1.6CR or 2.0CR?

Do you think 6th on the mk III is aimed purely at high speed economy then? I wasn't aware it was different to the mk II, which could be due in part to the mk III being lighter I guess. I certainly noticed a difference changing from the 1.4tsi which would bumble along at 40ish in 6th which was due to it's greater rev range and spread of torque. Guess the modern cr just takes a bit of getting used to no matter which one it is. Mine seems to like 40 in 4th, 50 in 5th etc and doesn't seem to be any worse off economy wise either than trying to be in 6th as soon as posible. Is that how the mk III drives too?

Yes, there is definitely a push for more economy from the Mk III. If you stick it in Eco mode, the set up definitely does have a calming influence on your driving style too as the throttle is less responsive, but all hell breaks loose when you put it in Sport mode, brilliant acceleration off roundabouts!

SWMBO also drove the III for the first time today and she said she was struggling with the gears as she is used to a Mk II 1.8TSI which is much higher revving.

I have covered nearly 2K now so getting used to it more and more each day, and liking it's flexibility as you can bumble about in low revs or thrash it off the roundabouts and it seems happy either way, but the latter obviously impacts more on your wallet when you come to fill up! ;)

Yes, there is definitely a push for more economy from the Mk III. If you stick it in Eco mode, the set up definitely does have a calming influence on your driving style too as the throttle is less responsive, but all hell breaks loose when you put it in Sport mode, brilliant acceleration off roundabouts!

SWMBO also drove the III for the first time today and she said she was struggling with the gears as she is used to a Mk II 1.8TSI which is much higher revving.

I have covered nearly 2K now so getting used to it more and more each day, and liking it's flexibility as you can bumble about in low revs or thrash it off the roundabouts and it seems happy either way, but the latter obviously impacts more on your wallet when you come to fill up! ;)

Haven't played with sport yet, but I do like the fact that you pull down free gear stick to go into sport, and pull it down again to come out. Often found on the octyII that if I wanted to move out of sport, I could end up in neutral. Not good when you have just floored it from the roundabout,

Currently staying in Eco mode as I agree, my driving style has slowed down a lot, and I don't mind !!

Ha ha,

I'm still not used to mine but don't tell your SWMBO!

I feel you need a weeks therapy ragging a TSI vRS to cure your walletitus :rofl:

Ha ha,

I'm still not used to mine but don't tell your SWMBO!

I feel you need a weeks therapy ragging a TSI vRS to cure your walletitus :rofl:

I think you might be right but if I feel like I need a proper blast, I can still take the SWMBOs TSI out for a spin! The 1.8 TSI Eleg is very understated, and not many realise it is only 0.6 sec slower than the TSI vRS on the 0-62 sprint, it comes in at 7.8 secs which is pretty good for a 160ps engine!

Edited by Matt Pez

Look at the in gear stats for a Mk7 2.0 TDi 150, it can do 130+ in 4th 5th and 6th, so practically top speed in 4th, top speed in 5th and 6th just to keep revs down.

Gearing in an earlier CR car generally much lower and in gear performance generally better as a result. Have to say the gearing on my DSG 170 CR Octavia isnt as tall as the 6 speed 140 CR Golf MK6 I used to own

Must admit I don't really push mine very hard, I bought it as a relaxing, comfortable cruising car for my commute and that's how I drive it. However when overtaking the shove from all that torque is most impressive!

• Like 1

Filled up a couple of times now in my 1.6. Got 54.9mpg on the latest tank in eco mode (real vs computer estimate of 56.2mpg). That was 3 people up with luggage for a week in Devon from Northants with about 2500 miles already on the clock. Just signed up with Fuelly.

I'd probably agree that the 1.6 will struggle to get anywhere near its published figures in real world driving cos I was being pretty light footed!

• Like 1

Filled up a couple of times now in my 1.6. Got 54.9mpg on the latest tank in eco mode (real vs computer estimate of 56.2mpg). That was 3 people up with luggage for a week in Devon from Northants with about 2500 miles already on the clock. Just signed up with Fuelly.

I'd probably agree that the 1.6 will struggle to get anywhere near its published figures in real world driving cos I was being pretty light footed!

It will be an interesting comparison yours against mine on Fuelly, same wheels too, as some would say less rubber = greater rolling resistance!  I'm averaging 55.0 after 3 fill ups on Fuelly, so it would appear no penalty for increased power and I am running in normal mode most of the time.  Just don't let Timmy give you a complex with his 62 mpg, cos he only travels down hill in the Octy, then uses his Porsche to tow it back up the other side! :giggle:  :rofl:

• Like 1

Had a fair bit of cross country in that tank. ... Northampton to Stratford on motorway, then cut across to m5 on the winding roads. The road from the m5 to Barnstaple is pretty hilly too. ... did have to shift down to 4th a couple of times where I am sure my old car would've held on in 6th (140 bhp 2.0hdi citroen c5)

• Like 1

Had my first proper couple of motorway days this week.

430 or so miles, Hertfordshire to Alton towers, to Liverpool, back tomhertfordshire.

