Airconditioning service

janesdsg

I'll have had my Yeti two years in a few week's time, bought new. The dealer has just phoned to offer a "special" deal on servicing the airconditioning - £79. They tell me it's not included in normal servicing and is recommended to be done every two years.

Is it necessary to have it done or am I being unfairly cynical in thinking it might be a money-making opportunity for Skoda? And if it needs to be done, is £79 a fair price?

Thanks

Jane

I'll have had my Yeti two years in a few week's time, bought new. The dealer has just phoned to offer a "special" deal on servicing the airconditioning - £79. They tell me it's not included in normal servicing and is recommended to be done every two years.

Is it necessary to have it done or am I being unfairly cynical in thinking it might be a money-making opportunity for Skoda? And if it needs to be done, is £79 a fair price?

Thanks

Jane

Hi,

Had my 2 year service carried out this week and there was no mention of the aircon service, although they did fit a new pollen filter which I suppose was a partial 'service' :)

Mine is 3yrs 3 months old and no cold air is being produced by aircon.No a/c service so far. Dealer said a/con service would probably cure it. Going in for a while-u -wait service on Tuesday. Quoted less than janesdsg but can't remember exact figure. :doh: If it cures the fault I will be delighted.!!

Mine is 3yrs 3 months old and no cold air is being produced by aircon.No a/c service so far. Dealer said a/con service would probably cure it. Going in for a while-u -wait service on Tuesday. Quoted less than janesdsg but can't remember exact figure. :doh: If it cures the fault I will be delighted.!!

Be interested to know what it costs, John, if you have a chance to post again on Tuesday. My dealer is Sinclair (Swansea) not the local one in Haverfordwest.

If you leave you aircon on all the time, then it probably won't need doing until the car is about 5-7 years old. If you have it switched off much of the time, then the gases leak slowly because the seals are not kept lubricated, so a service may be necessary if it doesn't produce much cold air. The price is a bit high if you are getting other work done at the same time.

The owners handbook/manual actually recommends the A/C system is cleaned every year, although dealers tend to go with two years for a service, if they are interested in pushing extras. If you plan to keep the vehicle a while I would say it's worth it and having such work done and recorded could sway a goodwill claim if the system goes faulty out of warranty.

TP

Thanks Zib - What you have described is my use of Aircon on a 3+ yr old car. It is switched off most of the time!!. Seeing £69 in print reminds me that that was the price I was quoted.

Hobin Skoda - now Lookers Manchester have to date treated me well and I am happy to get them to do this job. I have seen signs outside garages advertising aircon service at £49 + vat but I am not losing any sleep paying £10 more to a dealer I have previously used for servicing and warranty work.

Just check that they will re-gas it as part of the job. My local VW garage was offering to clean it for one price, and clean + re-gas for a bit more.

• Like 1

My Yeti was part-ex'd at 2 years 10 months and 54000 miles with Sinclair's - with nary a mention of aircon service at any time.

That said - I have complete faith in them as a Garage in every way. I think that they've been "Dealer of the Year" twice with Skoda, and that certainly backs up my impressions of them.

As others have said, it may well depend upon your individual usage. My aircon button is "on" permanently as I like cooled air on my face.

• Like 1

I leave my air conditioning on all the time, summer and winter. Did a short test to see if turning it off helped the fuel consumption, saw no difference, so I keep it on. Climate control looks after the temperature and winter use clears steamed up windows fast.

• Like 1

I leave my air conditioning on all the time, summer and winter. Did a short test to see if turning it off helped the fuel consumption, saw no difference, so I keep it on. Climate control looks after the temperature and winter use clears steamed up windows fast.

From my own experience turning A/C off seems only to benefit a petrol motor but then not by that much.

TP

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. The aircon is on pretty much all the time. I'll definitely check the price with Sinclairs when the car goes in for its regular service but, in light of the above, I'm leaning towards not having the aircon serviced.

you can get aircon cleaners / deoderiser from halfrauds etc http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_224996_langId_-1_categoryId_165632

£12

and so long as you see some water under the car in hot humid weather from the evaporator , you know the drain is not blocked

only thing you can't check easily is the amount of refrigerant in the system

• Like 2

I think you are right Jane Only getting mine done because it is not functioning properly at moment. Will now use mine almost continuously unless I miss the feel of Northwest damp :rofl:

you can get aircon cleaners / deoderiser from halfrauds etc http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165632

£12

and so long as you see some water under the car in hot humid weather from the evaporator , you know the drain is not blocked

only thing you can't check easily is the amount of refrigerant in the system

That's useful info, many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just having my 2nd variable service at 34k, as a result of this string decided to have the air con serviced, condenser holed, gas recharge failed, fitting a new part tomorrow, as a result, covered by warranty and will be free - whooppeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise service uneventful, pads and discs worn as could be expected after 34k!

Thurs fitting new summer boots, all 4 corners, Dunlop SP01's again, have been well pleased with their performance etc, over my ownership, 2.5 yrs,car originally was a demonstrator!

Most modern A/C systems will affect fuel consumption less that driving with a window open. Especially at speeds over 50mph. All the guff about destroying the planet with A/C causing increased fuel use was on the basis of tests 20+ years ago with mega A/C systems on motors like Rolls Royce or American gas guzzlers.

Most folk seem to suggest A/C is one of those "If it ain't broke don't fix it" things. If the airflow is weak, suspect a partially blocked pollen filter, not the A/C. If it ain't cooling then most A/C qualified independents charge around £50 for a system check and a re-gas. You can get DIY re-gas kits for aroung £30. But I wouldn't suggest those on a car under warranty. A "proper" service involves emptying the system, drying, re-charging and checking for leaks with a leak finder flourocine(sp?) dye. A leak test and fixing anything found will add to the £50. So it depends exactly what you get for your quote if that £79 is "value" or not?

Apart from that, lots of good advice above by other posters.

Following my post of 14 June my aircon was re-gassed but stilll no cold air. Further investigation revealed a new compressor and condenser required. Yeti three months out of warranty.!!

I am taking car in on Monday to have the new parfs fitted and a goodwill warranty offer from Skoda means that I am paying a part only of the labour cost with the actual parts foc.

Skoda UK have dealt with this matter quickly and fairly and are to be commended as are Hobin Skoda (Lookers) who diagnosed and dealt with claim.

• Like 3

Just noticed I am now a newbie with 6 posts and a different name. Still me and am trying regain my Freedom status :)

Edited by John Routledge