vrs high oil consumption

I have a 2006 petrol vrs which seems to have much higher oil consumption than normal.

I am currently having to put in 1 litre every 600 to 700 miles. Dealer says it is (just) within tolerance but it is killing me in oil costs. That's a litre every 2 tanks of fuel.

Does anyone have any tips on how it might be improved? To top it off the oil level light no longer appears to function as it was off the bottom of the stick tonight after 650 miles since max and no light came on.

Help/advice appreciated....

I had worried about that but there is no oil in water or vice versa. No leaks that I can see either.

Have had the car for 2 years and seems to be getting worse, but I have only recently started tracking the miles between topups.

My57 vrs petrol did the same was going round an island and oil pressure warning came on, oil level was below minimum and I had to put 2ltrs in, it had eaten 2 ltrs in 4 months and 5000 miles, kept a very close eye on since then. Just done a trip to cornwall and back 520 and a total of 700 miles and its only used a qt ltr... When I posted for advice I was told its comon!! More annoyed that I didn't get a warning for oil level could of caused me some real problems

Mine uses a bit of oil,no where near as much as yours though,im using about a litre in between oil changes (10,000 miles) it seems to use less as the miles have gone up,how many miles has your vrs done?

Mine uses around 3/4 litre per 1000 or so miles, I do alot of short journeys and find it seems to burn more oil.  You will probably find members who drive longer distances to work have better economy with the oil.

As suggested use a cheaper oil.

My Dad has a 60 plate A5 2.0 TFSi 180 sportback with about 30ish k on the clock which is using 1 litre per 1000 milee and Audi wont investigate until its doing a litre every 600 miles, turns 3 in October which is very disconcerting so hes decided to sell it. He does alot or short runs in it and does drivebit gently though which I think is probably half the problem...told him to lend it to me for a few months and ill make it stop! My old Fabia vRS TSi liked a drop of oil but only did a litre every 4.5k miles which I could just about accomodate but a litre every 600 miles is ridiculous and id insist they did something about it.

Edited by pipsyp

Car has done 67k miles. I would hope its not compression at that sort of mileage.

It still seems to have all of its 200 horses left and doesn't create any blue smoke so I am puzzled where it is all going!

You're right, that's low miles for worn rings, but it could still be a ring problem causing blow-by due to a bad loose fit.  Parts such as rings/pistons/bores are supposed to be matched up on assembly to take account of manufacturing tolerances, but it's not always properly done.

Mine is an 07 with 72k on the clock. Mine uses about 1l between annual services. I've had it since new and that consumption has stayed pretty much the same.

It's not driven very hard other than occasional overtaking.

Edited by Aspman

Try 10w40 oil (505 spec) instead of the long life 507 stuff, and get it from TPS at about £23 for 5L, saves a fortune over Halfrauds prices.

Agreed, what's the point of long-life oil if the car drinks it all in a few thousand miles.

Mine has needed an extra 3 litres in the last 10,000 miles.

Try 10w40 oil (505 spec) instead of the long life 507 stuff, and get it from TPS at about £23 for 5L, saves a fortune over Halfrauds prices.

Just been to Halfords - £10 "weekly" offer on 4L of 5W40 VW 502/505 spec oil.

I had same issue with my TFSI, advice from Opie oils was to use a 5W-40 rating (think I used Silkolene Pro race - not sure but it was one of their fully synthetic blends, which made sense as it was remapped also). Almost halved the consumption - thrashing it senseless seemed to help too, rather perversely.

Edited by stever750

• 1 month later...

----------------------------

Sorry, hijacking the thread a bit here.

My vRS has been using quite a bit of oil and as a result I'm a bit concerned by it.

I've recently had it looked at, serviced (also changed to annual servicing so oil changed) and no faults have been picked up, leaks etc. The next stage I've been told, would be to have my turbo checked over for any turbo seal issues. Slightly worrying as I know this kind of work can cost quite a bit of £££!

To give you an idea of how much it's using, I had my oil topped up at my service about 2 weeks ago:

Miles Drive since service: 1100-1200

Oil Used: Max Level down to 1/4 above the Min level, so 3/4 of the guage.

Can anyone give me some advice on what else might be the possible cause, before I fork out for Turbo checks?

No but that is a lot of oil.

Thinking of changing your car?

I know, it's concerning. Quite possible a problem with the Turbo then?

Unfortunately I've only had the car since about February this year and love it, so really don't want to get rid of it