Autocar's artist impression of the new baby Land Rover

This is tomorrow's issue. From: http://www.autocar.c...3-april-preview

They seem to have used a Yeti as a base for their Photoshopping? Or something very similar. (Click on the photo for a proper look) I know lots of us already thought it looked like a Yeti in some of the previous threads we had about it.

But priced from £18,000 sounds a lot better than the priced from £27,000 LR was talking about previously. That is smack in Yeti territory. BUT it is "less than 4m long"!!! That is TINY, TINY, TINY... Grrrr.

cover_18.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a Yeti / Vitara love child.

Although the finished article won't look a bit like this - Gerry McGovern (LRs Design Director) has alredy stated the finished Defender replacement won't look like the DC100 concept.

If I were Skoda......I would be scared.

Why? Škodas don't break down. This thing will. LOL (Yes and Graham will come and put me right now, I know... Not all LR products break, just most. :giggle: )

But honestly I do hope the 4m length is for the 3 door only. As that is way to small to be any sort of upgrade space wise from a Yeti.

• Like 1

Dare I say it will definitely be in Yeti(2) territory :bandit:

Perhaps I should keep my head down, as I know some forumites :hi: burst a blood vessel at any hint of speculation about Yeti 2, but

I'd bet a month's wages (I'm early-retired :giggle: ) that Yeti 2 (if the Yeti name remains) will consist of 2 models, one of which will be sub or around 4m & polo-based . Skoda individuality will be, I'm afraid, confined to nostalgia.

Why? Škodas don't break down.

SNOB Effect......! Landrover vs Skoda. (people who buy SUV's for fashion in London/China/India could not give a ****)

Like the Yeti (in terms of looks)....this does the business. Proper car design. Love It.

No Johann, some Land Rovers break down!

Agreed, 4mtr does sound very short, but will make it brilliant off-road!!

Yeti2, who knows. Everything is pure speculation about that, but I doubt that you will see 2 different wheel bases with the same model name. That isn't the VAG way.

Partly agree about the "snobbery" of the Land Rover name, certainly in the RR elements this can be true, but there are still a lot of people who do buy them to use. There are plenty of 2 year old Disco's towing sheep trailers around our area, as well as Defenders.

• Like 1

I doubt that you will see 2 different wheel bases with the same model name. That isn't the VAG way.

Agreed, see below

Yeti2, who knows. Everything is pure mainly speculation about that.

Corrected that for you. Skoda is a huge organisation & leaks (especially financially-induced ones) can occur.

My, perhaps badly mis-judged & mis-guided, filtering of the 'information' 'out there' leads me to believe:

2014: Snowman - based on stretched Tiguan

2016: Yeti - based on 6g Polo

But then, I also believe in the possibility of a big white furry thing running around the Himalayas.

I know it's been done to death, but I'm using this 4m LR as an excuse to say it may be a Yeti competitor eventually - SORRY :blush:

Edit P.S: I do, of course, appreciate that using the polo platform doesn't necessarily limit everything to Polo length but IF the Snowman cometh, a smaller Yeti would make sense, n'est-ce pas???

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

That is based on the DC100 which was supposed to be the Defender replacement. But as the decision was made to scrap the DC 100 as the replacement for the iconic Land Rover it has been scaled down to slot in below the Evoque. It will sell because it has the Land Rover name on it, but I bet it will not be screwed together half as well as a Yeti.

It will probably be the first Non UK built LR too.

4m isn't that much less than the Yeti's 4.223m

Erm... there is normally only roughly 150mm between car classes. (The new Range Rover Sport is only 149mm shorter than the new Range Rover for example) So a BMW 5-series is roughly 150mm longer than a 3-series and a 7-series is roughly 150mm longer than a 5-series... So something that is 223mm shorter than a Yeti is nearly from TWO classes down I'm afraid. A Tiguan is roughly 300mm longer than a Yeti - hence also in the class above. So might not sound like much but on a car 223mm in length is a HUGE amount.

Nope a 4m car is in the useless Nissan Puke class in my book. Will never be big enough for my needs OR even have space for a full size spare wheel since the rear overhang will be too short.

• Like 1

Erm... there is normally only roughly 150mm between car classes. (The new Range Rover Sport is only 149mm shorter than the new Range Rover for example) So a BMW 5-series is roughly 150mm longer than a 3-series and a 7-series is roughly 150mm longer than a 5-series... So something that is 223mm shorter than a Yeti is nearly from TWO classes down I'm afraid. A Tiguan is roughly 300mm longer than a Yeti - hence also in the class above. So might not sound like much but on a car 223mm in length is a HUGE amount.

Nope a 4m car is in the useless Nissan Puke class in my book. Will never be big enough for my needs OR even have space for a full size spare wheel since the rear overhang will be too short.

The Superb mk 2 is approx. 4.8m long.

The Octavia Mk 2 is 4.5m long

The Yeti is 4.2m long

Based on the '150mm' rule, 9kk, that would make the Superb (which is 2 whole feet longer than the Yeti) 4 groups up. :lol:

That is one huge (pun intended) reason why I went for the 'tiny' Yeti, for parking around London.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Erm... there is normally only roughly 150mm between car classes. ... So a BMW 5-series is roughly 150mm longer than a 3-series

A 5-series is 275mm longer than a 3-series, nearly twice as big a difference as you claim.

I think at less than 4 metres long and wheel in each corner, it will be dreadful for towing the cow trailer! even the 90 is very unsettled with 6 cows in the trailer, so an even shorter wheel base will make this worse.

So, will the new LR be aimed at the agricultural user as the current Defender or are they aiming at the domestic market?

Will you use the pressure washer on the inside and outside, will it wade upto and past the door handles?

Doubt it, as a result the Defender is dead.