Still Sawtoothing - Help needed.

I've got my sawtoothed tyres no teh front now since. I can't afort to replace them right now (Ins, tax & MOT all this month) so I've got this feckin drone from the front now. Bloody waste since there is easy 6mm of tread on them.

I feel for you as I'm in a similar situation.

I'm also having sawtoothing issues. I've a rear bearing which needs replacing. Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Hull/York area for a full alignment. Also has anyone any advice regarding which make of tyre best avoid sawtoothing. Car is TFSi estate running 18's currently on FK452's.

I'm also having sawtoothing issues. I've a rear bearing which needs replacing. Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Hull/York area for a full alignment. Also has anyone any advice regarding which make of tyre best avoid sawtoothing. Car is TFSi estate running 18's currently on FK452's.

Have a look on Align My Car as a starting point.

I've recently been recommended Michelin Tyres by a reputable aligner based upon the fact that they see far less of this brand with sawtoothing issues than any other (they don't sell tyres, so it's not a sales gimmick).

My Dunlop's (Fast Response) are heading towards the bin when they get even close to the limit and a full set of Michelins will be going on.

Certainly can't be any worse than the current ones, although I notice that there is only one Michelin tyre in my size and that the road noise rating is slightly worse than the Dunlops...

205/60 R15 91V is what's been fitted to my car since I've had it (4 years).

Only query has been about the speed rating as all the online tyre websites show I should have 'H ' rated tyres which seems to be too low to me.

If I put my registration plate into the online websites it comes up with 205/60 R15 or a 17" option.

If you can show me something from VAG / Skoda that says it should be 65, then I'll consider that on my next purchase.

On mobile theme, what spec car & do you know the wheel name fitted, or std steels?

On mobile theme? Confused. Sorry.

If the question is aimed at me, it's on standard Ambiente spec 15" Orion alloys and always has been.

With 205/60 91V tyres.

Hi,

Same sort of issue with me. I have had my car for nearly 6 years, done 96k. When the car was new it would eat dunlops on the rear within a few thousand miles. I have had full geo check to new settings etc but this has never resolved the problem. I agree that directional tyeses do seem to sawtooth quicker than others. I am now using kumho ecsta sports on the rear and they have done about 25k but have recently started to sawtooth. Now they have started they will get worse quickly. I also tried (forgive me) once a set of infinity ditch finders on the rears. These too did around 20k before wearing uneven on the inside.

To sum it up, i can live with the fact that i may have to change an otherwise good set of rear tyres every couple of years (although its terrible that this issue exists). Just stick to non directional patterns and mid range tyres so that its not so horrific when the time comes to swap them over. And definately stay away from all dunlop sport tyres as these won't last 5 minutes.

All cars have one or two faults and so far this and the fact the water goes in the boot when you open the tailgate are the only ones i have with this car.

Google says should be 195/65

https://www.google.c...biw=360&bih=567

Could be because they are Helios alloys (not Orion)! Sorry.

15" Helios alloy wheel for 205/60 R15 or or 195/65 R15 tyres

I'll look at 195/65 tyres as well now, but I need to ensure that they are 'V' rated due to the BKD PD140 engine.

Just adding I too have only ever had 205/60R15 (91V) on my Helios alloys. I noticed the websites changed from V to H recently (in the last year) too. I have 195/65R15 91Hs as my winter set.

• Like 1

For e benefits of all, can someone help to post a close up photo of a sawtooth tyre?

not my pic, but a quick google:

tires2.jpg

The rears on my mk5 gti were just like this> no problems on the octavias as i regularly check the geo.

Just adding I too have only ever had 205/60R15 (91V) on my Helios alloys. I noticed the websites changed from V to H recently (in the last year) too. I have 195/65R15 91Hs as my winter set.

My findings exactly.

I'm working my way through the TUV VAG document about tyres to be sure I have the right combo for the BKD engine & alloys fitted.

Definitely 'V' rated though.

not my pic, but a quick google:

tires2.jpg

The rears on my mk5 gti were just like this> no problems on the octavias as i regularly check the geo.

Thanks ! That helps.

I've always wonder if I'm getting sawtooth problem too. I've very regular ~20deg angle wear on each tyres and thought that's sawtooth. This is really extreme.

Have a look on Align My Car as a starting point.

I've recently been recommended Michelin Tyres by a reputable aligner based upon the fact that they see far less of this brand with sawtoothing issues than any other (they don't sell tyres, so it's not a sales gimmick).

My Dunlop's (Fast Response) are heading towards the bin when they get even close to the limit and a full set of Michelins will be going on.

Certainly can't be any worse than the current ones, although I notice that there is only one Michelin tyre in my size and that the road noise rating is slightly worse than the Dunlops...

I was kinda hoping for a bit more of a personal recommendation of somewhere local but thanks anyway

205/60 R15 91V is what's been fitted to my car since I've had it (4 years).

Only query has been about the speed rating as all the online tyre websites show I should have 'H ' rated tyres which seems to be too low to me.

If I put my registration plate into the online websites it comes up with 205/60 R15 or a 17" option.

If you can show me something from VAG / Skoda that says it should be 65, then I'll consider that on my next purchase.

Well looks like you have 2 options up size the tyre slightly or downsize slightly, using the correct sizes for either won't affect the speedo or ABS but I am surprised at this tyre size having such bad wear.

Always used to be the large, low profile stuff that sawtoothed.

I'm beginning to suspect that maybe the rear springs aren't quite strong enough and that's what's causing the problem.

Maybe...

Thanks ! That helps.

I've always wonder if I'm getting sawtooth problem too. I've very regular ~20deg angle wear on each tyres and thought that's sawtooth. This is really extreme.

It is easier to feel it than to see it. Run your hand lightly around the tyre - one way will feel smooth, the other way you will feel the steps.

I had an issue with excessive wear on the rear tyres....wore at the very edge where the tyre meets the sidewall. Wasnt sawtoothing but wore the inside edge bald whilst the rest had about 5mm still. Camber was slightly out ...now set at -1.5degree. The toe was way out on mine which seemed to cause the issue. Got the alignment done about 15k miles ago and all seems ok since. The toe can have a massive effect on wear as well as the camber as this causes the tyres to be scrubbed badly.

Mine was/is nothing like as bad as that picture but still fookin noisy. Now they're on the front they vibrate and and drone at various speeds. Driving me feckin nuts. I'll be changing them come payday even though I can't afford it.

The wear on mine was much smoother between the 'waves' and was very hard to see or feel. It showed up when you went over a dusty patch of ground to park then the patter would show where the more worn sections wouldn't pick up the dirt.

Previous tyres always wore the inner edges but evenly.

Avoid Maxxis MAV1 on the rear.

Which is a shame coz I'm found them a very good value for money tyre.

Edited by Aspman