Bird **** doing my head in.!

hi folks got my roof painted about 6 months ago, black magic it was a first class job but every time a bird craps on it and i dont get it off immediately it leaves a slight mark on the paint work which i have to cut down and then polish. apart from standing guard at the car 24/7 is there any product i can use to prevent this hassle. i have used good product on the roof but this does not help, will my paint work ever  harden enough to prevent this or is it just the joys of black magic. :@

Maybe worth asking the painter if he can Lacquer the roof again with a few coats of something more resistant to bird cr4p.

Any idea what type of paint and lacquer it was sprayed with?

george

solvent based paint, its the acid in the poo that does the damage it will damage any type of paint if not removed quickly its just that black or dark paint shows the marks more. :happy:

Thanks for that, but as a spray painter i can assure you it is possible to use a lacquer that is more resistant.

& spray with less colour in the top coats.

You still do need to remove the poo as soon as possible tho, because birds do have different poo from different food.

Forget all the fancy waxes, polishes and sealers maybe and just try some 'MER',

george

Thanks for that, but as a spray painter i can assure you it is possible to use a lacquer that is more resistant.

& spray with less colour in the top coats.

You still do need to remove the poo as soon as possible tho, because birds do have different poo from different food.

Forget all the fancy waxes, polishes and sealers maybe and just try some 'MER',

george

il have a go with Mer.. cheers

It's a bit silly, but have you checked your parking spot for presence of lamp posts or other bird-friendly arrangements? Parking in a different spot (that wasn't situated under a lamp post) 50 metres from my house saved me a lot of headache with bird crap.

It's a bit silly, but have you checked your parking spot for presence of lamp posts or other bird-friendly arrangements? Parking in a different spot (that wasn't situated under a lamp post) 50 metres from my house saved me a lot of headache with bird crap.

cheers man but i have to park in the work car park and at home its on my drive it seems to be this time of year but theres a lot of small swifts around were i live .. :wonder:

May i suggest  you get a professional detailer to apply a ceramic sealant such as G3 Glasscoat or Gyeon, that will be the end of your troubles. Not a polymer based one like Autoglym lifeshine. The ceramic coats were developed by Nasa for the Space shuttles. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Ive got a better solution it will probably offend any twitchers on the forum but its called an air rifle.

Personally i have a BSA lightening with a telescopic sight and would think nothing of blasting a pigeon

thats ****ting on my car. They are vermin and its my property so i'd shoot them. Needless to say i have

no bird poo problems. Unless it happens out and about but thats out of my control as you cant really go

toting a gun around in public.

• Like 1

Protecting your paint with a really good product, sealant or wax is the answer. you need to form a barrier. I use 2 coats of Collinite wax and I top this off with DoDo Juice Red Mist. Then I just keep a bottle of Meguiars Quick Detailer and a cloth in the boot and when a bird bombs it or even a large bug goes kamikase, it's so easy to spray and wipe off.

As has been said, it's leaving the offending stuff on so that the acid eats it's way through to the paint that's the problem.

Edited by horkin

Except shooting any wild bird is illegal. Something to do with conservation of wildlife...not sure about the Private Property bit, otherwise people would shoot pheasants all year around, rather than just in season.

I'm pretty sure that's right, but feel free to check the RSPB site or whatever, just in case your neighbour is a twitcher and a militant!

Except shooting any wild bird is illegal. Something to do with conservation of wildlife...not sure about the Private Property bit, otherwise people would shoot pheasants all year around, rather than just in season.

I'm pretty sure that's right, but feel free to check the RSPB site or whatever, just in case your neighbour is a twitcher and a militant!

Well let me correct you then It is legal on your own property the muzzle velocity of my rifle is not greater than 12flb and legal quarry include crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons. Although personally i wouldn't dream of shooting anything other than pigeons as these are the main purpertrators where i am although some people near the coast may have seagull problems and i must admit i don't know the legality of shooting gulls. I suspect you can't which is as shame as they are anoying. You are putting yourself at risk of harm from all sorts of nasty bugs when cleaning their mess off your car. You could go tooled up in full biohazard suit which would negate the risk but why should you have to. General Licenses are there to protect land owners against such health risk as cleaning animal fecal matter from their belongings. I also think cats should be covered under feral animals and also be culled if they regularly **** on peoples property. But thats just me. :giggle:

• Like 1

Fair enough - dull alert:

I had read about this, as I have found a lot of dead birds locally (decapitated, totally eviscerated, seemingly intact) and wondered if there was a manic predator about - RSPB website wondered if someone was shooting them - not on private land.

Someone else had asked a similar question, as a "friend" of theirs wanted to shoot crows and had heard they could under a general licence as issued to land owners. The RSPB response was that the general licence does allow for culling of legal quarry, if they are posing a threat to livelihood etc (i.e. eating all your crops, knicking hen eggs etc).

Maybe stopping a bird from crapping on your car by killing it, to i) stop the crap or ii) stop the potential for biohazard, would come under those clauses, but some enviro-nutter might argue you could try sonic deterents, scarecrows, water pistols, buy a cat (which opens another pandora's box) etc, before resorting to slaughter. A guy in my office has tried most of these to reduce guano and feline "offerings" to varying levels of success.

I for one think there are quite enough wild birds of a certain type around and am lucky not to have had my Monte squit on yet, so could be tempted, especially if the paint was damaged, but there again, some folks wouldn't know a crow from a buzzard and might get trigger happy, decimating bird populations.

My wife would be in agreement on the pigeon front though - hateful, greedy, dirty creatures!

Magpies! Don't get me started on those tone deaf murderous thugs in tuxedos. 05.30 this morning, 10 of them, a whole mafia clan, strutting their funky stuff and cackling like machine guns on my neighbours roof. Vicious mobsters. (Trust me, I need my beauty sleep)

Edited by P6bJOHN
  • Like 1

Magpies! Don't get me started on those tone deaf murderous thugs in tuxedos. 05.30 this morning, 10 of them, a whole mafia clan, strutting their funky stuff and cackling like machine guns on my neighbours roof. Vicious mobsters. (Trust me, I need my beauty sleep)

Hmm have a soft spot for magpies and must admit I would struggle to pull the trigger and I know that's very fickle considering my hatred of pigeons. What most people don't realise is that magpies will take small birds, eggs, frogs and even fish out of your ponds. Very clever birds not mindless idiots like pigeons. Click, clack bang!!!!

Cats are the real criminals though if you have ever watched one mercilessly torture a small bird to death or worse slow painful death by letting it go after damage to its wings so its got something to chase and bite repeatedly. They have no intention of eating the poor things. How we as a society let such a vicious animals roam peoples gardens decimating wildlife and defecating in children's sandpits only to blind the poor kids through Toxocara virus that's in their poo. We should be able to cull them under the same licence.

• Like 1