Tyre Pressure Sensor - a bit rubbish?

Well I seem to have a slow puncture or valve leak on one wheel, and it has told me about it twice. To be honest, with fast pressure loss, you probably feel it anyway. Running for a prolonged period with an under pressure tyre is actually quite bad, because the sidewall overheats and can result in sudden catastrophic failure at speed. While I agree I'd like to be warned about a proper puncture, it's probably too late to do anything very much.

I had a punscture a month ago and the TPS didn't work. It only showed a warning light when i put the spare wheel on.

Fabolous :@

I don't mind how it works, I don't mind if it's cheap or expensive, I don't mind anything about it EXCEPT I want it to work properly.

If not, it's simply rubbish.

Many of you are missing the point, that if you get a puncture with a rapid deflation, you will know about it before the TPS has chance to detect. The TPS is designed to detect those slow punctures where prolonged use is difficult to detect and invariably more dangerous, so you just have to accept that it does what it does. The reason why you get a message after putting on the spare, is due to the different rolling diameter, it just needs to be reset each time the wheels/tyres are replaced or pressures altered.

• Like 1

In my experience it is not worth having. The only occasions when it has activated a warning the pressures were totally fine. I wouldn't expect it to activate with sudden loss, as other people have found TPS can take a while to notice something obvious such as swapping 18" alloys for 16" steels with winter tyres.

What was it that happened,

Did it puncture your tyre and it deflated quickly,

or went down slow and you kept going and there was no indication from the TPMS until you felt it as a flat tyre.?

george

I'm guessing it was rather quick air escape based on the size of the hole...

lmb,

that was why i asked,

you said 'a cut' in the post #25.

But if it was a hole and a rapid leak and you stopped quickly, i wondered how it could show you any warning unless you were driving on for a distance.

Or am i missing the point?

I find when i Hit a Pothole that i stop and inspect the damage hoping there is none and no air leaking.

I hope the day never comes when i need a warning light to tell me i hit a hole in the road.

*After putting the punctured tyre & jack back in the car and before starting,

i would Press & reset the TPMS and then not expect the Light or Audible warning to tell me i had a different Diameter of tyre on.*

george

One i damaged, but just in a lowly Saxo with no TPMS Warning,

no idea how i knew it had happened without help from the car telling me.

Yeah, with me I hit the mother of all potholes - it nearly shook all my fillings loose. However, the car was driving normally, so - with fingers crossed - I carried on. It was only about 4 miles later that the TMS came on. I hadn't heard a noise - but then again I do have the stereo on quite loud - nor did I feel any lurch to the right. As soon as the light came on, I pulled over to find the tyre completely flat and well beyond the remedy of a foot pump. Luckily the alloy wasn't damaged.

In my experience it is not worth having. The only occasions when it has activated a warning the pressures were totally fine. I wouldn't expect it to activate with sudden loss, as other people have found TPS can take a while to notice something obvious such as swapping 18" alloys for 16" steels with winter tyres.

I had the TPS activate on my old Superb a couple of months ago. The front tyres were getting ready for changing but still had 3mm of good tread right across but I was getting a slow puncture on the off side front right, it turned out to be the inside tyre wall had started to scuff off and small strands of steel reinforcement were starting to become exposed but this was not noticeable unless you removed the wheel. After re-inflating the tyre it would last about 3 days, then the TPS would come on again once the pressure had dropped between 0.5 and 1 bar. I think this is a good example of where TPS really does make a difference.

@sk4gw

I hit a pot hole when I was doing ~30mph between junction 2 and 1b M25 (Dartford crossing was heading North). At first I wasn't sure there was any pressure loss - I only suspected something bad happened. And because it was rush hours I was unable to check anything untill I stopped at toll booth, when I confirmed that the tire was gone :/. Thus the dissapointment.

It can not really tell much until the tyre has become a different diameter and the abs sensor picks that up.

(and that depends on the driver having set the TPMS at some point.)

