Datsun, anyone?

AndyC

So Datsun is the budget brand to Nissan, just like the Dacia is to Renault.

I could say like Skoda are to VW, but they seem to be going a bit upmarket and leaving a gap in the VAG branding for a real budget brand.

Was talking to the guys at work about this, my grandad still has his 1200 pickup. Have had it for longer than I can remember and paints it every few years :) Still runs great, but then he's always looked after it (and was a mechanic).

I guess they'll be very similar under the skin with their business partnership

Eh? I'm sure that Datsun became Nissan after the Datsun brand got a reputation for shoddy cars. To be honest the 120Y was a rust bucket but no better or worse that a comparable Ford. They even kept some of the model names like the Bluebird and Cherry. Same company, new name. Daewoo/Chevy, anyone?

More or less, yes.  Datsun changed their name to Nissan.  Nissan have decided to relaunch the Datsun name as a budget brand in some markets like India.  Incidentally Dacia are already marketed as a Nissan sub brand in some markets where Renault have no presence.

One of the best cars I've ever driven was an old Datsun Bluebird Estate. Last model before they changed name to Nissan. 1982 model, I think it was. The damn thing looked like it came straight out off hell, but no rust remarkably and the engine still ran perfectly after 300k miles. One of my mates bought it for 500 sek (~50 quid) off the shadiest character I've ever met. Some eritrean bloke that didn't speak a word Swedish but had Swedish driving license issued in 1991. WTF? Claimed to be some hotshot politician.

So yes, some crackhead tried to steal it every week, and you had to hot wire it every time you were going somewhere. But in the end we were doing everything but actually sabotaging the car in order to kill it. And the damned thing wouldn't die. One day its getting a complete restoration. What survived that treatment deserves a second chance at life.

• Like 1

I could say like Skoda are to VW, but they seem to be going a bit upmarket and leaving a gap in the VAG branding for a real budget brand.

As Skoda and Seat are moving up in the price lists, it may be time for VW to revive one of the old names that they own:

Auto Union

DKW (Dampf-Kraft-Wagen)

Horch

NSU

Wanderer

I don't think that NSU would be much of a name in this country.

I don't think that NSU would be much of a name in this country.

Nothing wrong with an NSU (Ro80, 1200, 1200TT, Prinz etc). I even went to the international meet at Brands Hatch back in 1988.

If you looked at the Vin plates etc of an Audi some 30 years ago or so it would say NSU Audi. Obviously the NSU part has since been dropped from the name.

As Skoda and Seat are moving up in the price lists, it may be time for VW to revive one of the old names that they own:

DKW (Dampf-Kraft-Wagen)

My iron has a 'turbo steam' function. Hopefully if they reuse that brand they'll have something similar. I'm just worried that the cable won't be long enough for a good range. Also, when I drive one on the continent, would I need a UK to European adaptor :think:

Best car my dad ever owned was a Bluebird, one of the last rear wheel drive models.

It was essentially a Japanese Cortina equivalent, but better built, better equipped and more reliable.  Not sporty or 'fun' to drive but a good solid workhorse.

My late Dad worked at a Datsun/Nissan dealer through most of the 70's/80's & just about everything available at that time came home with him & I had a sneaky test drive or two !

Happy memories of some of the cars mentioned in this thread....thanks guys !

I learnt to drive in a Datsun Sunny.

5686077413_e2f69cab63.jpg

My mum and dad had one of these in lime green, I remember spending the best part of a day in the boot welding up the wheel arches for MOT, only for them the very next day trade it in for a new car  :swear:

• 8 months later...

Loved my Z's would buy another 240 tomorrow if the prices weren't so high nowadays, When I had my first my best friend had a mgb , the difference was night and day , only the rust issue ever bothered me, had several conversations with Spike Anderson the samuri tuning guy, and have sat in both FFA 196l and big sam when they were in Will Galliers place in Shrewsbury, ah nostalgia trip lol.