Water collecting in rear doors

I just had this (water in rear doors) fixed yesterday at dealer with no questions asked. Took 15 mins. Doors were almost full, took some time to drain. Car is at 50625 miles, 1½ years old. It has been my only fault so far.

Doesn't sound like they bothered to strip the door card off and sort out the inside of the door (inc checking the electrics, speaker, door lining and waterproof coating on the inside of the door - look forward to some rust and/or dodgy door electrics in the not too distant future.

I ensured that rainworth skoda in mansfield sorted the door leak issues to skoda spec before I paid for the car. all fine so far and we have had a lot of rain lately.

the rapid is not the best car in the world but as I qualified above, £ for £ the rapid is quite inspired for understated quality, functionality, economy and practicality. it is also stylish. all round, quite amazing and the tdi is quick too!

• Like 1

Inspector,

I agree with your simple analysis,

We have a great car that fits certainly most  requirements for a spacious, quality, easy to drive and economical car and £ for £ better than anything i seen a year ago or even today! :clap:  :clap:

• Like 3

HI, I posted earlier about my car and the water in rear door, I have also contacted Skoda UK and they think that the seal mod should be enough. What about all the water that gets into the door surely it can't be good for all the electrics inside. Does everyone consider this satisfactory in a recent Rapid 2014 or any Rapid regardless of age?

I agree, it is not satisfactory that this is still happening in the Rapid, though it's not worth rejecting the car over.

Make sure they do the whole process I outlined in my previous post, not just cutting a piece out of the seal.

Mine's going in next week. Daughter said she could hear water in the door, and yes looks like I've got the same old problem. Got a bucket full out of it by pulling the door seal back. Booked in next week for a so called fix.

• Like 1

Mine's going in next week. Daughter said she could hear water in the door, and yes looks like I've got the same old problem. Got a bucket full out of it by pulling the door seal back. Booked in next week for a so called fix.

I needed more than a bucket ;) I worry long term about the affect this exposure to water will have on the car...I was thinking of investing in the audio of the car but I might have to look at marine speaker!

• Like 3

I needed more than a bucket ;) I worry long term about the affect this exposure to water will have on the car...I was thinking of investing in the audio of the car but I might have to look at marine speaker!

This is exactly the concern I have, and is part of my on-going battle with Skoda UK as nothing has been done to check the insides of the doors, the door electrics and the speakers (both of which on my car have been water damaged).

As a little side note, the awful dealer that sold me the car - has had its franchise pulled by Skoda. That's something at least.

• 2 months later...

well had my 2013 rapid 5 days and my son said dad i can here water when shut back door told him dont be silly , done a check and guess what water lol

done a google check found this page done what said about 2 litres came out ..

• Like 1

well had my 2013 rapid 5 days and my son said dad i can here water when shut back door told him dont be silly , done a check and guess what water lol

done a google check found this page done what said about 2 litres came out ..

If there is a skoda dealer close drop it in to them and they make a few dove shaped cuts to the rubber to allow the water to flow out. Whilst it's in I'd get them to lube all the seals to :)

My local dealers were very helpful!

• Like 1

I can see from the Avatar that zombiebenny's is a 13 plate so that would be pre the new door seals and instead be a case of the dealer or yourself cutting holes in the seals at the appropriate points to aid the water escaping through the bottom of the doors.

I think they changed them May (?) last year so anything manufactured after this date shouldn't have this problem. I've certainly not had any problems with mine (apart from the excessive condensation during the winter)

• Like 1

Mines a 15 plate so should be ok then I've noticed a little dribble of water if I open back door after washing it

I do get condensation on windscreen my citigo did as well

Mines a 15 plate so should be ok then I've noticed a little dribble of water if I open back door after washing it

I do get condensation on windscreen my citigo did as well

We found the condensation issues can be kept under control by putting a decent car dehumidifier bag on the rear parcel shelf.

I use this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ThoMar-Air-Dry-604000-Dehumidifier/dp/B000XUPEJY/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1429264141&sr=1-7&keywords=car+DEHUMIDIFIER

It sorted mine out nicely, as my issues were bad after 9 months of the doors filling up, made the inside of the car quite moist.

• Like 1

I can see from the Avatar that zombiebenny's is a 13 plate so that would be pre the new door seals and instead be a case of the dealer or yourself cutting holes in the seals at the appropriate points to aid the water escaping through the bottom of the doors.

I think they changed them May (?) last year so anything manufactured after this date shouldn't have this problem. I've certainly not had any problems with mine (apart from the excessive condensation during the winter)

called skoda and its booked in they said take about 30mins to do

• 6 months later...

An update... at the first service last week, I asked for this to be done; and in fact, now the seals on the rear doors have nice neat cutouts where the drain holes in the doors are. Like it should have had from new.

A week later; tipping rain; water builds up in one of the front doors.

Identical door seal; identical door holes; no modification done by the dealer. At least it'll only take me half the time to do it myself now there are only two doors to sort.

^^^^ I had more water pour out of my front doors than the rear. It wasn't much though. Now I've poked the drain holes and released the rubber seals (they seemed stuck to the door at the drain holes) I check every time I wash the car there is no water collecting in the fronts or rears now. No mods to the seals done.

Edited by MickA

Having previously owned both a Toledo and a  Rapid which had the water retention problem I checked the door seals as soon as I got my new Toledo in September .I found that there were no cut outs in the seals but that there was a gap between the seals and the drainage holes of perhaps 3mm.Hopefully this is a mod that has been introduced and has cured the problem.So far I have not noticed any sloshing but a storm with a large amount of rainfall is forecast for tomorrow which should be a good test.

Edited by Robbydazzler

• 4 months later...

Just had same problem in our '13 plate Rapid.

Water in rear door.

Pulled the rubber seal slightly, and about 2 to 3 pints of water came out.

So, should a dealer be fixing this for free, or do we just cut holes into the seal ourselves?