Run up to Alton towers showed 60mpg on the tank from fill up, but by the time I got home, and done the mileage, it was showing mid 57. Done just over 1000 miles now, so hope these figures increase.

Happy with these so far as they are still better than my octy II, But am hoping it will get in to the early to mid 60's.

Hi guys - interesting discussion. I've just picked up my new Octy III 1.6CR today, having been driving a 2.0CR Golf VII for a couple of weeks - man that thing goes. Both DSG cars. I'm intrigued to see how the smaller engine copes with my mainly motorway drive and what sort of economy I get. Was getting about 55 in the Golf B2B.

Slightly embarrassingly given It's a brand new car today, I have a 400 mile round trip tomorrow and a 500 miler on Thursday, so I won't be spending a long time getting the car run in. Be interesting to see what economy I return on what will almost certainly be my first two tanks of Diesel!

First impressions of the Octavia are good (based on 12 miles back from dealers tonight), it's certainly not far behind the Golf on refinement and comfort, and has almost exactly the same toys on the Elegance as the Golf GT. I binned the golf because the GT suspension was a stupidly hard set up - this coming from a driver who's recent car history includes two M Sport Beemers with 18" run flats.

• Like 1

Hi guys - interesting discussion. I've just picked up my new Octy III 1.6CR today, having been driving a 2.0CR Golf VII for a couple of weeks - man that thing goes. Both DSG cars. I'm intrigued to see how the smaller engine copes with my mainly motorway drive and what sort of economy I get. Was getting about 55 in the Golf B2B.

Slightly embarrassingly given It's a brand new car today, I have a 400 mile round trip tomorrow and a 500 miler on Thursday, so I won't be spending a long time getting the car run in. Be interesting to see what economy I return on what will almost certainly be my first two tanks of Diesel!

First impressions of the Octavia are good (based on 12 miles back from dealers tonight), it's certainly not far behind the Golf on refinement and comfort, and has almost exactly the same toys on the Elegance as the Golf GT. I binned the golf because the GT suspension was a stupidly hard set up - this coming from a driver who's recent car history includes two M Sport Beemers with 18" run flats.

Typical, ex BMW driver! You've only gone and messed up the owners register, it looks like a jumble sale now! Edited by Matt Pez

Typical, ex BMW driver! You've only gone and messed up the owners register, it looks like a jumble sale now!

I know, I'm so sorry. I initially posted from Firefox, which the forum engine doesn't seem to like. Unfortunately I can't see a way to edit the post, perhaps because I'm a newbie on the forum and don't have full capabilities? If any Mods want to delete my post I'll re-do it in a better browser!

Great start eh :-( It could be worse, I could work in IT. Oh, hang on...

• Like 1

I know, I'm so sorry. I initially posted from Firefox, which the forum engine doesn't seem to like. Unfortunately I can't see a way to edit the post, perhaps because I'm a newbie on the forum and don't have full capabilities? If any Mods want to delete my post I'll re-do it in a better browser!

Great start eh :-( It could be worse, I could work in IT. Oh, hang on...

It is strange - I prefer Firefox, but sometimes it just won't let me post and I have to use IE (twice today) yet it is letting me this time!  Bizarre...  Sometimes straight Post works better than MultiQuote.

Very impressed with the economy on the 1.6 on day one.

I did 200 miles to Stratford this morning and got 59MPG according to the computer. That was on quiet A1 for the first hundred miles or so (Cruise control at a steady 72)then half an hour stop start on the A14, another half hours cruising and a final 20 mins or so stop-start into Stratford.

On the way home it was stop start leaving the city for first half hour, then two hours of cruise at 70, followed by a final hour between 50 and 80 when the traffic got more obnoxious towards Leeds and rush hour. That showed 58 on the computer.

I brimmed it after I got back (exactly 400 miles since I filled up last night) and it took 30.12 litres, which I get to 60.4MPG.

Same again tomorrow - let's see what happens!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Plectrumman, what mode were you in (econ, normal, sport or individual)?

I still haven't managed to average more than 55mpg over a full tank despite a pretty light foot. Am trying it in individual at the moment with economy for the aircon, normal for throttle and sport for steering. Someone suggested somewhere that they thought the economy setting was optimised for the official testing and not real world driving so figured I'd give normal a go to see if I could improve my mpg!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running the 1.6CR in a Leon, and as you can see from my sig, after 18 months and ~45k I'm not doing bad :D

Please bear in mind that my figures are with a full boot of very heavy equipment, and I also carry extra in the back, so I reckon you could easily average 66/67mpg in this car.

I was disappointed Sunday, went to Sevenoaks Kent, car great on way there (eco mode), on way back Had to drop down to 4th several times when I asked the car to accelerate on inclines in 5th, caught up with slower traffic, outside lane busy, slowed, got gap had to change down!! (sports mode)

But last 1.6tdi I had was dsg, that just used to drop 2-3 cogs & it was gone, got to do it myself now!!

How does the dsg and manual mpg compare on the 1.6 tdi?