Buying a CRD-T tuning box from DTUK

My box arrived today as promised by Andrew by Special Delivery

DSC0970.jpg

Nice little gift from DTUK - thanks :)

keyring.png

fitted, not sure you can make out but its thje black tubing going to the left of the rail and down front of engine to the boost adapter

DSC0972.jpg

DSC0973.jpg

DSC0974.jpg

DSC0976.jpg

DSC0977.jpg

in the box you get lots of reading material, manuals, a blank block adapter incase you need to take out the box and leave cables attached and a torx bit which i thought was a nice touch!

anyway, managed to get it fitted, the boost plug was a bit of a pain to get to, but i persevered and managed to get at it

my box came shipped with Map 4 Zero already set, opening the case can be a pit of pain, 4 torx screws to undo to change one jumper but i guess this doesn't happen at alot after you've chosen the right map for you.

went off for a spin and instantly noticed a difference, it was just a lot snappier and it just went without any lag.

came on this thread and read Xpower was happy with Map 4 +1 so i set mine to that, again of for another spin and WOW, more aggressive in a good way, the slight press of the accelerator and it just wants to go, gears seem to change perfectly no worries from the DSG as of yet although i need to drive car more over the next few days to test it properly

im no way technical when it comes to torque/power graphs/curves, ive yet to try the other maps on the box, i really wanted power and torque and if map 4 is the best for it then i will be keeping it at that. the main reason why i went for a DTUK box over remap was warranty reason, car being brand new i dont like the idea of having the ECU opened up to remap, plus with a box it can go with you to your next car (with new cables and software flash).

anyway, i will try and get onto the other maps, Andrew is map 4 supposed to give the most power on these boxes? just saves me having to open the case up lol

more thoughts to follow over the next few days

• Like 2

I knew you like it :-)

I have sent my box back to Andrew@DTUK as after a chat with him he is tweaking the maps for me at my request to my specification hopefully.

Biggy7 - Andrew will have attached a print out in the box (graphs with the red and yellow lines) showing what maps are loaded on to your unit. I have seen the maps he sent to you as we were using them to tweak mine (I had very slightly different ones to you). On these graphs yellow is boost and red is fuelling.

Andrew will correct me if I'm wrong (feel free to do so :-D) but from reading the graphs and testing on my car show:

Map 2 = Torque is delivered less aggressively but the boost is highest on this map, this provides the strongest pull through 2500 - 3500 rpm.

Map 3 = Same fuelling curve as map 2, but boost is brought in earlier which gives you the awesome torque at lower rpm, boost doesn't climb quite as high though so pull is fractionally less at 2500 to 3500rpm

Map 4 = same boost and low rpm torque as map 3, but fuelling hangs on a little which may be noticeable at higher rpm 3500rpm+

So choose what you like :-) more aggressive torque or smoother torque and a little more shunt higher up the rev range - the beauty of this tuning box is you can try both and decide!

I did tell my boss who has a Mercedes C220d how good mine was and he has also brought one now - maybe I should be on some sort of commission - lol :-p

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Great write up mate, explanation helped a lot!

I'm currently on map 2 plus 1 but will try map 3.

Tbh I'm not sure what i prefer yet lol.

Which map on the dtuk box is closest to a software remap ?

I would reccomend you try these 2 maps back to back. Remember to try them up to max rpm until the DSG changes gear on its own in D mode:

Map 2+2

Map 4+1

If you find that map 4+1 hesitates during the gear change at full throttle max rpm then move to map 3+1 (very much doubt it will though)

Guess you'll have to kinda trust me on this but I have been testing this on my car for a few days.

You can try map 4+2 but my car wasn't happy changing gear at light throttle.

Let us know how you get on trying the 2 maps I have suggested.

• Like 1

Having read the write up, and also being a DSG owner, I'm even happier I went down the remap route

It's absolutely personalised to the car, as opposed to a generic version of the type of car, and I've never once had anything but totally smooth gear changes

All tunes and maps are developed over time, now Andrew has tweaked the maps engine torque is really really good and pull throughout the rev range is also excellent. All coupled with now flawless DSG gear changes at any rpm on all but map 4+2.

For me the fact that DTUK is taking customer feedback onboard and finely adjusting the maps to get perfection is a good thing.

Personally my golf GTTDI 130 was mapped and at that point I would have said remap over tuning box any day, but the CRD-T from DTUK box that adjusts fuelling and boost has given me equal performance gain as the remap and made me review my initial opinions.

I suppose the only was to tell is a mapped CR and a CRD-T box CR driven back to back and rollered back to back. For us the main issue is warranty and that an OBD port remap is unfortunately not available.

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Just been out and Changed to map 4 +1, went fot a spirited drive and really impressed. Gear changes were fine on full throttle and it pulled very nicely.

Will try map 2+2 arbive given the map a good run in, otherwise I probably won't feel any difference lol.

Just been out and Changed to map 4 +1, went fot a spirited drive and really impressed. Gear changes were fine on full throttle and it pulled very nicely.

Will try map 2+2 arbive given the map a good run in, otherwise I probably won't feel any difference lol.

