Problems/Faults

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

I was remembering the days of British Leyland cars back in the '70s and '80s.

I had one of their Friday afternoon specials - in the 18 months I owned it (before I got fed up and sold it to another mug) it went through 3 exhausts and 4 batteries and was starting to show signs of rust. I vowed I would never buy another Austin/Morris/BL/Austin-Rover/WHY again :wall:

Hahahaha.... 3 exhausts and 4 batteries!! :wacko:

That must have put you into a padded cell for a while. That is totally crazy. I guess the rust would be from your tears! :crying:

The suspension on a Marina was a work of art though... chap went to design bouncy castles afterwards.:rofl:

6 hours ago, BGB said:

Here is my list after two years and only 11806 miles / 19000km (!!!) of owning a 2016 180TSI Octavia Scout:

Front suspension not centre-adjusted

Front bumber not aligned

Rear bumper not aligned

A fault code no one have figured out 

Haldex 4x4 failure

Rear dampers failure x2

Lower support arm squeeking

Left suspension strut bearing failure

Plastic trim loosing from body

:)

What was the problem with the Haldex?

Complete failure after just 6250 miles - what exactly we dont know.

When they replaced it they said the oil was very black and not in good condition. 

• 3 months later...
On 23/04/2018 at 14:34, BGB said:

Here is my list after two years and only 11806 miles / 19000km (!!!) of owning a 2016 180TSI Octavia Scout:

Front suspension not centre-adjusted

Front bumber not aligned

Rear bumper not aligned

A fault code no one have figured out 

Haldex 4x4 failure

Rear dampers failure x2

Lower support arm squeeking

Left suspension strut bearing failure

Plastic trim loosing from body

:)

Update: Right suspension strut bearing failure @22600km 

*Mr. Beans voice: Skoda makes good cars! Wink-wink!

9 minutes ago, Offski said:

^^^

Did you have them correct the front and rear bumpers before taking the car away from the Dealership when new?

Is that car now out of Manufacturers Warranty or have you extended it?

No i did not notice it right away, was a couple of months old I believe.

In Norway the Skoda dealership (same company as VW and Audi) has 5 years of warranty as default, so its not about the money. Its having a car I cant trust and spending unnecessary time handing the car over to them several times a year.

• Thanks 1

Ongoing issues with rain-sensing wipers for my 64 Scout I purchased from dealership 4 months ago. Its been in 4 times now and the sensor seems to come away from the inside of the windscreen (they tell me). Local dealership says its a screen issue (holder comes as part of screen) and isn't covered by warranty. The screen isn't skoda branded.

(Its the round blob within the lane assist camera pod behind review mirror)

Nice lady from Skoda Customer Care is trying to sort it for me..... get the dealer who supplied the car to agree to pay for it to be fixed. It may need a new screen.

The fault was present when I purchased the car and they said they'd fix it..... but still ongoing. I am hoping Skoda are about to impress me with their customer care and warranties etc. (Not naming names yet as I'm hoping they'll do the decent thing)

Anyone else had problems with the rain sensor not staying stuck to inside of screen?

Yes - but with excess which I don't want to pay. The screen is actually in very good condition - presumably changed by previous owner.

Maybe the holder has been distorted by previous technician changing the module. I don't know what it looks like.

• 3 months later...

Hello there good people of Skoda drivers! 

TL;DR: the instrument panel is being replaced tomorrow due to a fault of random reset of travel data. Afraid of unwanted byproducts of the replacement.

Well, tomorrow's a big day. Hope the handymen at the dealer's don't mess things up too much. What am I on about? Oh, right, about that...

So, a little under 2 months ago, I bought a brand new skoda octavia mk3 facelift, 2018, 1.5 TSI model. Lovely car, it's been a true joy! Anyhow...soon after driving it around for a bit, I struck upon a glitch in the MFD system. There are 4 types of data which each split into 3 subcategories. (I don't know if this is the official terminology, but please bear with me for a moment).

