Buying a CRD-T tuning box from DTUK

Dear all,

I've read through all this very interesting thread for I was/am considering the opportunity of "tuning" my new O. 1.6 TDI 105HP (which can be described in many positive ways but not... er... "quick").

What leaves me perplexed about all this "tuning" (either via box-addition or re-programming) is the fact that all the providers I found deal only with TURBO engines (either diesel or gasoline).

Now, being (over?)suspicious, I'd say that all this blah-blah about "optimising" really ends up in just raising the turbo pressure to squeeze extra power from the engine.

As the turbo pressure can be raised relatively easily, not an overly sophisticated technology is required to raise power&torque.

Problem is: how does this reflect on reliability, durability and consumption?

As far as consumption is concerned, we all know that power is extracted by the fuel we use and – although some minor optimization can be achieved – the QUANTITY of used fuel (via engine displacement or RPM or overcharging) is directly responsible for the output. Therefore: how can we achieve major performance improvement (+ 25-35%) by simple "tuning" – expecially considering that the engines we're dealing with have already been designed and tuned by big car companies?

Regarding reliability and durability, I'd like to see a thick record of users who "tuned" their cars and THEN used them for at least 60-70,000 km. A couple years' usage of two-three users, sorry, is not sufficient statistic.

My two cents...

Edited by duro

Just to let you know I had a 'test' today with a 60 plate A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI up a long sweeping hill from about 10mph up to ???mph. It was pretty much dead equal with me catching him at the beginning and him staying equal distance the quicker we went :-)

Before anyone says anything about him not giving it everything - he was, trust me lol.

Not very often I do this as I have almost outgrown my boy racer youth :-D

Loving the tuning box as the Audi has 208bhp or 221bhp depending on the exact model!

Dear all,

I've read through all this very interesting thread for I was/am considering the opportunity of "tuning" my new O. 1.6 TDI 105HP (which can be described in many positive ways but not... er... "quick").

What leaves me perplexed about all this "tuning" (either via box-addition or re-programming) is the fact that all the providers I found deal only with TURBO engines (either diesel or gasoline).

Now, being (over?)suspicious, I'd say that all this blah-blah about "optimising" really ends up in just raising the turbo pressure to squeeze extra power from the engine.

As the turbo pressure can be raised relatively easily, not an overly sophisticated technology is required to raise power&torque.

Problem is: how does this reflect on reliability, durability and consumption?

As far as consumption is concerned, we all know that power is extracted by the fuel we use and – although some minor optimization can be achieved – the QUANTITY of used fuel (via engine displacement or RPM or overcharging) is directly responsible for the output. Therefore: how can we achieve major performance improvement (+ 25-35%) by simple "tuning" – expecially considering that the engines we're dealing with have already been designed and tuned by big car companies?

Regarding reliability and durability, I'd like to see a thick record of users who "tuned" their cars and THEN used them for at least 60-70,000 km. A couple years' usage of two-three users, sorry, is not sufficient statistic.

My two cents...

I fitted a crd box to my vectra Sri and did 130, 000 miles with no issues. It was the basic box with just one plug to the common rail, and a screw to adjust the fuelling.

Interesting read about tuning boxes and remaps.

Knew these boxes were iffy.

http://www.endtuning...uningboxes.html

Interesting article. Sounds plausible but then im no engineer.

Certainly makes you think about the differences between a box and a map. I just thought the box was a map in a box. Apharently not.

Even if the box is just a resistor, as long as it works and doesnt affect long term reliability then does it really matter? They may be the only option anyway what with ECU's being harder and harder to modify.

• Like 1

@ xpower:

Been driving for 35 years and learnt from the very first days that direct comparison of road performances between diesel and gasoline cars is deceptive of their HP.

My second car was a Peugeot 205 CTI 1.6 with 115HP. On flat roads I was pretty unbeatable, thanks to its power but mainly 'cause of its kart-like manners, brakes and roadholding.

But I remember being easily surpassed going uphill by Golf TD's, having only 70HP in those days. Torque is everything!

@ xpower:

Been driving for 35 years and learnt from the very first days that direct comparison of road performances between diesel and gasoline cars is deceptive of their HP.

My second car was a Peugeot 205 CTI 1.6 with 115HP. On flat roads I was pretty unbeatable, thanks to its power but mainly 'cause of its kart-like manners, brakes and roadholding.

But I remember being easily surpassed going uphill by Golf TD's, having only 70HP in those days. Torque is everything!

A 115hp 205 unbeatable? really? I think you are getting a bit carried away.

• Like 1

@ ed209

If you read well my post before reacting, you'd find the word "pretty" before "unbeatable".

