new estate

configured mine other night wasa bout 27 ish

2.0 td manaul elegance...xenons,,keyless start...electric seats....silver roof rails,,,,columbus....led rear lights

going to see dealers in may when I can see it in the flesh

configured mine other night wasa bout 27 ish

2.0 td manaul elegance...xenons,,keyless start...electric seats....silver roof rails,,,,columbus....led rear lights

going to see dealers in may when I can see it in the flesh

27k for a 2.0 TDi Elegance is outrageous! Would anyone honestly pay that for one?

• Like 3

27k for a 2.0 TDi Elegance is outrageous! Would anyone honestly pay that for one?

Yup! :) Although you'll probably be able to secure it for 24k with the usual dealer discounts expected. :)

Without doubt be buying an A4 Avant, C class estate or 3 series BM at that sort of money, 24k is still an obscene amount of money for a non vRS Skoda Octavia however well specified it is.

I just paid 20k for my more or less loaded MK2 Blackline estate DSG which was great value for a car that would have amounted to a 25.5k factory order before discount; had it been much more id have walked away.

Edited by pipsyp

Without doubt be buying an A4 Avant, C class estate or 3 series BM at that sort of money, 24k is still an obscene amount of money for a non vRS Skoda Octavia however well specified it is.

I just paid 20k for my more or less loaded MK2 Blackline estate DSG which was great value for a car that would have amounted to a 25.5k factory order before discount; had it been much more id have walked away.

Yep - and you've got the last of the old version....

I think I'm also being pushed away from an Octavia, not getting much confidence that a vRS is going to be anywhere under £25,000. Too rich for my blood, I'll be looking at an A4 I think.

That's a good point,buying a mkll this time of year is crazy with the mklll just out.

I was very tempted to buy a new Vrs mkll but it would **** me off seeing new models drive around then :)

Edited by Davidsr20

I think I'm also being pushed away from an Octavia, not getting much confidence that a vRS is going to be anywhere under £25,000. Too rich for my blood, I'll be looking at an A4 I think.

Looking at list prices the base spec A4 Avant SE (I'm only interested in estates) is £27k for the manual 2L diesel. For that amount you are getting a fully loaded automatic Elegance with navigation as part of the standard spec (also 15 PS more power for the same BIK band if you are bothered about that sort of thing). Obviously YMMV with negotiating a discount but to me the rise in price of the Octavia hasn't made the equivalent Audi or BMW any better value for money. My company car budget is tied to the current list price of the BMW 318d SE Saloon.

Best regards

Its all objective but i think a late MK2 vRS particularly a car to Blackline spec is more desirable than any current MK3; sorry but even an Elegance with sports suspension and 18" wheels is dynamically inferior and frankly boring by comparison. Thats just my opinion but then i wouldnt have bought any other Octavia than a vRS.

We wont start seeing the new vRS until much later this year at which point I can bet it will be petrol only for a while the diesel not coming along immediately. Going by the fact people are already looking at 27k diesel Elegance models the vRS will initially be ALOT more expensive with little or no dealer discounts.

Everybody knows the MK3 isnt leaps and bounds better than the MK2, evolution not revolution and in fact its probably taken some backward steps in some areas (beam rear suspension upto 150ps and other areas of cost cutting).

Say what you like about the Blackline but it represents considerably better value than any current MK3 would; and residually the new one wont hammer the old one that much.....i dont care anyway as I have a decent GFV on mine.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 2

I have a 4 year old A4 and thought I would get a 3 series. I am a company car user, so lease prices are more important, though of course I pay tax in proportion to list price including options.

• A4 Avant 2.0TDie 136PS SE Technik (for the leather and Nav as standard) £30600 116g/km including a few options inc paint, lumbar, heated seats
  • 320d Efficient Dynamics Estate 2.0D 161PS 112g/km £33125 including a few options inc paint, lumbar, heated seats & leather
  • Octavia 2.0D 150PS Elegance Estate 110g/km £25535 including a few options inc paint, heated seats / front screen, keyless entry, full leather, better Nav screen

We all make our own choices, and mine was to order the Octavia.

I get 0-60 in 8.6s, 67.3mpg combined (theoretical - let's not go off down that side road...), 610 litres boot, more cabin space and after having the Octavia demo all weekend, I am finding that my A4 centre console is looking dated.

(BMW 8.3s, 65.7mpg, 495 litres, Audi 9.7s, 62.8mpg, 490 litres - and having had a 320d Estate for a weekend, the Audi boot is more usable).

Here is my final kit list:

Octavia Mk3 2.0D 150bhp Elegance Combi in Steel Grey with Chrome Window Surrounds & Chrome Roof Rails, Full Beige Leather, Columbus 8" SatNav inc 12GB Hard Disk Jukebox, Heated Screen / Seats / Nozzles, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel.

