Noise from engine bay after shutdown....

Am used to the normal fan overrun or whirring of the electric coolant pump after shutdown, but today noticed another noise.

Sounded like a pressure relief valve going off and leaking air every few seconds, was coming from the bottom corner of the engine bay on the passenger side, stopped after about 30 seconds.

Most of the things I could think of (coolant pressure relief, purge valve, air-con etc...) are not in that area so was struggling to think what it could be.

Sorry if a stupid question, but anyone know what this is? (assuming it is normal!)

Cheers

Andy

Again, like others above, I have no idea what it is but mine does it too. After a prolonged run or if the ambient temperature is fairly high there is a distinct pumping sound from the front of the engine bay that occurs for a while after shutdown.

Agreed the car does make some strange noises when you turn it off. However I noticed these and all these nosies disappear once you lock it. Appears if you dont lock it or your unlaoding/going back and forth to the car some noises pumps/whirs/whines seem to continue for 3 or 4 mins.

Noticed the car was wheezing away when I got out of it this evening after a moderately spirited drive. Was still going after I locked it, but I didn't hang around too see how long it went for. It's a rhythmic, bellows-like noise, albeit not that loud.

Edited by OzFabia

OP said he knows the sounds of the radiator fan and coolant circulation pump and that the sound he's hearing is different.

It could still however be the coolant pump. Pumps can make "wheezing" sounds due pressure differences, airlocks/cavitation.

Mine does this too and I've wondered what it is...

It is definitely not the aircon as it does it without this being on. Doesn't sound like a coolant pump or fan, it is very rhythmic, evenly timed and a bit odd! Mine has done it most days since having it at the end of my 25ish mile commute.

Is it something that I wrote there? Weird Breathing Sound.

In the first post there is the video of the sound. I' ll post it here too.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=30j71pf&s=6

I have no further update since my last post there.

And what a date. I created that thread at 29 of June 2012.

Edited by stratosg

Had this issue on my DSG Yeti. It is the mechatronic unit housed within the gearbox. Had mine replaced under warranty and all is good now. No difference on how the car drives, maybe fuel economy was up a little, but certainly not normal hence why warranty replacement took place. This unit is what VAG are replacing on the current recall in Australia, but mine was replaced about 6 months ago. Any questions PM me. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, but is it possible to expand a little further on what the problem with the unit is that actually causes the problem and what the problem actually is? Just hearing the pssshing sound at the mo which I hadn't heard before, otherwise car is fine.

Returned my first car due to a DSG problem, hope that my second car hasn't also got a DSG warranty issue.........

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Still confused by this issue, feels like either a number of us have this 'issue' or it is just a standard feature/effect.

@OZYETI - any further info on exactly what the fault is and what causes the wheezing sound??

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Still got this, it is defo not vacuum box and is defo not normal (even though a few of us seem to have it).

MPG is unaffected and no warning lights, so cant be anything too serious. Gonna be phoning up stealer soon to confirm best price for 1st service so might ask them to check if there have been any service bulletins or warranty issues based on my amazingly accurate description of the problem!!

Andy

The service is just an Oil & Filter Change and a 'Health Check', £85 is about as cheap as a Main Dealer gets, £110 is not ridiculously expensive,

more than that and they are having a laugh.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/maintenance

No need to pay that much.

george

;-)   No, no, no! As per the original post, this is NOT the coolant/water electric pump doing its normal thing on engine shutdown. This is a completely different wheezing type noise coming from the front left corner of the car (i.e. almost under the battery area).

(Almost like there is someone in there with a tiny pair of bellows like you would use to get a fire going!!)

@George - cheers for the 1st service info.

Andy