That's like, er... "almost" (English), "quasi" (Italian), "presque" (French), "fast" (German), etc.

Anyway, my post was about the relative importance of diesel torque vs. absolute power, not about the 205 unbeatability.

Besides, remember not to judge the rest of the world on the basis of your driving skills.

Interesting article. Sounds plausible but then im no engineer.

Certainly makes you think about the differences between a box and a map. I just thought the box was a map in a box. Apharently not.

Even if the box is just a resistor, as long as it works and doesnt affect long term reliability then does it really matter? They may be the only option anyway what with ECU's being harder and harder to modify.

one thing i find a little strange about this article, and others like it is the fact that they're all written by remapping companies..

Could be a coincidence perhaps?

Edited by Andrew@DTUK

one thing i find a little strange about this article, and others like it is the fact that they're all written by remapping companies..

Ahi, ahi, ahi! :giggle:

Well, what do you expect? I'd find it even more strange if articles against chip-tuning would be written by chip-tuning companies.

Problem is not "Who has written it" but "Is it correct?"

Edited by duro

Weve been working with our partner DTE Systems in Germany on the latest 2.0 TDI 150PS which is shared with the latest Octavia

audi20150ps.png

Their new Audi A3 on their 150,000 euro Maha dyno :)

And the end result..

audi20tdi150psdynograph.jpg

179 hp and 395nm

These results were from our CRD-T module on a base, out of the box setting on a car with less than 1000 miles on the clock.

These will be available to purchase within the next 7 days

If you are an existing customer running a CRD-T on a MK2 CR 140/170PS we can upgrade your system allowing you to transfer your kit over to the latest 2.0 150PS (contact us for details)

@ ed209

If you read well my post before reacting, you'd find the word "pretty" before "unbeatable".

That's like, er... "almost" (English), "quasi" (Italian), "presque" (French), "fast" (German), etc.

Anyway, my post was about the relative importance of diesel torque vs. absolute power, not about the 205 unbeatability.

Besides, remember not to judge the rest of the world on the basis of your driving skills.

Aye my driving skills are crap, bit of track expereince and 15 years as an advanced driver responding to emergency calls without one accident. I think i probably need to do a retest.

• Like 1

Aye my driving skills are crap, bit of track expereince and 15 years as an advanced driver responding to emergency calls without one accident. I think i probably need to do a retest.

There's always margin for improvement. :hi:

My blackline feels so much faster its incredible. So I can believe it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Have you tried any of the other less energetic settings just to see if there are gains to be had in the frugality department? :)

• Like 1

I am going to run a tank on each to see what they are like. So first tank on setting 1 was about the same as standard. 3rd and 4th gear pull was much better than standard and it wasnt as lively as 4.1 in 1st and 2nd gear.

• Like 1

or could they be true and your gettin worried?, just an observation, like you done with the article.

Personally i have no interest it was just an interesting article i came across.

or could they be true and your gettin worried?, just an observation, like you done with the article.

Personally i have no interest it was just an interesting article i came across.

No worries whatsoever Mr Grizzle, 8 years and over 13000 systems kind if outs my mind at rest somewhat.. But thanks for your concern

• Like 1

I can definitely vouch for DTUK, and Andrew is a great guy to deal with. Had a box on my Astra H CDTI back in the day.

Cheers Ben, we had our own Mr Grizzle on the Astra forum too :)

All tunes and maps are developed over time, now Andrew has tweaked the maps engine torque is really really good and pull throughout the rev range is also excellent. All coupled with now flawless DSG gear changes at any rpm on all but map 4+2.

For me the fact that DTUK is taking customer feedback onboard and finely adjusting the maps to get perfection is a good thing.

Personally my golf GTTDI 130 was mapped and at that point I would have said remap over tuning box any day, but the CRD-T from DTUK box that adjusts fuelling and boost has given me equal performance gain as the remap and made me review my initial opinions.

I suppose the only was to tell is a mapped CR and a CRD-T box CR driven back to back and rollered back to back. For us the main issue is warranty and that an OBD port remap is unfortunately not available.

Ive posted your CRD-T back to you today, as well as one of these for you to try..

http://www.diesel-pe...tails.php?id=15

How did you get on with the Pedal box? :)

I have now sent it back to Andrew as it didn't really work well with my car. It would be a good product on a manual (it also has a Eco mode with reduces the sensitivity of the throttle pedal - great for bad weather / snow driving)

Unfortunately it caused my DSG to make some gear changes which weren't ideal - changing down when I don't want it to. Andrew from DTUK did say they had sold them to customers with DSG and had no problems. shame :-(

Edited by xpower