oh what to do, I cannot make my mind up at all

ColinD

• Administrators

Anyhow I have a big old superb outside, a while ago plan A was sell it for a older car as I don't really need a car to be always available but it's nice to think I could... Wife has a lease car (focus estate). Plan A was I'd use that if I/we had to go anywhere. Also don't do enough milage now for diesel, easily <8k a year now, especially as lease car is unlimited milage. I've always had big vehicles, LT28, citroen BX, Xantia, Primera, Octy Estates, Hatch etc.

So plan A has not kicked in, no surprise there, trying to part with a superb. The Superb is there still after a year. Since then Skoda have of course released the Citigo and Rapid and both are tempting. 

Why?

Well a new cheapish car would reduce running costs, mind you depreciation kicks in too. Versus a 4 or 5 year old skoda with a long list of potential costs. I could really use a predictable cost curve. Or as predictable as a one can be with cars...

Old ones seem to cost just as much, unless very lucky on a sound example.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a old 1.8t, just kicking some ideas around, would not save much on insurance or road fund and fiddly enough to be costly on maintenance.... only need a small car to swap with the wife and get out to the peak for a bit of climbing.

Maybe the odd trip further afield. Quite drawn to the rapids if I'm honest. Problem is then the part x is wiped out and no cash in the bank, and cash in the bank was for corner stone of this. Or I can put 800 on a citigo and pcp 0% it for 4 years... should see a few grand in the bank so I can relax a bit :)

So I don't know, don't like the idea of a 3.5year debt, free or not, but drawn to a predictable cost. The whole end payment stuff scares me a little.

The rapid is growing on me and it's just practical enough to not make me cringe, thinking about a weekend away in it... Problem is, if I went Rapid S spec, I think I'd prefer a citigo, least it's a full on polar shift and maybe even more sellable in a few years. Ticks all the cost minification boxes, just won't fit my bouldering mat in it... roof bars :)

So as per title, no idea, problem is entering a dealership like this I'll end up with a vRS on the drip... dangerous.

Then there is the heretical problem, I be happy with a vw caddy van so I'd be skodaless :o  Just glad the van dub garage didn't want my Superb...

Need to borrow a citigo for a week I reckon, that would settle it. :thumbup:

So I don't know, don't like the idea of a 3.5year debt, free or not, but drawn to a predictable cost. The whole end payment stuff scares me a little.

I had the same dilemma when wanting to replace my 11 year old Fabia. It very definitely needed a new back box and new springs on the rear, and the previous service I had done they advised I would likely need new discs/pads by the time the MOT came around again.

The loan I took out to pay for my Rapid (pre-0% PCP... typical!) was a bit of a worry but since in my previous two cars I've always gotten very close to the official mpg figures I worked on the sums and with the mileage I do the petrol savings alone on the Rapid would accommodate the interest I pay on the loan (providing I pay it over the full term instead of overpaying, which I intend to do).

So I figured that with the likely 'break even' on the savings vs. loan interest, the road tax being nearly £100/year cheaper, and the money I would have had to spend to get another 12 months out of the Fabia, I just decided to go for it. Complete no brainer after looking at everything combined.

Rapid purchase was very definitely a head over heart purchase, it's not a particularly exciting car but I am becoming quite attached to it, I'm finding it to be exactly what I need out of a car and so far I've been getting slightly above the quoted combined mpg figures from it, admittedly by driving....sedately.

I did very seriously look at the Citigo as well, brilliant little car, but just too small in terms of load space for what I typically get up to :( Which is a shame, as I do really like the Citigo sport in particular.

Does the Superb have a DPF? sub 10k mileage would be my worry in that case?

If you go for a replacement new/young car the Citigo sounds to me like it's the more sensible choice given you already have a big car to do what the Rapid could... It's a shame they didn't put something like the 1.2 TSI in the Citigo Sport. I can imagine that would have been quite fun :)

• Administrators

DPF on superb check. Has blocked once, limp mode, BH monday in North Wales and two days before in Wicklow Ireland... limp mode and making a ferry are not compatible.

If I do do any miles it's 30mins B road or 80+ m-way.

1.2 TSI in citigo would actually be brilliant. I could easily forgo the capacity for multiple trips :)

Not sure why but I can't get excited for the fabia, still a soft spot for the roomster, but I think rapid has more long term potential should I decide to unleash the spending demons again.

1.2 TSI in the Citigo definitely would have made me think longer and harder, we can always drive squished up against the Windscreen to fit larger payloads inside right? :)

Maybe Jabbasport could do you a favour when they're done with Richard's Citigo-go-woah :giggle:

I like the Fabia (now, didn't so much when it was launched), had the Monte Carlo Estate been available at the time it definitely would have been on my 'possible' list although I suspect I still would have gone for the Rapid with the deal I managed to get on it as a pre-reg.

In your boat I'd have the roomster.

But I have a van for taking to the Avon gorge and builders merchant.

And a reasonably roomy hatchback for sunday best.

I wouldn't ever go off on a climbing adventure in the Audi mind you.

White alcantara seats and dirty bouldering clothes don't mix well.

And I don't give a toss how dirty the van gets, or where I park it,

and theres easily room in the back to get changed without baring all..

• Administrators

I've had a roomster before, and it as close to a van as it's going to get. Can also actually use it for a camper to :) Forget where I saw it, basically hook a sliding frame onto the b pillar seatbelt lugs and prop on read seat... et volia a flat bed.

Me, I'd get a massive engined barge, prob a Jag.

If you're being practical then a well regarded 'reliable' (relatively) classic.

Or something fairly depreciation proof. Land rover defender, Toyota HiLux 4x4 crewcab.

Ive got a fabia greenline estate, i know you cant seem to like them but mine has done everything.kayaks on roof, dogs in boot, tip runs, motorbike on trailer pulling.garden slab transport.removals.it really is a perfect compromise.

I dont need a diesel either so im now getting the fabia monte estate, will still do all of the above plus be a bit fun in between.

Just personal preference here but i never usually dream of buying the same car/shape twice & i now have.

I had a rapid 1.6 tdi as a courtesy car for a few days, it was nice but i could really feel the size on twisty corners even though it doesnt look much bigger than the fabia.i also hated the rubbish visibility through the back window, it would really get to me over time.

I then got the citigo for another few days, nice little car but you could feel every bump & the dog test proved it as after a trip in it he was shaking like a leaf,it reminded me of my old suzuki ignis sport, fun on the corners but uncomfortable on any decent trips.

My verdict is-get a fabia :)

For under 8k miles per year I'd go for the Citigo.  Cheap to buy, 0% finance and low running costs.

No brainer to me if you are hardly going to use it.  Very predictable running costs and cheap optional 5 year warranty!

Rapid is good, if a bit cheap feeling at first.

But I found you seem to warm to it once you get familiar with it, but sounds like it has space you don't need and decent spec will be 30% or so more than the Citigo.  Good value for money, but needed?

Citigo is more fun to drive out of the two.

Or just pester Skoda for a cheap Yeti. :)

• Administrators

By the way, the whole thing costs just a little more than GBP 2500. Yes, that's four digits.

Yep it adds up, swissbox similar pricing... concept is great! Bonus is I've got to do a website for a steel fabrication company... given he can make competion spec fuel tanks in his sleep, I think I can get the bed sliders for a good price :)

re the citigo rs, I'll have to wait till i'm back in MK, then ask and watch for the poker faces :)

• Like 2