Fuel Filler Hole

JacquiVintage

Hello. I have a Yeti Elegance 4 x 4 and the fuel filler hole is very odd, it's got a kind of plastic gizmo inside it that doesn't quite allow me to get the fuel nozzle in and it causes the pump to trip out before the tank is full. Is this a normal Yeti thing? It's weird, like a bit of plastic or rubber behind the hole. Could be to stop me putting the wrong fuel in but anyway it's got me foxed.

She's new here isn't she? OK, I won't ... not until she's settled in and got to know us all. :angel:

• Like 3

Yes, sir - down boy! I know exactly what she means - I think it's something to do with leaving room for expansion but I believe (Bob close your eyes again) that if you push down on the little pipe-like projection you can get the filler hose further in. I'll stop digging now I'm in this particular hole, so to speak.

She's new here isn't she? OK, I won't ... not until she's settled in and got to know us all. :angel:

Bob, we've seen your earlier comments on another thread "my wife said to me there is NO WAY that is going in there"

"I have that trouble too" yes we know what you are thinking......... :devil:

Hello JacquiVintage. Sorry no-one welcomed you straight away. I hope you've been lurking for a while and will make some allowances for 'high spirits'. The Yeti crew are generally polite and helpful. Most of the time. :hi:

Is your Monster new? or what year?

Yup, sorry, welcome aboard. Can't say I've ever noticed the problem you mention :x

That happened to me too this afternoon. While filling the fuel the pump tripped and the filling station guy put it back again to fill the tank. He got in about the same quantity of petrol that he filled before it tripped first.

The only thing I can say on the topic is that there is something in the fuel filler neck that prevents free flow of fuel into the fuel tank if the central lock is engaged.

I think this is what the good lady is talking about .

post-52230-0-16573600-1370543962_thumb.jpg

And welcome to the forum (mad house) , you will get to know us :rofl:

As for filling you will get use to it and it will wear with use and be easier to fill (over to you Bob :bandit::rofl: )

• Like 3

Hello and welcome to the forum. As Brijo says, basically you will get help and advise if you ask. It pays to read your draft carefully before you post as the usual suspects will pounce

on any possible innuendo, but it is all done in fun and not with malicious intent. A laugh a day keeps the doctor at bay - I am not sure about the men in white coats though...... :sweat:

Yes the filler is a nuisance it was on the my last Yeti and this one also. I have learned to live with it as they are brilliant motors and I do not visit the filling station as often as I did with the Volvo.

• Like 2

Odd indeed. Mine looks different.

:x :x :x :x :D

Bob's going to love that comment,

Could be different on the petrol, assuming the lady's is a oil burning 4x4.

• Like 1

Hello Jaquivintage and welcome, I assume your Yeti must be a diesel variant as it looks like the petrol versions are slightly different. I have had no problems filling my TSI in any way, suppose the pump nozzle is smaller (NO BOB!!) and goes in easier.The chap to answer this for you will probably be Tim the Plumber who has an solution to all Techi questions like this. He will no doubt pick up on this when he logs on

• Like 2

Yup, TP is your man if you want a sensible answer. I'm just a waste of space :sun:

• Like 4

Yup, TP is your man if you want a sensible answer. I'm just a waste of space :sun:

Not really Bob, your fun comments help keep the forum alive, it would be a boring old space if we were all straight laced
  • Like 1

Hello Jaquivintage and welcome, I assume your Yeti must be a diesel variant as it looks like the petrol versions are slightly different. I have had no problems filling my TSI in any way, suppose the pump nozzle is smaller (NO BOB!!) and goes in easier.The chap to answer this for you will probably be Tim the Plumber who has an solution to all Techi questions like this. He will no doubt pick up on this when he logs on

I think TP is working late tonight, so we will have to improvise until then :think:

Well good evening gentlemen and thank you for your spirited responses. I shall stop panicking now that there's something wrong with my Yeti as it is indeed like the image that Wakev posted.

Now ... if anyone can help me with the rattling round me rear end I would be most appreciative :-) and yes I am talking about my car. A Yeti, 4x4 Elegance TDI ... 12months old but only three months with me.

• Like 1

Welcome to the madhouse Jacqui.

I am assuming your yeti is a diesel?

I have the 110 diesel and also find that the pump nozzle is difficult to get in, without it tripping when I use full pressure on the trigger.

I've foundtyatrather than holding the nozzle vertical, try rotating it a bit clockwise. It changes the angle of attack and I find the fuel flows more smoothly.

Now ... if anyone can help me with the rattling round me rear end I would be most appreciative.

I've found that rather than holding the nozzle vertical, try rotating it a bit clockwise. It changes the angle of attack.

... and Bob's your uncle ... :rofl:

• Like 1

...causes the pump to trip out before the tank is full...

Do you almost always go to the same filling station? I ask because I believe that this problem is strongly related to the specific design of the pumps at different garages. The pumps at the place next door to my office are incredibly sensitive and will trip out after just a few litres unless you hold the nozzle in a particular position (as you and CFB have noticed) and feather the trigger a little. I fill up there a lot because it's convenient, as well as being one of the cheapest places in town, but the finicky pumps are a pain. Other places that I go to much less frequently don't seem to have the problem to the same extent.

I also wonder whether it's more of problem with diesel. I used to get the problem occasionally with my previous car, a petrol Subaru, but nowhere near as much as with the Yeti. Interestingly (if you find that sort of thing interesting) with the Scooby you could almost guarantee that it would happen at a BP garage, but practically never at other fuel retailers. Odd.

As I say, it does happen to me more frequently with the Yeti but I do think that it's affected by a combination of the filler design, different pump and nozzle designs, and possibly fuel type. Exactly how these factors combine to inconvenience me is beyond my ability to analyse but it would be nice if fuel retailers would (i) acknowledge that the problem exists, and (ii) do something to reduce this annoyance to their customers (like introducing longer hoses so people can fill up from either side of the pump - something that took Sainsburys years to cotton on to).

EDIT: Some other things that occurred to me: on the diesel vs petrol point, I wonder if diesel fillers have to be more protected because of the mess that diesel makes if it gets spilled (plus the fact that it can turn the floor in to an ice rink)? On the difference between retailers, I wonder if differences in the anti-foaming agents they specify might be a factor?

Edited by ejstubbs