And... Climate Control, Cruise Control, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, DAB Radio, CD Drive and 2 SD Card Slots / AUX IN / USB Stick, Electric Folding Mirrors, Headlight Washers, Hill Hold Control, High Beam Assist, Adjustable Lumbar Support, Rear Parking Sensors with display, Servotronic Steering.

But hey, you get electric tailgate as standard on the Beemer. And a harder life, if you live on a hill in a snowy winter. Oh, and a tiny footwell - I had a small panic when my size 11s got tangled up with the left footrest and the 3 offset pedals...

Edited by Juniperz
  • Like 1

I have a 4 year old A4 and thought I would get a 3 series. I am a company car user, so lease prices are more important, though of course I pay tax in proportion to list price including options.

• A4 Avant 2.0TDie 136PS SE Technik (for the leather and Nav as standard) £30600 116g/km including a few options inc paint, lumbar, heated seats
  • 320d Efficient Dynamics Estate 2.0D 161PS 112g/km £33125 including a few options inc paint, lumbar, heated seats & leather
  • Octavia 2.0D 150PS Elegance Estate 110g/km £25535 including a few options inc paint, heated seats / front screen, keyless entry, full leather, better Nav screen

I get 0-60 in 8.6s, 67.3mpg combined (theoretical - let's not go off down that side road...), 610 litres boot, more cabin space and after having the Octavia demo all weekend, I am finding that my A4 centre console is looking dated.

(BMW 8.3s, 65.7mpg, 495 litres, Audi 9.7s, 62.8mpg, 490 litres - and having had a 320d Estate for a weekend, the Audi boot is more usable).

Octavia Mk3 2.0D 150bhp Elegance Combi in Steel Grey with Chrome Window Surrounds & Chrome Roof Rails, Full Beige Leather, Columbus 8" SatNav inc 12GB Hard Disk Jukebox, Heated Screen / Seats / Nozzles, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel.

And... Climate Control, Cruise Control, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, DAB Radio, CD Drive and 2 SD Card Slots / AUX IN / USB Stick, Electric Folding Mirrors, Headlight Washers, Hill Hold Control, High Beam Assist, Adjustable Lumbar Support, Rear Parking Sensors with display, Servotronic Steering.

But hey, you get electric tailgate as standard on the Beemer. And a harder life, if you live on a hill in a snowy winter. Oh, and a tiny footwell - I had a small panic when my size 11s got tangled up with the left footrest and the 3 offset pedals...

Sounds like a good spec on yours but i just would not dream of paying 25k on an octavia. As someone else posted i woudlnt even spend that on a VRS model. The best thing about my (old) car is that it was 20k and has more power and DSG and all the nice VRS bits. Unless skoda introduce a VAT free deal on the new one my money would go elsewhere.

Sounds like a good spec on yours but i just would not dream of paying 25k on an octavia. As someone else posted i woudlnt even spend that on a VRS model. The best thing about my (old) car is that it was 20k and has more power and DSG and all the nice VRS bits. Unless skoda introduce a VAT free deal on the new one my money would go elsewhere.

Fair enough. For me, it's costing about £20 over my company car allowance and a lot less tax than for the Germans. Different economics for company car drivers...

Don't get me wrong - the Blackline's are still a good car and being last of the line, shouldn't have any bugs to be ironed out. It shouldn't really be compared to a new Mk3, although its got the same name on the bootlid..

As for the A4 option; a guy I know has just got about £6k knocked off one (A4 Quattro Blackline 2.0 TDi Avant) without trying all that hard..he was actually close to getting a Superb (similar spec) but the Audi dealer did him a slightly better deal based on residual values (he works on a Cost To Change philosophy).

As Juniperz says above, the numbers work very different when you're a company car driver - and even then the goalposts change when lease costs are part of what you can (or can't) have (previously it was based on depreciation value, now on lease+mpg cost for me). In my case, if its on the list, I can have it. If it's not, I can't. For me, it's more about standard trim than options as options bump up the lease cost disproportionally it seems?

Fair enough. For me, it's costing about £20 over my company car allowance and a lot less tax than for the Germans. Different economics for company car drivers...

How much for the same car without all the fancy optional extras out of interest as obvioulsy im comparing my virtual base spec car to a highly specced one thats newer?

