1.6tdi as a town car?

Agree with all the above, get the petrol and thats coming from someone who has a Fabia 1.6TDI with DPF ! I will be waiting a little while and getting it remapped and the DPF removed, will go from 75bhp to 130bhp and bags of torque. I do not do short journeys but they are not that long as well so i am still mindful of it all, thats why i am getting the whole thing removed and it remapped, i see this as the best of both worlds, still get the fuel economy and torque (lots of it after the work) but also get rid of the DPF ''issue ''. In your situation though i would just plump for the petrol.

Agree with all the above, get the petrol and thats coming from someone who has a Fabia 1.6TDI with DPF ! I will be waiting a little while and getting it remapped and the DPF removed, will go from 75bhp to 130bhp and bags of torque. I do not do short journeys but they are not that long as well so i am still mindful of it all, thats why i am getting the whole thing removed and it remapped, i see this as the best of both worlds, still get the fuel economy and torque (lots of it after the work) but also get rid of the DPF ''issue ''. In your situation though i would just plump for the petrol.

If you have the DPF removed how do you get round the MOT?

My mates got the 1.6CRTDI in his Octavia, he bought it brand new last August, to date he's done 3200 miles all of which are short journeys, not one regen or any problems

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

I also have the Octavia 1.6 CR TDI, with a DPF, purchased in October 2011 and has covered 23500 miles, not once have I seen the warning light, we do a lot of driving around town, and after some research on the whole DPF regeneration, it turns out not a lot is required to regenerate it.

running the engine above 37mph for 15min's and RPM above 1500

This is pretty easy to achieve in most cases, and if not, when the light does come on just take the car for a long run on the motorway for half hour or so...

I also have the Octavia 1.6 CR TDI, with a DPF, purchased in October 2011 and has covered 23500 miles, not once have I seen the warning light, we do a lot of driving around town, and after some research on the whole DPF regeneration, it turns out not a lot is required to regenerate it.

This is pretty easy to achieve in most cases, and if not, when the light does come on just take the car for a long run on the motorway for half hour or so...

I too cast aside my DPF fears and went for a 1.6 TDi CR with DPF. My worry is winter when my overall mileage and journey length drop. It will be just my luck that the DPF light will come on while I am crawling home from work in the snow and the nearest motorway is 15miles away across a grid-locked city...

Time will tell!!

Does not any diesel and especially a turbo one take quite a while to warm up and get warm air in the depths of winter?

It is why I like to take the HTP rather than the VRSs on the skool run as it warms up so much quicker !

I too cast aside my DPF fears and went for a 1.6 TDi CR with DPF. My worry is winter when my overall mileage and journey length drop. It will be just my luck that the DPF light will come on while I am crawling home from work in the snow and the nearest motorway is 15miles away across a grid-locked city...

Time will tell!!

when the light comes on you have a fair while until it dies completely and has to be seen by a garage....so I still wouldn't worry!

Well that is good news, However, Not everyone who buys a new Diesel with DPF can manage that 37MPH for 15 mins. Lots of old people round about here never get out of the town average 20MPH and use the car for journeys of less than ten min's. a trip. A lot of these people wouldn't have the confidence now to get out and drive on the Motorway also for us the nearest one is an hour away.

Most are unaware of potential problems until they get one. When my older Diesel went from long distance commute to the sort of driving just described it was only a matter of months before the ERG had to be replaced. Similar problems to DPF, I guess if we had had a DPF we would have had the same Issue with that.

Anyway if you can drive as described and recommended then you should be okay IMO not enough general information about driving style and exhaust temperature is given while making the choice. Not everyone is interested enough and just want something they see as more economical. High MPG low Tax is all that they see and that's as far as the research goes.

Edited by 4matt

My dealer wss very clear and explained repeatedly why i should not buy another diesel. I know he's been the same with others.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm certain there are lots of people on here with diesel cars with DPF and love them, so I'm not too keen on criticising their choice. There is no doubt the addition of the DPF has added another item that needs to be carefully managed. In truth all cars these days seem to be blessed with some high tech' additions,weaknesses or recall issues and reading forums only serves to highlight this. However when confronted with a question as posed by the OP it does seem sensible to recommend he does not go down the DPF road if mileages are low. As for 4matt's post regarding us 'old' folk, I'm in my dotage so steady on mate I'm not quite that bad yet! :rofl:

Edited by horkin
  • Like 1

Surely this will effect the cars tax band, MOT testing, warranty etc etc???

Putting bigger alloys on your car can affect the tax band - I used to have an astra that standard was £30 a year to tax, because I specced the upgraded alloys it took the tax to £100.

Warranty will be affected yeah, because they need to remap it when it's done, warranty will be mostly void I'm guessing.

In regards to MOT it's a big grey area - diesels are tested for the amount of smoke they emit. I have three friends who all have DPFs removed which have passed theirs no problem.

?? Who adjusted/increased the Road Tax Band when you specced larger Alloys, The DVLA ?

(the V5 stated the Co2 on the car when built and EU Type Approved, then UK registered,

so the Road Tax Band was set, was this in some way altered?)

