HET1 the YETI?..... Maybe not.

BigV

And yet you bought extra chrome bits for the car to personalise it.

Money you won't see back come resale time.

I'm not sure we are all really that different. ;)

No argument with your plate Richard, I would love it as I intend to keep my car for years and yours is individual. It's the attempt of making names I do not like such as misplacing letters and placing black plastic screws/fixing to change the letter profile. As for the chrome bits I think I will have had the value out of them by the time the car moves on.

Just a bit of fun really and not too expensive unless you change your car every 5 minutes and the garage keeps fooking up the transfer process. Had three, let one lapse as they are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Ones model specific which will stay with the car, the other was a fun birthday pressie for swmbo bought when bladdered and thought of as a good idea at the time. Not everyones bag, but its just a bit of fun and something a little different.

Yeah, I also like to keep my reg. nos. The one on my Yeti was on a 1965 NSU quickly I used to own and the one on my van I've had on various vehicles since 1978.

Mind you, I haven't given my Yeti a silly name, not that I would criticise any one who has of course! :angel:

• Like 1

I guess it was always a bit optimistic getting a 4 digit plate at a reasonable price. Never had a personal reg on a car and if it wasn't for the 13 plate on this one I probably wouldn't bother.

Each to their own however, I recently got passed by a white Lamborghini Murcielago with the plate AW55OME. Definitely the best I've seen in a while

Would the YET1 plate be massively devalued if Skoda ditched the Yeti completely in favour of a different model? Unlikely for a few years I'd imagine though.

Maybe, unless you could sell it to the UK division/importer of Yeti cycles, Yeti cool boxes, someone with a screw loose who likes bigfoot or the owner of a large white 4x4 etc...

Life is too short, I try not to think about it too much. :)

Would the YET1 plate be massively devalued if Skoda ditched the Yeti completely in favour of a different model? Unlikely for a few years I'd imagine though.

In that unlikely event, I'm sure the YETI plate would still be desirable as it also refers to that big white hairy thing! ;)

Richard/Bossfox is right - each to their own.

I have had many personal plates over the last 40 years (all legal), and I have already had my moan about incorrect spacing etc on another thread so will not repeat here.

Everyone is free to spend their spare cash on whatever they like, whether it is adding a bit of bling, number plate or choice of vehicle. Other's opinion matter not a jot!

Anyway, I think Richard's YET 1 is great and if he (or wife) get enjoyment out of it for 10 years, so what. If he wants to spend that amount on a plate, then good luck to him (maybe a bit of jealously creeping in from others?).

I do agree though, that a number plate that spells the model's name is maybe somewhat questionable, and agree with Johann that on the next car will look somewhat out of place. However, with YET 1 Richard has the best of both worlds, as any 3 letter plate with a "1" will always be worth money and would look good an any car, and looks brilliant on his Yeti.

In my opinion (and that's all it is), I think some of the other member's so called "personal plates" they have proudly illustrated on this thread look stupid, and if I saw them I would think "Errrrr?". But again - whatever floats your boat.

And whilst on the number plate topic, and something that has baffled me for many years, is why has the DVLA has never increased the £80 transfer fee? I can't remember when it has ever gone up. Strange, when every other Government service increases each year. I imagine that if someone can afford a personal plate they can afford an increased fee. if the £80 fee was index linked over the last 20 years (it must has been at least that long since it was increased), it would probably be around the £200+ mark. I am not complaining though, just pointing out on one of life's anomalies.

PS: Richard, I am a real Yeti/Bigfoot/Sasquash/Abominable Snowman believer, with no loose screws or at least I don't think I have. The wife would argue with that, although when I purchased ET 12 UFO for the Yeti last year I think that maybe she had a point! The Dealer loved it though. Remember - each to their own!

And whilst on the number plate topic, and something that has baffled me for many years, is why has the DVLA has never increased the £80 transfer fee? I can't remember when it has ever gone up.

Shhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :giggle: Don't give them ideas please!!!

I think £80 is quite enough. So little work is involved in doing the work that it is just a good money spinner for HMG.

I first transferred a plate in 1975. The fee (I think) was £5. At that time the donor vehicle was examined to check engine and chassis numbers. And amazingly the local tax office manually amended every tax application since the vehicle was new from the original number to the newly issued replacement.

Even in 2001 when I put a DVLA purchased plate on, the car was examined. But at least I could put the new plates on immediately.

Now no examinations are carried out and the process can take weeks. My friend has had his new CRV sitting at the garage for over two weeks waiting for the transfer form.

Remember those day's well (the 70's). At our local DVLA office in Luton, we had to take the car to a local spare patch of ground about a mile form the actual office, and the DVLA man would confirm actual chassis/engine number with his torch (and rag to clean the muck off). Great days though!