Fancy systems cost somebody money, and thats always going to be the customer, so the KISS system does not bad IMO.

TPMS must now be a standard fit on all new EU type approved cars, so we will see if systems get better or not,

but anyone getting a 'New Style' of car will have TPMS like it or not,

the fancier the system the more likelihood of another 'Dash Light fault to cause MOT problems once cars are older. JMO obviously.

george

I do understand how TPMS works and that is why I don't understand why it didn't recognise flat tire.

Strangelly enough TPMS recognised properly a spare tire - difference in diameter between 16" and 18" is less then 2%... I'm guessing difference between inflated/deflated 18" is more then 2%, so why it didn't work - I just don't know :devil:...

BTW - I set up TPMS 3 days before the trip to France. And bought yesterday a proper tire inflator as a cheap "250psi" struggels to get anywhere near 35-36psi :rofl:

I tend not to measure spare tyres by the size of the wheel and do not really know anyone else that does,

its the total diameter of the tyre that matters.

(ie 205/40R 17, spare 195/55R 15)

15" spare rim and tyre measures near enough the same as the standard 17" and low profile tyre, not to set off the TPMS if i used that. (i carry a matching spare though.)

http://www.kouki.co....size-calculator

george

I tend not to measure spare tyres by the size of the wheel and do not really know anyone else that does,

its the total diameter of the tyre that matters.

(ie 205/40R 17, spare 195/55R 15)

I don't measure by diameter :sun: - I just simplified things. Superb in the UK comes with only 3 rim sizes: 16, 17, 18 and there is only one size tire for each of them*.

15" spare rim and tyre measures near enough the same as the standard 17" and low profile tyre, not to set off the TPMS if i used that. (i carry a matching spare though.)

http://www.kouki.co....size-calculator

george

You're absolutely missing a point. Superb spare wheel is 205/55R16. "full" size 18" tire is 225/40R18. And this is logical. As long as you use "certified" sizes, diameter virtually stays the same (within 2%, under 1% in the ideal world). *Thus I don't see the point in saying anything else than a bare diameter :giggle:.

Based on your calculator: With this combination your speed will be 0.8% greater then indicated. Do you see my point now? There is virtually no change in diameter, as in one case it is 63.19cm and second is 63.72cm.

Therefore I can't understand how TPMS is able to pick up 16.6mm of rolling radius diference between 16" and 18" when properly inflated but can't pickup flat tyre on distance of couple of miles :wall:

And to be clear - I use winter tires in the size of the spare wheel :devil: .

Edited by lmb

My TPM manage to warn me for pressure modification of 0,2 kgf/sqcm (3psi). It happened during regular maintenance when I ask for "in line" tyre rotation. Skoda mechanics do not bother to correct the tyre pressure when switching front to rear axle from 2,2 to 2,4 (17" rims) and vice versa. Few minutes after leaving the workshop I had a tyre warning so I need to return to solve the issue. I use a digital air pressure gauge that gives me precise indications so I could figure out what was the problem. I corrected pressure to the specified value and memorized the new values. No warning after.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Checking out the NSF wheel of my recently acquired 2016 Black edition Citigo, I found there was no TPMS fitted . How does this effect the behaviour of the pressure warning system.

Where does the TPMS get its information from on my 2016 Citigo, There appears to be no sensors on my wheels just ordinary valves. Does it collect information  from the ABS units? 

14 minutes ago, Beddau said:

Where does the TPMS get its information from on my 2016 Citigo, There appears to be no sensors on my wheels just ordinary valves. Does it collect information  from the ABS units? 

Yes.

• Like 2

Thanks for that I will double check the information I have which is on my V5 doc but will check on the vehicle as well & enter it on my page with photo. Thank you again, this site is very organised

2 hours ago, Beddau said:

Thanks for that I will double check the information I have which is on my V5 doc but will check on the vehicle as well & enter it on my page with photo. Thank you again, this site is very organised

citigo data.jpg