Did you feel the difference between the map you were on and 4+1? Did you like it?

Yeh mate. Was different. This one just feels like power is on tap which I like :)

Let me drive it like this for a day or so then il change to map 2+2 and see if I can feel a difference.

So far map 4+1 is my favourite.

Phil,

Did you receive my last email with my interpretation of your request/idea?

I've never stopped all day, and didn't get your box in the post, so ill post it tomorrow for you, but ill also send a little something for you to try/test that will put an even bigger smile on your face

Details to follow.....

• Like 2

Phil,

Did you receive my last email with my interpretation of your request/idea?

I've never stopped all day, and didn't get your box in the post, so ill post it tomorrow for you, but ill also send a little something for you to try/test that will put an even bigger smile on your face

Details to follow.....

Sorry Andrew I've just looked at my email and it's there yes. Looking at the graphs you sent me can you give map 4 the boost curve of map 2 and that will be all good :-)

And now I'm interested in this little something extra?

I currently have Lennox's blank plug now in so I can use the car until my box comes back. thanks

Sorry Andrew I've just looked at my email and it's there yes. Looking at the graphs you sent me can you give map 4 the boost curve of map 2 and that will be all good :-)

And now I'm interested in this little something extra?

I currently have Lennox's blank plug now in so I can use the car until my box comes back. thanks

Ive posted your CRD-T back to you today, as well as one of these for you to try..

http://www.diesel-pe...tails.php?id=15

Edited by Andrew@DTUK
  • Like 1

I've struggled with the crd-t. It's been on my vrs almost 18 months and did cause hesitation/juddering with maps 3 and 4 after 100+miles. I finally had to settle with map 2 -2, which has been faultless ever since. It's great to have other feedback on the box because maybe I just need to try altering the settings again.

Andrew, is it possible that having the jumper on minus 2 is all that 'my engine' will take with the pedal box fitted as well?

Sorry to jump in here, but question for Andrew if you could answer please.

I have toyed with the idea that my vRS TDi was already remapped when I bought it but with nothing to compare to ie another vRS or another VAG 170 PD to try.

My question is what would happen(if anything) if I put a tuning box on it having already been remapped?

• Like 2

I would reccomend you try these 2 maps back to back. Remember to try them up to max rpm until the DSG changes gear on its own in D mode:

Map 2+2

Map 4+1

If you find that map 4+1 hesitates during the gear change at full throttle max rpm then move to map 3+1 (very much doubt it will though)

Guess you'll have to kinda trust me on this but I have been testing this on my car for a few days.

You can try map 4+2 but my car wasn't happy changing gear at light throttle.

Let us know how you get on trying the 2 maps I have suggested.

manged to try these 2 maps ocer last few days

map 4 +1 is immense, the slight touch of the accelerator and the power is instance, does the turbo kick in early on this one? as there is no lag lol

map 2 +2 feels completely different, less lower down power but its there later on, not sure if i like it though. i thought this was the same as map4? doesn't feel like it to me though

both have no issues with gear changing but for me map 4+1 transforms the car and very pleased with it,

not tried map1 or map3 yet but think il keep to map4+1, mpg is up to but a couple which is good :)

have you got your box back yet? interested to hear how you are finding the pedal box aswelll

let us know

• Like 1

Had one of the original DTUK boxes 3 years ago that was later upgraded to CRD-T Spec.. It was used on 2009 and 2010 CR Hatch/Estate and provided good results on both.

Andrew was very good to deal with and always open to ideas/feedback.

From memory 3+1 was the best setting at that time(expect software has been revised since then) which for me was less peaky and more progressive.

Did notice higher output mapping caused DPF regeneration to occur more frequently and the occasional genie from the spout!

Overall would go down that route again as its a less invasive solution. :thumbup:

• Like 1

any update xpower?

Been really busy this weekend but i've been using my car quite a bit so I had a good chance to test out my CRD-t which I got back on friday (quick turn around) after andrew had re-flashed it. So my map 4+1 is now really good, no issues with full throttle gear changes of any kind.

I have been playing a little and Ive found an even better map setting, smoother, more punch and generally a better all round feeling and drive! Not sure if i'm really meant to use it but having driven with it i'm not going back unless it presents an issue as the car is now unbelievable to drive - it's just awesome!!! Current setting is map 2 +3 just try it?! I've been running it for a few days and the only way I can describe it is just like a silk smooth engine with a kick up the arse when you need it and a super strong smooth pull throughout the entire rev range!!!

The Pedal box that Andrew sent to me to test : I haven't yet given my feedback to Andrew yet so I will update you on that when I have done that.

TRY MAP 2 +3 although i'm not sure our boxes contain the exact same maps?

• Like 1

Had DTUK box on my old Vectra, and it was awesome, a really good piece of kit, would not hesitate to get another one if I still had a diesel.

Yes as did I.

I was slightly alarmed buying a tuning box from a man wearing a bloodstained butchers apron but the product and his service were top notch.

Yes as did I.

I was slightly alarmed buying a tuning box from a man wearing a bloodstained butchers apron but the product and his service were top notch.

The good old days :)

Thanks for the kind words ..