Buying a CRD-T tuning box from DTUK

Ok so Ive give the box a thorough testing over the weekend and below is my findings and opinions:

1. Engine torque is now very punchy and is delivered very aggressively, awesome feel and makes the car much much more fruity to drive B)

If you have a manual not DSG you can stop reading there as thats all that really applies.

2. My map on the box was set to 4+2 (map 4 plus a fine tuning factor of +2 = pretty much top setting), unfortunately the DSG is NOT happy with this in D and S mode. Gear changes when the car is driven normally under light acceleration are snappy & jerky and the box just cant decide what gear to be in. Ace for ultimate power (fine on a manual) but un-driveable in D and S (Flappy paddles / manual mode are smooth as ever and remain unaffected)

3. I changed the box settings to 4 +0 and this returned all that is good about the DSG - ultra smooth gear changes, no hesitation all is right again. The power delivery is still good but not quite as aggressive as 4 +2 (I kinda liked the aggressive torque punch).

4. I changed the settings to 4 +1 and DSG gear changes are still smooth but most of the 'punch' from the engine is back - great to drive in all modes and this is what my car will be staying in. MPG is up by an indicated 1mpg (no difference really) and the car remains awesome to drive. The only 1 minor thing is it isn't happy doing full throttle, full revs gear changes in D mode (leave the accel down until it revs out and changes gear) but I never do that in D anyway - it leaves the car in gear to long and out of the power band. Changing the setting to 4 +0 rectifies this though.

To summarise I think this box is pretty good, increases power and more importantly gives the CR 170 engine the low down punchy torque it needed from the factory.

There is 1 thing Andrew@DTUK, I have managed to loose one of the screws that holds the box together when changing the settings :bandit: could you any chance supply me with another 1 (or another 2 in case I loose one again?) thanks!

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Good write up there sir..........shame I have the petrol but as we only do 5000 miles a year it was not worth getting a diesel anymore.

But if I did I would happily get another DTUK box, as having had one on my Vectra SRI estate I was so impressed, especially when scaring the crap out of boy racers, lol.

• Like 1

one pro is you can move it to your next car (if its suitable for it)

The CRD-T will transfer over to any vehicle we offer the CRD2+ or CRD-T

So thats all BMW's, Merc 4 and 6 cylinder and 1000's of others.

The cost is a maximum of £50 + vat (for a crd-t loom), and the software is FREE :)

• Like 1

The fact it will transfer over makes me a bit sceptical. Does it actually have model specific maps on it?

No reason to be sceptical, the modules are blank and we add vehicle specific software to the system.

Phil, great feedback :)

Have you tried the other maps too?

(Drop me a text on Tuesday and ill stick a screw or 2 in the post)

I haven't tried any other Maps as I'm after maximum power really. Maybe as your developing the Maps there could be a way to keep the power output of map 4+1 but lower the settings at very high rpm on the diesel (4250rpm+) to fix the full rpm gear changes in D & S mode? I could change the settings down but it is so much fun to drive with the 4+1 map!!

I will give you a text tomorrow as a reminder about the screws, thank you.

I have also sent 2 emails to different local companies with rolling roads (i've used 1 of them before) and asked for a price a standard power run as i'd love to get it dyno'd :rofl:

Phil

I'm sure a small tweak would/could sort that.

Drop me a text tomorrow and ill have a look at the curves, as I'm sure one of them is very similar to map 4 but tails off slightly.

If you can try the others too, this may help me give you what you want ;)

Phil

I'm sure a small tweak would/could sort that.

Drop me a text tomorrow and ill have a look at the curves, as I'm sure one of them is very similar to map 4 but tails off slightly.

If you can try the others too, this may help me give you what you want ;)

Ok will do, maybe i'll try map 3+2 as it might be just as punchy without the high rpm issue? not sure how performance is affected as you go down the main map levels. It will take a bit of time though as i don't use the car in the week much. Thanks for your help though, customer service = :rock:

Ok will do, maybe i'll try map 3+2 as it might be just as punchy without the high rpm issue? not sure how performance is affected as you go down the main map levels. It will take a bit of time though as i don't use the car in the week much. Thanks for your help though, customer service = :rock:

Ill take a look tomorrow and let you know :)

Phil,

if you check maps 3 and 4, the red curve (fuelling) is identical, the only difference is within the yellow curve (boost)

If you then take a look at map 2, youll see the red curves tails off? I think that will sort the issue.

The other option is to turn the box down to plus 1 ;) not that i would want to to do that lol..

Ive sent a revised map number 2 to biggy7, basically its the power curve of map 2, but with the boost curve from map 4..

Andrew

• Like 1

Is there one for the petrol Vrs?

Yes, we do have systems available for the VRS 2.0 200PS :)

DTE Systems who manufacture our kits are starting to offer more and more tuning kits for Petrol cars, but its not something we offer in the uk (yet)

• Like 1

thanks Andrew :)

got a day off tomorrow so will be fitting the box as soon as it arrives

Ive had a tweak of the maps on your system, feel free to give me a call tomorrow and ill explain all.

• Like 1

Yes, we do have systems available for the VRS 2.0 200PS :)

DTE Systems who manufacture our kits are starting to offer more and more tuning kits for Petrol cars, but its not something we offer in the uk (yet)

Keep us posted................I might want one for the petrol VRS.

• Like 1