2wd or 4wd that is the question

DaveLees

Qui, moi?  Jamais!!

That's it - I'm probably banned!

And there I was holding you up as a paragon of good behaviour and being sensible – a moderating influence, a slick of oil on the stormy seas of the  Briskoda ocean... :think:

• Like 1

aufff je suis tres hereuse ici avec les bretons qui n'aime pas les francaise aussi  - dates from 1548(?) when the french took all the breton treasures!

there are english ghetto's here as well! - i try to avoid 'em!!!!!

......really......not another Brit ghetto in France. Oh dear. (Sad Face)

Thankfully, we have none where I live. I really could not injure a 'face-to-face' lesson on how to drive a Yeti (towing a Caravan) because it sounds so awfully complicated...... (Eat my own foot before I do mind you)...

How humannity managed to exist without the UK is beyond me.

I feel that we managed to upset the 'Yeti old-school' whose knowledge, experience and driving skills (we have to sadly admitt) are far better than our own. How dare we even raise such a controversial point of view or dare to contradict or challenge a subject that clearly the UK has authority on. They are all probably mulling over their pints and their fish chips in disbelief that other countries and there populations can drive too.....and have a knowledge base that is equal.

......really......not another Brit ghetto in France. Oh dear. (Sad Face)

Thankfully, we have none where I live. I really could not injure a 'face-to-face' lesson on how to drive a Yeti (towing a Caravan) because it sounds so awfully complicated...... (Eat my own foot before I do mind you)...

How humannity managed to exist without the UK is beyond me.

I feel that we managed to upset the 'Yeti old-school' whose knowledge, experience and driving skills (we have to sadly admitt) are far better than our own. How dare we even raise such a controversial point of view or dare to contradict or challenge a subject that clearly the UK has authority on. They are all probably mulling over their pints and their fish chips in disbelief that other countries and there populations can drive too.....and have a knowledge base that is equal.

What are the practical differences when towing a caravan or large trailer in FWD or four-wheel-drive mode?

Actually, I've got Brijo flagged up as another sage, alongside Johann and llanigraham. A beacon of sanity...

OY!"!

I object to the linking of my name to sanity. Def not a term I recognise!!

I'm now going to listen to The Goon Show on R4Ex before planning our jaunt to France in October. And like Marie I too have made further use of the ignore function.

• Like 4

I was at work earning money to keep Snowy in monster bars and petrol.

Sorry, I cant see much of the 'debate' as I have mcamra on ignore.

So he can make all the pops he likes about decals and little islands. For it to bother me I'd have to actually care and frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

Funny how you knew I was knocking your Decals.....Rhett.

Carrying on ignoring !

Personally I blame DaveLees. If he hadn't posted "I am wondering whether I need another 4wd, or, if a 2wd (with winter tyres when appropriate) will do" then Big W wouldn't have had to step in and tell us to play nicely or the toys are all going to be put away. Macdemon pretty much said it all way back in post 2 (ah, such simple times way back then). But why the pop about decals? Does anyone really want Snowy and his mates to turn up on their doorstep? (OK, does any one except possibly Bobdog want Snowy and his mates turning up on their doorstep)?

(Is there a helpline or something to help wean people like me off this forum - I'm now spending way too much time reading post and I really need to get on and earn a living!!!)

????????????

• Like 1

And there I was holding you up as a paragon of good behaviour and being sensible – a moderating influence, a slick of oil on the stormy seas of the  Briskoda ocean... :think:

Mature Senile, possibly, but human  :) .  Thank you for holding me up.

I was at work earning money to keep Snowy in monster bars and petrol.

Sorry, I cant see much of the 'debate' as I have mcamra on ignore.

So he can make all the pops he likes about decals and little islands. For it to bother me I'd have to actually care and frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

We love your posts and he's probably envious as heck about where you live really. And keep up the good work on the decals. ;)  BTW, how many monster bars to the mile are you getting?

OY!"!

I object to the linking of my name to sanity. Def not a term I recognise!!

I'm now going to listen to The Goon Show on R4Ex before planning our jaunt to France in October. And like Marie I too have made further use of the ignore function.

Sorry Guv!