The  4 types of data are as follows:

• average consumption
  • average velocity
  • distance travelled
  • time travelled

The subcategories are as follows:

• since engine start
  • since refueling
  • long-term

Combined it means there are 12 basic data that pop up in your MFD to tell you all abouts of your trip(s).

Now, these subcategories each one of them is supposed to make a 'reset' of every of the 4 types of data at a certain marker, whatever that may be. If my understanding is correct it should go something along the lines as follows:

- since engine start (data resets only after a prolonged period of engine being shut off; about 2hrs or above)

- since refueling (doesn't need extra explanation, right?)

- long-term (it's either 3.000 kms or 99h, whichever comes first).

Here comes the 'fun' part: My octy mk3 resets ALL of the 12 basic data at the same time at a random engine start-up. :( :( 

I filed a reclamation, a sort of, and at the dealer's they couldn't figure it out themselves; they had to ask the manufacturer for help, and the only thing they could come up with was to replace the whole instrument panel from the dashboard. On a car that is under 2 months old. :( I can't help but feel anxious about the outcome - sure, the data may not reset randomly anymore and may start behaving well finally, however, I'm afraid there will be displacements, leaks, more creaking, and whatnots. Unwanted byproducts.  

Is there anyone else out there with a similar experience: had to replace the instrument panel? How was it after the replacement?

Wish me luck! Cheers!

Edited by pssecho
Just some grammar and typos.

• 4 months later...

Hello gentlemen. I just bought my 2.0 tdi 2013 Dsg Octy, 119xxx miles on clock. All my problems are probably related to the high mileage, but here is my list anyway:

- DMF went just after I bought the car, seller paid for all the repairs

- rear wiper washer stopped working 

- had to change all the shocks and springs, without any effect though, it still feels like the car is falling apart when driving here in Essex (UK). Loud noise in the cabin, dunno how to describe it. Car feels really hard, I'm getting all the banging from uneven surface 

- steering wheel vibrates like crazy, even tough I had the wheel balancing and tracking done twice, tyres in good condition 

- license plate light units falling out, literally 

- a lot of rattling and vibrating in the cabin, from passenger side and especially the vents when accelerating 

- car won't move for like 2-3 second after releasing the brake pedal

- squeaky noise when breaking fast (suddenly). It's not the typical brake squeak, it's more like it's related to springs

- car vibrates when in idle, it's coming from the engine bay, probably the engine silentblock (mount)? 

It just feels like the car is... sick, like it's falling apart. I was stupid enough to take out a loan on this car which I can't repay right now so I'm stuck with it. The car is only 6 years old but sometimes it's hard to believe... 

Edited by fAk3svk
Added to list

48 minutes ago, fAk3svk said:

- had to change all the shocks and springs, without any effect though, it still feels like the car is falling apart when driving here in Essex (UK). Loud noise in the cabin, dunno how to describe it. Car feels really hard, I'm getting all the banging from uneven surface 

- steering wheel vibrates like crazy, even tough I had the wheel balancing and tracking done twice, tyres in good condition 

- license plate light units falling out, literally 

- a lot of rattling and vibrating in the cabin, from passenger side and especially the vents when accelerating 

Vibrating steering - My guess is one or more of your (front) tyres are to blame. They could have become unevenly worn, sawtooth is the classic, but poor shocks can lead to tyres becoming out of round, other types of damage can distort tyres. Rarely visible at a glance. None of this is fixable by balancing or tracking.

A puncture repair may be going bad on the inside.

Try swapping front to rear or using a spare to see if it makes a difference. Better to fit new tyres. Passenger side rattling may point to that side tyre.

Banging over uneven surfaces is usually arb drop links worn, cheap and easy to fix. Could also be other suspension bushes shot. An MOT tester can check the suspension out.

Not familiar with Octavia III but probably like later Fabia II models the licence plate lamp holders just clip into the boot. Someone may have been hamfisted when levering them out with a screwdriver and broken something on the lamp holders so they no longer clip back in. New holders may be reqd....

BTW if you bought from a garage or trader you have rights under the consumer rights act , read this

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

Edited by xman

• 1 month later...