vRS failed MOT for no side lights...nearly

First MOT for the vRS today and I was sent to the waiting area to watch whilst two guys did the test. When they came to do the lights I hear one telling the other that both side lights are out.

I stick my head out the door explain that the DRL's are the side lights. The guy looks at me like I've got two heads, and is then looking in the headlamps saying there's side light bulbs in them :wall:

Anyway, in the end one of them made a phone call to someone to check I was right, but I wonder how many people have had a similar problem.

Had the same with my first MOT in March. Tester said at first there was a problem with the side lights, but they sorted it, by this I assumed that they realised their mistake. They also proceeded to tell me that it failed on front windscreen washers, which I was surprised about as I'd tested them before taking it in - then he said they'd topped up the bottle and finally passed.

Just seemed a bit odd.

Mine failed its first mot on the "number plate". Personally I think it's the station trying to make a quick buck. They hope that the person doesn't know anything and will just pay up.

My fabia failed its first MOT on brakes. Guy took me down the pit to explain how bad they were. I replied they have only been on the 10k miles I had best take it back to the garage then. Funny enough he responded with oh well I'll just make it as an advisory.

Mine was given an advisory because the indicator bulbs were not a yellow as they should be?. Is there a colour chart they use or does it depend on the testers eyesight/colour blindness?

Mine was given an 'advisory' for seatbelt harness pads!!

A complete joke....apparantly they can inhibit the use of the belts....Of course they do...LOL

Do the pads stop you manually feeding the belt in (or slow it down)?

Mine failed on wiper blades and a parking permit stuck above my road tax?? Isn't that where everyone out thier permits??

Depends. I normally put my road tax in the smallest holder I can find (cheapo magmatic holder) and as far down in the bottom left as i can get it, checking it can be seen from outside. Any parking permit would either go directly above or in the top leafy corner using the same principles.

Some people have massive tax disc holders (often dealership ones with a nice big advert for the dealer on it or even skoda/AA ones with a huge border and even a big fat rectangular bit with a space for a membership card etc). Put one of those up a few cm from the edge, stick a big bright parking permit above (some, instead of tax disc size permits, have big square sticker types) and all of a sudden you have someone with a lot more of their windscreen blocked out than necessary.

I'm not saying you fell into the above category, but maybe it was deemed to be obscuring too far in?

Do the pads stop you manually feeding the belt in (or slow it down)?

Depends. I normally put my road tax in the smallest holder I can find (cheapo magmatic holder) and as far down in the bottom left as i can get it, checking it can be seen from outside. Any parking permit would either go directly above or in the top leafy corner using the same principles.

Some people have massive tax disc holders (often dealership ones with a nice big advert for the dealer on it or even skoda/AA ones with a huge border and even a big fat rectangular bit with a space for a membership card etc). Put one of those up a few cm from the edge, stick a big bright parking permit above (some, instead of tax disc size permits, have big square sticker types) and all of a sudden you have someone with a lot more of their windscreen blocked out than necessary.

I'm not saying you fell into the above category, but maybe it was deemed to be obscuring too far in?

The tax holder is the Skoda one. The permit was directly above 1cm from the edge. Ok it's about 6cm square but I'd get a ticket if its not displayed. Not to worry ill remove it for its next MOT. It's now stuck right down in the bottom corner which I can't see when driving anyway.

I do think some testers are just picky. He could just pull it off and not document it on the fail record. Now it shows as a fail when I check online. Grr

First MOT for the vRS today and I was sent to the waiting area to watch whilst two guys did the test. When they came to do the lights I hear one telling the other that both side lights are out.

I stick my head out the door explain that the DRL's are the side lights. The guy looks at me like I've got two heads, and is then looking in the headlamps saying there's side light bulbs in them :wall:

Anyway, in the end one of them made a phone call to someone to check I was right, but I wonder how many people have had a similar problem.

Had the same with my first MOT. Bloke asked me, admittedly a little sheepishly, how one turned on the sidelights.

Mine failed on wiper blades and a parking permit stuck above my road tax?? Isn't that where everyone out thier permits??

There is an exemption for anything 'official' within the swept area of the windscreen, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. To quote the testers manual, section 8.3:

‘Official’ stickers that are not readily removable, such as vehicle licences, parking and access permits, are only a reason for rejection if they seriously restrict the driver’s view. ‘Official’ stickers should be taken to be any sticker that is used in connection with ‘road enforcement’, ‘security’ or ‘crime prevention’ matters. These include: Disabled Persons Badges/permits, Parking Permits, Licences and Vehicle Anti-Theft Scheme stickers issued by a Police Authority

I've failed a car for having a bull dog clip clipped onto the seat belt, preventing it from reeling back.

There is an exemption for anything 'official' within the swept area of the windscreen, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. To quote the testers manual, section 8.3:

‘Official’ stickers that are not readily removable, such as vehicle licences, parking and access permits, are only a reason for rejection if they seriously restrict the driver’s view. ‘Official’ stickers should be taken to be any sticker that is used in connection with ‘road enforcement’, ‘security’ or ‘crime prevention’ matters. These include: Disabled Persons Badges/permits, Parking Permits, Licences and Vehicle Anti-Theft Scheme stickers issued by a Police Authority

I've failed a car for having a bull dog clip clipped onto the seat belt, preventing it from reeling back.

Good to know that. It is an official permit to park which I pay for to park it is rather large but is clearly marked Aberdeen city council. Bloke tore it off my window and scrunched it up into a ball and left it on my seat. Not amused I had to get a new one at a cost £2.50 for him being a fanny lol. Won't be using that garage again for MOT. On the bright side I nothing mechanical failed if he's so picky

• 7 months later...

My vRS failed it's MOT today on the side light issue. Unbelievable that no one at the garage could fathom what I was telling them. Mind you , it also failed as one of the shocks was leaking oil. Didn't even realise they would even check the shocks to be honest. Good job it's a company car.

My vRS failed it's MOT today on the side light issue. Unbelievable that no one at the garage could fathom what I was telling them. Mind you , it also failed as one of the shocks was leaking oil. Didn't even realise they would even check the shocks to be honest. Good job it's a company car.

Was it drivers side front shock?

I do think some testers are just picky. He could just pull it off and not document it on the fail record. Now it shows as a fail when I check online. Grr

erm, unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it show that even if it wasn't there as you failed on your wipers too?

To be fair I tend to get my car MOT'ed at my local Skoda dealers. They only charge "the going rate" and I feel I have enough a relationship with them that they wont attempt to sell me what I don't need - I'd question anything I was sure didn't need doing anyway.

At least they know about the side-lights.

erm, unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it show that even if it wasn't there as you failed on your wipers too?

I accept the wipers failed I don't accept the tester being so anal about a parking permit and destroying it in the process. But to record a parking permit on the refusal form to me is a bit extreme. It sat above the road tax and was not obstructing my vision at all but he still used this as a reason to fail my car on top of wipers.

I've now got an even bigger permit now and it's bright yellow and blue. Why if they are mot fails do the authorities make parking permits so damn big?