Its a bit different when its a company car granted but i wouldnt be spending 27k of my own money on an Octavia. Yes a C class Merc or A4 Avant arent quite as comodious but by god they are nicer cars; I only bought my Octavia because it was an amazing value proposition for its performance, size, equipment and half decent quality. I could (and perhaps should) have looked at a nearly new Merc or Audi but I wanted the peace of mind of a 3 year warranty and the Skoda won out in the end

One thing I think you are making a bit of an error of judgement in is the crazy spec you've put on it; sure I agree if you have the option to put a couple of things on the car to make it a bit nicer to live with for 3/4 years fair enough but all youll end up doing is paying more tax on a much higher list price (you have to pay tax on the P11D value of thr car with options, not its basic price otherwise technically youre evading paying the right tax on the car but Im sure i dont need to tell you that).

Each to their own and all that but frankly id have taken the standard car, skipped the columbus (it has nav anyway) the leather and kessy; the overtly expensive options and things that are just toys for the sake of it and just stuck to the essentials as so not to be paying even more money to my company and tax man each month.

Edited by pipsyp

How much for the same car without all the fancy optional extras out of interest as obvioulsy im comparing my virtual base spec car to a highly specced one thats newer?

Octavia £22735

A4 £29200

320 £30265

One thing I think you are making a bit of an error of judgement in is the crazy spec you've put on it; sure I agree if you have the option to put a couple of things on the car to make it a bit nicer to live with for 3/4 years fair enough but all youll end up doing is paying more tax on a much higher list price (you have to pay tax on the P11D value of thr car with options, not its basic price otherwise technically youre evading paying the right tax on the car but Im sure i dont need to tell you that).

Each to their own and all that but frankly id have taken the standard car, skipped the columbus (it has nav anyway) the leather and kessy; the overtly expensive options and things that are just toys for the sake of it and just stuck to the essentials as so not to be paying even more money to my company and tax man each month.

Each to their own as you say - I like gadgets and I am financially able to afford this spec. The Columbus was an extravagance, but I have a hard drive full of music in my glovebox at the moment, and the 8" screen is lovely, so I coughed up. Full leather for £400 is a bargain if you have ever looked at German prices, and I was going to pay £200 for hot seats whatever happened. I probably shouldn't have gone for KESSY, but I have never had it so... Sure, I could have had a 1.6D SE hatch but I decided not to. This is still way cheaper (amount over allowance + BIK tax) than the Audi was 4 years ago (BIK tax rate increases every year) and I am not so much of a snob that I care about going from Audi to Skoda. Smaller outside, bigger inside, 300kg lighter... I think I win.

• Like 1

Octavia £22735

A4 £29200

320 £30265

Each to their own as you say - I like gadgets and I am financially able to afford this spec. The Columbus was an extravagance, but I have a hard drive full of music in my glovebox at the moment, and the 8" screen is lovely, so I coughed up. Full leather for £400 is a bargain if you have ever looked at German prices, and I was going to pay £200 for hot seats whatever happened. I probably shouldn't have gone for KESSY, but I have never had it so... Sure, I could have had a 1.6D SE hatch but I decided not to. This is still way cheaper (amount over allowance + BIK tax) than the Audi was 4 years ago (BIK tax rate increases every year) and I am not so much of a snob that I care about going from Audi to Skoda. Smaller outside, bigger inside, 300kg lighter... I think I win.

Sure thing if you can why not; I just hate the thought of paying HMRC one more bean than I have to; they take enough as it is :-D I also dont have that problem at my place; its car allowance or a company car from a basic list, some good, some OK, most bad and all I get to do is choose the colour......car allowance it was then.....still I get a fuel card which is handy.

Agree the rationale. My aim was to reduce the cost of my Qashqai+2 Tekna and save on mpg. I went for 2.0 Elegance with no options and this has saved me about £200pm. I could have saved £50 more by going with a 1.6S but is just to basic for 4 years 100K miles. I drew the line at Elegance with no options as they are nice but not essential. Audi etc where way more and would rather have fully loaded Octy over smaller, more basic premium brand. I guess we are all different and the market caters for us all..

Re Audi A4 real world prices. On DtD an Audi A4 Avant SE 177bhp Quattro + Adaptive cruise + lane assist comes in at £25,500(ish).

That's a 4x4 estate remember with a good standard of basic spec.

I bet if I go to my Skoda dealer when the vRS is eventually out (because I can't get a 177bhp Octavia III yet) and say supply me with a similarly equipped Octavia, he won't be able to. Even forgetting the 4x4 'dream' option.

Never thought I might choose Audi over Skoda! (I'm on my 4th Octavia).

I have probably said enough on the subject, and "cash" prices don't affect me but... One reason why I didn't go for another A4 is because the completely new lighter B9 A4 will be out in the next year or two. I would rather be driving around in a brand new model than a 5 year old design. Ditto Passat.

• Like 1