How to permanently install a Garmin in the dash panel storage compartment

Top write up :thumbup:

Re the tape issue; what about Velcro?

Re the motor; Maplins would be my first port of call, a small motor connected to the ignition's 2nd position

I didn't use Velcro because it looked a bit thicker than the tape I used but who knows, maybe it'd be better.

Attaching the motor could be interesting!

Great post!.....ive hard wired mine in but mine has the traffic aerial lead on 2 suckers onto the windscreen so ive had to use the standard suction mount on the windscreen. I notice yours is facing straight & not angled to the driver,can you see it ok when driving?

I did a similar thing on my last vRS, fitting a 12v socket into the top box wired to a switchable live. A TomTom mounting disk was fitted in the top box as well allowing the figment of a 5in TomTom .

• Like 1

Looks brilliant! I'd quite fancy doing something like this. I would like to make it removable though. Motorising would be cool! Perhaps look at small linear actuators and for control, maybe cutting an old electric window switch and stop gear as I believe they just use a switch to stop them at the limit of their travel. Food for thought maybe?

Also, if you're handy with CAD (isn't everyone?! (I'm a product designer!)), you could design a bespoke mounting or similar and get it rapid prototyped. Yes I am a complete geek.

mikey, the hinge allows the angle to be set so visibility is perfect with no reflections. :o)

jmattley, I'm a linux-loving mechanical engineer ... but I don't think I'm as geeky as you though <g>

nice mod. I did that in my 2010 vrs, pretty much the same other than the hinge - yours looks great in there. you need to get an actuator now that's linked to your switched live so it rises up when you switch on the ignition.

:)

• 3 months later...

Hi Rizmod, very nice job!

As I have the same kind of dash (FL2) and wish to buy exactly that model of Garmin, I think i'll try your mod.

Only a few questions:

I have a LHD car. Do your hints about "left" side of the compartment, etc. apply in the same way or should I expect them to be the other way round?

More importantly: what about an option for having the Garmin removable? Apart from the maps updating issue, glueing it seems a bit too "definitive" for me and I'd like ti use the satnav also on my motorbike and my wife's car occasionally. Also, I'm considering to use a smartphone instead of a satnav, so it must be removable.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Carlo

Edited by duro

"More importantly: what about an option for having the Garmin removable? Apart from the maps updating issue, glueing it seems a bit too "definitive" for me and I'd like ti use the satnav also on my motorbike and my wife's car occasionally.

Any ideas?"

Look into a full Velcro type hinge. Stick a piece of the velcro "hooks" to the underside of the dash lid and again on the navigation unit and get a double sized piece of the velcro "loops" with a fold along its length to act as a hinge...hey presto. Or a similar type concept?

Regards

Edited by Defenderben

Mmm...

I'm starting to think an alternative mount, expecially compatible with a removable smartphone.

As there's a "tray depth" issue and a "portability" issue, why not addressing both by using Rizmod's system to permanently attach a holding bracket, not the device itself?

Opening the tray lid would expose the bracket where the smartphone could be quickly (hopefully) placed.

Ideally, a bracket with power connection should be considered, in order to not fiddling around with the power lead on each come and go.

Some research must be done.

Edited by duro

Mmm...

I'm starting to think an alternative mount, expecially compatible with a removable smartphone.

As there's a "tray depth" issue and a "portability" issue, why not addressing both by using Rizmod's system to permanently attach a holding bracket, not the device itself?

Opening the tray lid would expose the bracket where the smartphone could be quickly (hopefully) placed.

Ideally, a bracket with power connection should be considered, in order to not fiddling around with the power lead on each come and go.

Some research must be done.

I'm thinking of just this idea for my spare smartphone running tomtom. I currently just have the old brodit holder from my last car wedged in the top box.

I remember seeing a dash top 'computer' (probably Win CE based) a few years back when I was researching the options.

It basically replaced the dash top box in an Octavia with a small screen 'pop-up' computer. When closed it looked like a dash top box!

I can't find them at the moment, but I'll keep looking. It was probably a Chinese unit on eBay, but I seem to recall they had models for quite a lot of cars.

• 1 year later...

I would also second these ideas since its not really worth spending so much money on an HU that gives you navigation feature, unless you're really concerned about the looks.  Its also a good idea to install a tablet, which in addition to navigation, gives you other features as well.  Here's a cool thing which someone did: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-off-show-off/138607-samsung-tab-2-7-install-bmw-x1.html

Looks brilliant! I'd quite fancy doing something like this. I would like to make it removable though. Motorising would be cool! Perhaps look at small linear actuators and for control, maybe cutting an old electric window switch and stop gear as I believe they just use a switch to stop them at the limit of their travel. Food for thought maybe?

Also, if you're handy with CAD (isn't everyone?! (I'm a product designer!)), you could design a bespoke mounting or similar and get it rapid prototyped. Yes I am a complete geek.

You could design a bespoke mounting and then get it 3D printed... even geekier....

• 3 weeks later...

Notice the original post was over a year ago. Did anyone come up with a better way of fitting a satnav in the top box that is easily removeable off a mounting?

Also want to route a 12v feed to the glovebox probably using a piggy back fuse from a fusebox. Is it best to take the glove box out and route a wire from the fusebox in the engine bay?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Notice the original post was over a year ago. Did anyone come up with a better way of fitting a satnav in the top box that is easily removeable off a mounting?

Also want to route a 12v feed to the glovebox probably using a piggy back fuse from a fusebox. Is it best to take the glove box out and route a wire from the fusebox in the engine bay?

Any ideas much appreciated.

on my 2010 car i had a garmin in the top box, piggy back wire off the fuse board, small hole drilled in the base of the dash-top-box.  used the std garmin self-adhesive disc on the base of the box, and standard garmin windscreen mount suckered down on to the disc.

i set the garmin to switch on/off automatically with the power (it was on a switched live) so it came on/off with the car ignition like oem nav, plus i found there was a setting to auto change from day/night colours which i guess was based on the clock (and a database of sunset/sunrise times maybe?) so it was as close as oem functionality as poss, but easily removable.

5743548669_10af48a345_z.jpg

5743551509_0e08d26302_z.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great that Rob. Havnt had a Garmin before but about to get one for christmas. What size, model did you use and did that self adhesive disc and holder come with the sat nav?

Also it looks like there are electrical connectors in the base of the holder on that photo. does the mount hard wire in and just slotting the satnav in the holder power it up?

Edited by maverick54