Personally I blame DaveLees. If he hadn't posted "I am wondering whether I need another 4wd, or, if a 2wd (with winter tyres when appropriate) will do" then Big W wouldn't have had to step in and tell us to play nicely or the toys are all going to be put away. Macdemon pretty much said it all way back in post 2 (ah, such simple times way back then). But why the pop about decals? Does anyone really want Snowy and his mates to turn up on their doorstep? (OK, does any one except possibly Bobdog want Snowy and his mates turning up on their doorstep)?

(Is there a helpline or something to help wean people like me off this forum - I'm now spending way too much time reading post and I really need to get on and earn a living!!!)

+1 to that!

Up here about 38 mpg by the looks of it. Just over 900 miles on the clock.

Ooh! You'll be able to red line him then and really break him in! But how many monster bars to the mile?

Just to point out even today some 4x4's operate in 2wd much of the time - our modern jeep wrangler has drive to the rear wheels unless high / low ratios are selected - which we only do when needed - ie offroad or in snow

My last 6 cars have all been driven to all wheels on a permanent basis which I like for on road safety - to go offroad properly you ideally want low ratio and diff locks....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

For me, driving on country roads in the Scottish Highlands throughout winter, a 2WD with winter tyres is all I need. IMHO it's mostly about car control and hazard perception. If you feel the need for a 4WD then you either have a requirement to drive off road or your driving is not up to standard or you are regularly towing. An Advanced Driving course would be a much more valuable investment I think - you'll be amazed at what you'll learn. As a bonus you'll find your tyre, clutch and fuel bills will drop dramatically too. If, however, you are still bothered about driving in winter, then a Panda 4x4 with narrow winter tyres cannot be beaten! Or take the bus. Or stay at home.

Interesting, as I don't tend to drive off road, and I don't tow does this mean if I go for for 4WD that my driving is not up to standard?

Obviously being a class one advanced driver since 1990 (and a member of IAM since 1990) doesn't mean anything!?  Over the years I have had numerous fresher courses re car control, and hazard perception has been essential when attending incidents.       

• Like 2

There's a difference though between 'going for a 4WD' and 'needing' one and that was what irked me earlier.

I have nothing against 4WD, have owned them in the past and may very well in the future.

I'm sure it does have advantages but its not 'necessary' for everyday driving on UK roads. 

• Like 2

There's a difference though between 'going for a 4WD' and 'needing' one and that was what irked me earlier.

I have nothing against 4WD, have owned them in the past and may very well in the future.

I'm sure it does have advantages but its not 'necessary' for everyday driving on UK roads. 

That's a fair point, I should perhaps have said should I go for a 4WD, as opposed to do I need one when I made the original post.

• Like 1

Interesting, as I don't tend to drive off road, and I don't tow does this mean if I go for for 4WD that my driving is not up to standard?

Obviously being a class one advanced driver since 1990 (and a member of IAM since 1990) doesn't mean anything!?  Over the years I have had numerous fresher courses re car control, and hazard perception has been essential when attending incidents.

Exactly,exactly,exactly. Lorry drivers (I past my HGV 1 at the age of 21) have a lot more experience of driving and a lot more skill than their 'car driving' couterparts and they have seen and experienced and had to deal with a lot more poorer and challenging conditions.....on a daily basis. There is a belief that Scotland is for some reason the most challenging place to drive in on Earth. If you dont need it there, you dont need it anywhere. People need to get out more.

Remember of course that a lot of motorway police cars are 4x4 (across the country) and these silly comments being made seems also to imply that the skills of traffic cops are lacking too !

This coment made by MK.....is quite simply nonsense.....

"I'm sure it does have advantages but its not 'necessary' for everyday driving on UK roads"

Clearly she does not understand any points raised in this thread. But then again she only had a Yeti for a week or so......which is bizzare given the amount of advice she has given about the car in the last year.

At the end of the day its a personal decision. Just view it as a safety device....pure and simply.

This coment made by MK.....is quite simply nonsense.....

"I'm sure it does have advantages but its not 'necessary' for everyday driving on UK roads"

Well I agree with it, considering the wording of "everyday driving".

• Like 3