Fabia vRS Alloy Sump Protector Group Buy!

Josh_PoloGTi

Well' date='

What can I say about my trip to the metal engineers today :)

They are ultimately professional for a start.

Their equipment is cutting edge (ever seen a laser that can cut through an inch thick piece of metal with stupid degrees of accuracy?!!!?).

They are very, very friendly and accommodating.

When I got there, the workshop manager greeted me and asked "how long are you leaving your car with us for?" :eeek!:

It seems there'd been a small breakdown in communications, so I replied "I hoped to be able to drive it back tonight"...

A look of shock came to his face.

He said "we'll see what we can do" and proceded to produce the keys to a pool car (passat tdi) and told me to enjoy myself around Cambridge (even recommending places to eat etc)...

So, My brother and I spent the day mooching around Cambridge... Lovelly place.

Returned at about 5pm to find that the stainless steel bracketry had been finished and they were busy fitting it to my car.

They had taken all the measurements from my car, and I've left my plastic under tray with them, so that they can ensure the finished metal guard is bang-on the same.

I've come home with the bracketry installed to my vehicle and an assurance that the new sump guard will arrive to my home before the end of this week.

I'll then take it to my local garage to have it fitted.

As this is the prototype (done in amazing time, as they usually need a vehicle for a whole week!!) mine won't look as finished as the ones you guys will get...

I was taken around their factory and was shown some of thier finished and almost finished items and I was gobsmacked, honestly. Real attention to detail!

So, here's the deal:

A Stainless Steel bracket that runs across the front of the car, between the two chassis legs. Very similar to the actual Skoda metal item. Bolts to the standard threaded holes in the chassis legs (one has nothing in it by default and one has the washer bottle neck bolted into it - the bolt from this is removed and then re-installed with the bracket under it). The bracket has very strong welds and stupidly accurate cuts and joins. It also has threaded screw holes for attaching the sump guard to it.

This sorts out the mounting for the front of the guard.

The rear of the guard is mounted, exactly as per the original plastic mount (and as the OE metal guard is mounted), to the sub-frame at the rear of the engine.

This sorts the rear.

The sides of the guard are screwed to the original points on the lower plastic inner wing, but this is mounting the plastic to the guard, instead of mounting the guard to the plastic. All load is on the new front bracket and the subframe at the rear.

The actual guard is made from laser-cut 3mm Alluminium. Proper stuff.

They were really pleased with how it was going, and I really can't wait for the guard to arrive.

I asked about sound deadening. They gave me enough adhesive-backed sound deadening foam to cover my sump guard to try when it arrives so I can try it with and without, but they suggested that there was no need to have any (they weren't asked to put any on the guards they have made for VAG UK for the Tuareg / MK2 Octy 4x4)... They basically said, if people want it, they'll add it as a chargable option. I'll see what I think, but to be honest, even with nothing underneath my engine (as I've had on the way home tonight), I can't tell any difference in sound levels.

The engineer assigned to our job advised that the holes in the guard will be slightly oval, to accomodate any *slight* variations between our vehicles...

Like I said, we're going to make sure mine is bang on, at which point they'll set about manufacturing the rest of them.

Price still looks ok at £150 plus delivery (plus sound deadening, if required).

I'm giddy!!! Can't wait : )

Woot![/quote']

Looking good :thumbup:

Question - is collection likely to be possible from Cambridge? Just thinking I'm around there fairly often and it may save a few quid on postage. No worries if it isn't possible :)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely worth considering :D

That's great stuff Josh, would they be able to fit it (for a price, of course) to save on the postage ?

Sounds like it's going to be a nice bit of kit to have on :thumbup: - money side should be ok as well now, secured loan ought to be coming through :rofl:

Excellent Shifty... The more the merrier (and the more we get on this first production run, the cheaper it will be for everyone - we have to offset the high development cost you see, and the more units made in the first run, the more we can offset this cost).

I would have thought collection would be possible, but I'll have to check.

I don't think they'd be able to fit at that location, as they don't have a lift... Any garage with a lift and some basic tools will be able to fit it in next to no time.

I was told that there will be no problems when it comes to servicing the vehicle either, as it is mounted the same as the original plastic item (apart from a row of screws along the front edge).

I've got a few photos of the front bracket (pre-production model remember!!) which I'll edit and post in a minute.

Come on boys and girs, roll up roll up!!! The more we get on this first run, the cheaper it will be for eveyone!

Am I right in thinking this is the current list?

1. Josh_PoloGTi - Confirmed

2. MissyC - Confirmed

3. Devonutopia - Confirmed

4. WW_VRS - Confirmed

5. Mort - Confirmed

6. Black Magic - Confirmed

7. JUT - Confirmed

8. PJM - Confirmed via PM

9. Fab16v - Confirmed

10. Shifty - Need to email me

Any more??

OK, here are some photos... Not sure if they show that much really, but here they are anyway! The bracket is made from sturdy Stainless Steel and is very secure on its mounting points.

SumpGuard01.jpg

SumpGuard02.jpg

SumpGuard03.jpg

SumpGuard04.jpg

SumpGuard05.jpg

SumpGuard06.jpg

Remember that this is the pre-production bracket, that has been adjusted and chopped down until it fit properly... The ones you lot will get will be laser cut from their plans and will look bang on!

Oh, I forgot to say...

When I came back to pick my car up yesterday, the workshop manager told me that my car had had loads of interest from the employees. Apparently everyone was really positive about it :) ... Nice to know!! Someone said something like "It doesn't rev very high though, does it?", to which he was informed "That because it's a diesel" :)

Just back from Bug Jam... What a weekend!

Anyway, it arrived by courier on Thursday morning and I had it fitted by Kwik Fit in Sheffield (Pen-iston Road).

Fits like a glove... Absolutely amazed by the quality.

Didn't have time to try it without the sound deadening, but WITH it, there is a noticeable improvement over the standard plastic item.

Photos to come tomorrow... I think you'll be impressed!

JOSH! I'm as pi455ed as one can pretty mucy GET! BUT! SPOT ON MATE! THOSE PICS LOOK!

a) as sweet as any mod I've ever done

and

B) as good a value as any mod I've ever done (bar PD130 transplant ;))

Look forward to payment email. :thumbup:

edit: You do NOT know how appreciative I am of Briskodian s TRUE honour and RISK in allowing yheir furbies being the nsubject of torture and one-off mod experimentation!

:thumbup:

AQ big one to Col G in general and to Josh in this ESPECIAL situation! :D ( ;0) )

JOSH! I'm as pi455ed as one can pretty mucy GET! BUT! SPOT ON MATE! THOSE PICS LOOK!

a) as sweet as any mod I've ever done

and

B) as good a value as any mod I've ever done (bar PD130 transplant ;))

Look forward to payment email. :thumbup:

edit: You do NOT know how appreciative I am of Briskodian s TRUE honour and RISK in allowing yheir furbies being the nsubject of torture and one-off mod experimentation!

:thumbup:

AQ big one to Col G in general and to Josh in this ESPECIAL situation! :D ( ;0) )

I am quoting this so we can have some concrete evidence, before he edits it :D

That looks excellent, fits like a glove by the looks of it, lucky gits :thumbup: