Cruise control retrofit to fabia

Hi all,

I completed the fit of cruise control to my 03 fabia comfort estate.

All was going well till the dreaded T11a pin 10. The instructions make it sound so simple.

It's when you realise that you really can't get to it, you can't even see it.

After googling and reading posts on this forum, I really didn't want to go down the route of running a seperate white wire from the engine bay (the ecu) to stalk loom. I also didn't want to remove the dashboard, as no doubt creeks would be the result.

As luck would have it, I happened to have small mirror on a telescoping tube with led's on it made by Rolson (I think it was from maplins), anyway this enabled me to carry out the task.

It wasn't easy even with that, and I read don't recommend it.

If you are up for trying it.. You're looking for 3 connectors, blue/tan/and white, siting next to each other, in that order.

(I took out the relays and a relay blanking panel also to get one hand up there.)

You need to slide across a metal slider in order to be able to unclip the white connector.

Then pin 10 is top middle of that connector.

I found the pin didnt want to go in, I'd got that far and I felt cursed!

I took a small flat screwdriver and burrowed the hold out a bit, and also soldered an open paperclip to the back of the pin to so I could shove the little blighter (pin) in deeper. This eventually worked.

I hope this helps someone, although I'd recommends the ecu method after going through that greif.

I'm enjoy long cruise!

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I'm not going to use the extended wire to the ECU work around. I will be installing it the way the kit is upplied. The guys on here will think i'm foolish but that is the way I want it done.

I'm more than capable of doing the works myself just need a definate location for the terminal board located on the transverse wall that holds the T11a location. A lot of people have posted stating that they have persisted and used the T11a pin but not actually elaborated on it's exact location and method used to gain access etc.

I have also noted that some people have stated that there may be a difference between years as to whether or not you use the T11b location. The kit supplied to me this week with part number BEA400002 only shows the illustration for the first location. I have seen other images on here with the instruction showing both locations. My Skoda is a 2006 1.4 tdi BNM 70 hp (Classic)

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Too much faffing to install myself, so I let the professional, Tech1e, do mine.

Awesome job too :)

Mine came with cruise control but to be honest I dont find it all that good

Everytime u switch it on you have to brake the second someone gets in front it's not like modern systems where the car will detect the car in front and adjust it's speed the fab will plough straight on through lol

Edited by Jay29

Mine came with cruise control but to be honest I dont find it all that good

Everytime u switch it on you have to brake the second someone gets in front it's not like modern systems where the car will detect the car in front and adjust it's speed the fab will plough straight on through lol

Yes it's a bit of an old system (but so is the mk1, was what do you expect :p ) but when used on the motorway in conjunction with a bit of forward planning it isn't that bad.

I've just travelled from Bristol to Luton, through rush hour traffic on the m25 and only had to stop it three times. Other than that, using the stalk to control your speed works well.

I remember it being the singular hardest job I had to do. that random small pin that goes into a connector that is hard to find. you're doing it basically completely blind.

Without my light on a mirror : https://www.google.co.uk/#q=rolson+led+mirror  there is no way I'd have been able to do it.

I had to unscrew a panel and take out a lot of relays, being mindful of where they went. then pulled out the panel that retains them (it slides down)

I spent half a day upside down, swearing putting my arm up the dashboard. there's a metal slider that releases all the plugs but now I can't remember if that was something that I needed to do. the hard thing was to slide it back. when dash is off it all looks so easy. (according to pics I found on other forums, with non english text.)

to be quite honest just run a sep wire from the control box and don't waste your time keeping it all original.

I completed the task of fitting and installing cruise control with 100% success. I decided that removing the dash was not such a difficult task when the steering wheel and lower panel are removed anyway. Putting it back was straight forward. This method ensures the wires are in the right terminals.

Good luck.

I have complted the install. Thanks to help from Gman 1978. I just need to use vag com at work tomorrow.

I wan't able to use connector T11a because it simply didn't exist on my car. The instructions supplied with the kit stated this was the only option to use. See image:

post-114968-0-26861800-1404659323_thumb.jpg

All my car had was the 7 connectors to the right of the connectors shown in the instrcutions. Picture below showing most of the connectors. Red one just visable:

post-114968-0-99876800-1404659569_thumb.jpg

So i used the other set of instructiones (image below) that seem to be supplied with some kits that use the red plug (t11b and pin6 on this plug was vacant.) and put the white wire into it.

post-114968-0-80065000-1404659105_thumb.jpg

Does any one know why I didn't have the plug set up to the left? IE: The one with the T11A.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by ladaloutevans

All, Just to close this off. I have reprogrammed the cruise at Lunch time and been out for a test..Wasn't working. So I cursed then looked at it pragmatically. I ran a fault code check and sure enough 2 codes were present for the cruise system. It had logged the fact the switch buttons had used before the cruise was activated properly. So a quck erase of the codes and back out on test all working 100% satifactory.

If anyone needs help in the future get in touch.

PS: I didnt use Vag Com for this I actually tried the Autel diag machine out of curiosity and this worked.

• 1 year later...

I am planning to get this fitted on my car at some point soon, and wondered if their was anyone in the south east of the UK who might be able to help with this, and who has a VAG com (or similar to be able to enable the cruse control on the car.

• 3 years later...