest of my time is now spent managing a family trust and trying to look after the financial and property assets of my mother, children, and grandchildren; and travelling with my wife. Cars are a hobby.

If you are into your seventies you could be older than most, if you are in your sixties, you are not.

Anyway, that's me done with this thread. I don't want to start doing Shakespeare again.

PS I was twenty, the year England won the World Cup. ( Just to give you a clue )

Knowing peoples age does sometimes help to put a perspective on things, Dom.

I seem to remember someone on here calling us "the old farts"!

And I'm certainly not saying what I did as a Civil Servant, that would make me very unpopular, but I wasn't a Taxman!

Oh that's going to start speculation. My son is 6 so you'll guess I'm not quite in the old fart bracket yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

[snip]

:hi: Hi Graham, Bob, Andy, Need more beer Martin (you need to order bigger kits)

I'm happy to ramp up production - just need to come up with a plausible justification to give to SWMBO!

• Like 2

My son is 6 so you'll guess I'm not quite in the old fart bracket yet.

Doesn't mean a damn thing, theres bloke older than this pair here down our local school picking up their children.

Edit, I meant to add, Vector 4's are fantastic all year round on the wifes Ibiza, the wet grip is particularly good.

They don't seem wear either although that me be down to the fact that I rarely drive the car !!

Doesn't mean a damn thing, theres bloke older than this pair here down our local school picking up their children.

Edit, I meant to add, Vector 4's are fantastic all year round on the wifes Ibiza, the wet grip is particularly good.

They don't seem wear either although that me be down to the fact that I rarely drive the car !!

There's something wrong with men in their seventies having young kids.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2