Did you fit Larger Alloys and also increase the Total Diameter of the tyres.

Where the alloys not just bigger and the tyres possibly wider and lower profile.

ie Not altering the Final Drive gearing of your car.?

First i have heard of such a thing and i run much larger tyres on Offroaders, even been in for IVA's and SVA's at VOSA test Stations in the past with these,

without any increase in Road Tax on the Vehicle.

Changed 2.5 engines to 4.6 litres, informed the DVLA and no Road Tax increase.

Also 1.1 to above 1.6 & no increase.

(emission being checked & needing to pass on more modern petrol cars can sometimes be an issue, but that is a different subject.)

george

Or a continuation on a thread.

Did the OP not say in #23 that they were getting an Used low mileage Audi.

On Topic.

There are Dealerships in Tayside that for several years had Customers buying cars with DPF's, & EURO 5 Diesels with DPF's sign a sheet to say that the function of the DPF had been explained and they had decided the vehicle was suitable for their uses.

(Renault, Citroen,Fiat, Peugeot, Skoda,Seat.)

Obviously this came about after Private Users complaints,

but mainly after 'Private/Lease purchasers were buying and Leasing and using as Private Hire Cars.

But pretending they were for Personal/Private use only.

george

• Like 1

George,

I'm no expert in the area so just going off what I was told. But yeah basically they said that as the wheels would be wider they would take the co2 1/2 over the bracket meaning it would be £100.

In the end I bought the car with the standard alloys, and bought the others separate, fitted them myself, told my insurance company, and had no issues at all come MOT time. It seemed very silly to me!! but just sharing my experiences.

I think removing the DPF would be the way to go personally!

horkin, My comment about the older folk, was based on conversations with some older drivers I have had in recent months. Yes not all older drivers are lacking confidence on motorway driving but some are.... It wasn't meant as an insult to anyone.

Oh look I'm talking Off topic... SORRY. :kiss:

Getting back to the original topic:

DPF aside, it's still a very bad choice. The engine has quite high a consumption when cold, and it will be cold 90% of the time, as you descibed. Since it's cold, the heater won't really come on either. Heated seats don't help, because, citing my friend: "The combination of my ass ablaze and cold air all around induced in me an urgent desire to poop."

Morale: If you don't want to poop in your car, get a petrol engine :rofl: .

• Like 1

horkin, My comment about the older folk, was based on conversations with some older drivers I have had in recent months. Yes not all older drivers are lacking confidence on motorway driving but some are.... It wasn't meant as an insult to anyone.

Oh look I'm talking Off topic... SORRY. :kiss:

I never thought for a moment you were trying to insult anybody, in fact you are probably right about us old folk in many ways. Our cars are usually very low mileage when traded in and make great buys, as long as the seats aren't too badly stained :rofl: Now there's me 'off topic' but hey, at my age I can be forgiven :giggle:

I thought about it, but only briefly. I figured I wouldn't be doing low enough mileage for it to count.

Yet that is...

Soon, my daily travel will plummet. Will the DPF become a liability? I will have to wait and see, probably taking the car for precautionary outings of a longer nature.

I guess the thing that springs to mind for me reading all the posts so far is this:

If you're only driving 3 miles a day (and yes, some people HAVE to), then you aren't going to get 60mpg out of a diesel. You probably won't get 40mpg out of your 1.2 TSI either, BUT you'll take about a month to get the fuel gauge to drop off of full!!!

I have no idea if the CR with DPF is a "safe bet", because it was designed for it, but I know this:

It normally takes 5 minutes to warm up (light out on dash). In winter, that takes longer.

Unless you're sitting in traffic for that time on an urban commute (3 miles? I'd hope unless it was grid lock to get that done in 10 minutes, or I'd be walking), chances are the diesel won't be warm. Ever.

In my experience, DPF does it's thing or the engine does stuff to ensure DPF regen happens (artificially increases the tickover, makes it warm enough etc).

so it might be down to driving them both, letting the salesman scare you about DPF (if he doesn't ask him) and having a think.

In winter, my 1.2TDI engine would never reach operating if I only did 3 mile trips.

Short, urban journeys are not ideal for a petrol engine car either. This is where electric vehicles are most useful.

Get a milk float! :giggle:

As an owner of a 1.6 CR TDi Scout, I urge you to listen to the advice here :) a TSI Is going to be a much nicer and much more relaible town car. Mine is used mainly on Motorways, where I can keep to DPF friendly RPM, and get 620 ish miles to a tank full.

I am over 25k now iirc from buying in September last year, and have only had a an EGT sensor go pop, but I could see it all heading south if I had to use it around town a lot.

In winter, my 1.2TDI engine would never reach operating if I only did 3 mile trips.

Short, urban journeys are not ideal for a petrol engine car either. This is where electric vehicles are most useful.

Get a milk float! :giggle:

I too considered the milk float but then I bottled out :giggle:
  • Like 1

If you have the DPF removed how do you get round the MOT?

I know people with it done and they have no issues at all, to me its the best of both worlds, cheap tax, cheap insurance, excellent MPG and bags of torque and BHP once the remap is done... win, win ... and win again.