Badge Snobbery

CitigoAllen

Having just ordered my Citigo I am still all excited.  Did a search on Youtube for videos and came across a clip from 5th Gear in which they compare the VW Up, Seat Mii and Citigo.  Despite admitting that they are all basically the same car the presenter who drove the Skoda curled his lip as if he had been asked to eat dog poo, complaining about its drabness and lack of luxury.  I thenn did some research and as far as I can see there is no luxury option available on the UP that can not be got on the Citigo and the interior looks identical except for the steering wheel and the option on high models to have a body coloured dash?? Am I missing something???

I had thought that the price differenc between the Citigo and Up was quite small, but I just went on the VW UK website and used their car builder feature.  To get an Up with similar spec to the Citigo 5 door 75 Greentech Elegance it would be the 75 BlueMotion 5Dr High Up.  The list price for this in Silver is a wopping £12,130 while for my car it is £10,970.  There is only one thing that could be said to be better on the UP.  It comes as standard with 15 inch wheels rather than 14 inch.

If there was next to no price difference, and other aspects such as recovery , servicing etc was equal, I could understand that it would be down to personal preferences for the front end look, but Tiff (I think that is his name) snearing and calling the Skoda bland and less luxurious when it is not is just bad journalism.

Badge snobs are everwhere and I have encountered them even on Briskoda! 

Yes.  I have owned 4 Skoda's in the past (3 Felicia's and an Octavia) and I was always kind of proud that I was smart enough to buy a VAG car without paying the VW premium price.  LOL.

Am I missing something???

Instrument clusters or gauges are different.

I chose Citigo because I think it's better looking than UP!.

I googled Citigo dash board, Mii dashboard and Up dashboard and the instrument clusters, centre console, sat nav thingy, air vents etc all looked indentical.  Only difference was the badge and the sahpe of the UP steering wheel.

Yes.  I have owned 4 Skoda's in the past (3 Felicia's and an Octavia) and I was always kind of proud that I was smart enough to buy a VAG car without paying the VW premium price.  LOL.

Although looking at the difference in price on the vRS 111 not the £4600 difference there was to the Gti when I bought mine in 2006, that is why my R36 at £16,000 is a bargain compared, but someone on here suggested how do I live with myself for buying a Passat, hense my original post regarding badge snobs 

The front of the Up in white reminds me of a negative image of the black and white minstrels!

For younger members this was a TV Variety show in the very non pc 1960's

http://www.colorlines.com/archival_images/blackface.jpg

and

http://www.vcars.co.uk/news/wp-content/uploads/volkswagen-up-01.jpg

• Like 1

The front of the Up in white reminds me of a negative image of the black and white minstrels!

For younger members this was a TV Variety show in the very non pc 1960's

http://www.colorlines.com/archival_images/blackface.jpg

and

http://www.vcars.co.uk/news/wp-content/uploads/volkswagen-up-01.jpg

Don't much like those side mirrors either.....can't be much of a view.

Fully agree. Can't speak for the VW and Seat versions but the Citigo is superb.

John

could have been worse, the premium for putting 4 rings on the front is even high than a beastie boys necklace (if you are old enough to remember)

just audi do not seem to think their customers want such a small eco car so no up/mii/citigo equiv for them, but fabia / Octavia / superb / yeti there is,

I googled Citigo dash board, Mii dashboard and Up dashboard and the instrument clusters, centre console, sat nav thingy, air vents etc all looked indentical.  Only difference was the badge and the sahpe of the UP steering wheel.

In real life you could see the difference. It's not huge, but it's there.

Citigo has Skoda gauges. UP! has VW gauges. Ofcourse.

In real life you could see the difference. It's not huge, but it's there.

Citigo has Skoda gauges. UP! has VW gauges. Ofcourse.

but are those minor differences worth over a grand extra and having to deal with VW sales staff

but are those minor differences worth over a grand extra and having to deal with VW sales staff

It depends who is buying. Some people still cannot fit their head inside the Skoda. And someone may like appearance of UP!.

When it comes to quality differences, how much 5th gear's presenter really knew. :giggle:

Edited by Emil

If there was next to no price difference, and other aspects such as recovery , servicing etc was equal, I could understand that it would be down to personal preferences for the front end look, but Tiff (I think that is his name) snearing and calling the Skoda bland and less luxurious when it is not is just bad journalism.

I Think that Tiff was trying to "down with the kids" or trying to ingratiate himself with the car bores - however he's stuck in a timewarp.

As i say an Audi is a rich mans Skoda and a Skoda is a poor mans Audi. Same quality and as the Citigo/ Mii/Up are all built in the same factory.

To me the badge is not important. Its the look and feel that i get driving a car that matters.

I go on lots of car forums,and no matter which one you go on,they all think their car is the best,they would not have any other car,all other cars are rubbish.

Go on the Fiat forum and no way would they have an UP ugly little box. Go on the UP forum and they laugh at the retro 500 made out of paper etc etc.

Obviously on here everyone will say the Skoda is best,but as has been said the UP/Citigo/Mii are the same cars. For me it would come down to the best dealer giving the best discount,and i am sure Skoda would win,however when VW bring out the UP GT and Skoda do not make a hot one,i am sure we will not mind buying the UP GT if we want the hot model.

Edited by SMART EXAMINER