new Hyundai Santa Fe

Yeti_Man

As a fairly new competitor to the yeti, I'm wondering if anyone has given it a test drive yet? If so, what did you think? Personally I think its the best looking thing in its class and I'm currently one week in on a three week rental of one and overall I'm impressed. By the end of the three week I will have put around 3,500 miles on the clock so hopefully I'll have decided as to whether its a worthy replacement to the Yeti in the future.

• Like 1

I fail to see how a Santa Fa is a competitor to the Yeti as it is far bigger. A neighbour has the current model and it dwarfs my Yeti.

I suppose it depends on what criteria you use, but the only thing I can see is price.

• Like 2

John96 is right. The ix35 seems to have replaced the Tucson which was always the real Yeti competitor. Kia still do their version of it, the Sportage. It will be interesting to see if they replace it with a rebadged version of the ix35.

The ix35 seems to have replaced the Tucson which was always the real Yeti competitor. Kia still do their version of it, the Sportage. It will be interesting to see if they replace it with a rebadged version of the ix35.

That happened ages ago, the new Sportage came out shortly after the iX35. I test drove both back in 2010 before I plumped for the Yeti. I quite liked the Sportage: it was a good drive but both me and SWMBO found its looks a bit "gangster". I did discover one significant problem with both the iX35 and the Sportage, though, in the form of a structural member somewhere down in the footwell that kept catching my right size 10 as I was moving from the accelerator to the brake. It's hardly surprising that it was present on both cars since they are essentially the same machine, just with slightly different "clothes". That ruled both cars out of the reckoning for me, regardless of other considerations about aesthetics, functionality & electric goodies.

I see way more Yeti's round here than iX35s and Sportages put together. (I find the Sportage in particular to be very noticeable on the road because of its rather distinctive styling.)

Edited by ejstubbs

Agreed, size wise its going to be the sportage/ix35 but cost wise (my Yeti retailed at 28k with all the options) its about there. Perhaps I should have said as the perfect 'upgrade' to my Yeti, I'd consider one, has anyone any first hand experience of one?

The boot is just what I need for our euro trips and the rest of the car seems to offer more, and unlike the ix35, offers a good all round drive. I'm really quite impressed tbh - there's a few weaknesses (bad choice of one easily marked cabin material and some of the cabin controls could be better placed) but overall I don't think I've ever driven a car that seems to have leagfrogged in terms of all round improvement like this new Santa Fe. The nvh and cruising refinement is amongst the best ive experienced ar this price range. Oh, and I think the styling and kit list is spot on too as is the five year unlimited mileage warranty.

I won't comment on the one I have in terms of engine and gearbox as the combination isn't available in Europe AFAIK - think we only get a four cylinder diesel option but I'll be booking a test drive as soon as I'm back. :)

That happened ages ago, the new Sportage came out shortly after the iX35. I test drove both back in 2010 before I plumped for the Yeti. I quite liked the Sportage: it was a good drive but both me and SWMBO found its looks a bit "gangster". I did discover one significant problem with both the iX35 and the Sportage, though, in the form of a structural member somewhere down in the footwell that kept catching my right size 10 as I was moving from the accelerator to the brake. It's hardly surprising that it was present on both cars since they are essentially the same machine, just with slightly different "clothes". That ruled both cars out of the reckoning for me, regardless of other considerations about aesthetics, functionality & electric goodies.

I see way more Yeti's round here than iX35s and Sportages put together. (I find the Sportage in particular to be very noticeable on the road because of its rather distinctive styling.)

Ah yes, they fooled me by changing the name of one and not the other! Just looked at the Kia site. The Sportage looks to be a couple of grand more expensive, but it does come with a 7 year warranty. Should keep Skoda on their toes.

I see way more Yeti's round here than iX35s and Sportages put together.

Inevitably perhaps, I saw four Sportages when I was out and about this morning, and not a single other Yeti!

Santa Fe will be comparable to the 7-seat Yeti when it comes out later this year/early next.

Sorry to tell you this, but the only "Big Yeti" so far planned is for the Chinese market.

Sorry to tell you this, but the only "Big Yeti" so far planned is for the Chinese market.

Bugger.

I was thinking about one for my next car............need the space (2 young kids) and standard Yeti just isn't big enough.

If the new Suzuki SX4 is within the weights of the existing model it will have a ball weight of 50kg , Not good for towing and they will have to " up " the interior storage space , current one not much different from the Swift

I think you missed the best competitor to the yeti for boot space, the Mitsubishi outlander it has a bigger boot than the yeti and good build quality....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

I think you missed the best competitor to the yeti for boot space, the Mitsubishi outlander it has a bigger boot than the yeti and good build quality....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Having read the Outlander full test in last week's Autocar I think it thinks it is a Santa Fe competitor (in price and having 7 seats) but you just have to look at it to see:

A: it is hideously ugly

B: it is not as big as a Santa Fe and the last row is very cramped

C: the ergonomics was questioned in many places

D: as was the ride

E: it is hideously ugly

All that counts for it (according to Autocar) was excellent emissions and economy. But I'd rather have much higher consumption and emissions (which I do) than have to drive around with a brown paper bag over my head all the time.

But back OT: Lee I started this thread before so I think you know already what I think of the Santa Fe. I LOVE it. But it is HUGE. It is easily Mercedes ML sized and way, WAY bigger than a Yeti. (but you know that sitting in one right now!) And something that big alas also gets the social stigma of a Chelsea Tractor. An image I'm thankful the tiny Yeti doesn't have.

Lee some more answers for you here in the latest Autocar mega test:

http://www.autocar.c...t-suv-mega-test

And they describe the Santa Fa more as a "cut price Discovery" than a Freelander rival. BUT it did very well in that test have to say. The new Toyota RAV-4 did very badly as (predictably) did the Outlander.

• Like 1

Surely the only question Lee needs answering is "what can Ben do with a giant turbo"? :happy::rofl:

Just taken in an old school Santa Fe (54 reg) and even that is massive compared to the Yeti.