Any Remaps Available for the Octavia MK3 VRS 2.0 TDI...?

As Timoclav mentions, cars are generally mapped to balance economy & emissions, but also varying qualities of fuel around the world & inconsistent servicing by customers.  

Most cars actually have a number of maps sitting in the ECU, to take into account different environmental conditions such as low air density whilst driving at altitude, etc. 

SWMBO's new DS3 1.6 e-hdi (now replaced by a Fiat 500 twinair) had a noticable flat spot whilst driving and was purely a characteristic of the map, most probably to keep emissions low at that point in the rev range, for the sake of tax banding & Euro compliance.

Ok, valid points.

In Denmark we have an inspection of the car after 4 years (and then every second year following) where the car has to meet certain criteria. One of these are emission levels, so if I remapped I could potentially look into a notation or even failure and had to re-remap to get the required emission levels which in my mind makes it pointless :)

http://www.chipexpress.com/products/4078/

Worth a look here. I had one on my Octy II VRS CR, improved economy and torque without a doubt. Just had the system upgraded for my MkIII CR 150 which I should have early october. ChipExpress seem fairly on the ball with new releases too, so I would expect one for the new VRS to be out soon.

Worth a look here. I had one on my Octy II VRS CR, improved economy and torque without a doubt. Just had the system upgraded for my MkIII CR 150 which I should have early october. ChipExpress seem fairly on the ball with new releases too, so I would expect one for the new VRS to be out soon.

That looks really interesting...might give it a go when do one for new vRS

As Magic62 said, tuning boxes would appear to be the only way to go for new cars, although they've traditionally played 2nd fiddle to remaps.  I can't comment as to why, I've never had a car with a tuning box fitted.  It sounds like you've had a good experience though and will consider this as an option (maybe the only option for those seeking more power & mpg!)

• Like 1

They will always play second fiddle to real mapping. A tuning box can only alter a few things, as rail pressure and turbo pressure. Real mapping will alter more parameters than only the two altered with a box. 

A little bit more advanced is the Cantronic system MTM offers. As this also takes Input out of the CAN BUS system to alter rail and turbo pressure.

I never wanted a box, was always a fan of real mapping. But in my current Audi it is impossible to do it over the OBD. And as it is still in its waranty I had to opt for the box.

Performance wise it is more than OK, but real mapping (for my Audi still available, but only if they take out the ECU to flash it directly) is still a lot better.

Real mapping will give you even more gain, as the box is a kind of substitute chip tuning.

I might be going for the real mapping (MTM offers this too) if it runs out of warranty. But at the Moment I am satisfied with the box.

It did shave of almost 5.5 seconds from 120-220 km/h in 6th gear (Holding it in tiptronic M).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am torn on this issue, as certainly on paper the vRS could do with some tweaking.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've driven the car for a few thousand miles.  However, the issues with insurance and manufacturer warranties need resolving.  Insuring a car with a remap/tuning box is tricky, and generally you will pay over the odds, whilst the grey area of who's warranty is effected if the engine goes pop is a worry.

Considering this ball-ache, and then factor in how often on a public road you get to use full power, I'm finding it hard to indulge the petrolhead in me screaming for more juice...

Edited by fiisch

I am torn on this issue, as certainly on paper the vRS could do with some tweaking.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've driven the car for a few thousand miles.  However, the issues with insurance and manufacturer warranties need resolving.  Insuring a car with a remap/tuning box is tricky, and generally you will pay over the odds, whilst the grey area of who's warranty is effected if the engine goes pop is a worry.

Considering this ball-ache, and then factor in how often on a public road you get to use full power, I'm finding it hard to indulge the petrolhead in me screaming for more juice...

I know how you feel, I was also considering a remap for my petrol vrs but where I live you have to drive at least 14 miles before even getting to a bypass so that you can benefit from the extra power but all I seem to do is follow miles of traffic maybe with the odd overtake if I am lucky, so even with 200bhp I still cant use the car to it's full potential.

It also does not help when you have average speed cameras in both directions when leaving my home town, bloody annoying :@

Edited by themul

Yep, I've been using a tuning box (chipexpress one) on my MK2 for about 5 years. Loads of power, a bit more wear, very good on fuel though.

I see DTUK have tuning boxes for petrol too, both of these business have 14 day money back guarantee, you don't notice the difference, like it, whatever send it back. Can't argue with that realy

Regards

T

if youre looking to tune your 2.0TDI 184PS then check out this thread.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294284-weve-started-having-tinker-with-the-20tdi-184ps/

Thanks Andrew.  I'll give you a shout through the week, if I get time.  A quick question though, how does the plug in module effect the non-sport maps on the car?  i.e. Economy & Normal mode.  I imagine that the module will apply the same increases in fuelling and boost across the board.

I'm going to give Viezu and JF Automotive a shout too.  They seem to have developed a solution for the VW Golf MK7 GTD (a piggy back module that solders onto the ECU, from what I can gather).  My ideal would be to have a remap to the "sport mode" of the car, and perhaps some refinement to the Eco mode.  This way, I can have the best of both world, increased performance when I need it PLUS a genuine 60+mpg when I'm trundling to the office via the M1/M6.

If you're interested, take a look here.....

http://www.jfautomotive.co.uk/portfolio/volkswagen-vw-tuning/golf-mk7-tuning/

If the cars can be easily amended to give increased power and to return 60+ mpg with no implications then Skoda design and engineering teams must be pretty poor at their jobs as increasing efficiency and performance is their main role.  In the current climate this is particularly so of efficiency. 

Maybe VAG should reduce their massive research and development budget and instead enlist the help of Viezu, JF Automotive and TDi tuning...or maybe there are very good reasons why they don't.   

If the cars can be easily amended to give increased power and to return 60+ mpg with no implications then Skoda design and engineering teams must be pretty poor at their jobs as increasing efficiency and performance is their main role.  In the current climate this is particularly so of efficiency. 

Maybe VAG should reduce their massive research and development budget and instead enlist the help of Viezu, JF Automotive and TDi tuning...or maybe there are very good reasons why they don't.   

The matter of performance tunes and why a manufacturer "keeps a bit held back" are well documented.  It's to do with service schedules, differences in fuel quality across different territories and longevity of components.  If you have your PROFESSIONALLY tuned car serviced regularly and put decent fuel in your tank (all UK fuel is of or above a set specification), then you're very unlikely to experience problems.  I say this from about 12 years experience of driving remapped cars.

Efficiency wise though, the Eco mode on the vRS could be tweaked to offer extra savings by further altering speed limiting, rev limiting and finessing throttle and load control. 

The Octavia III has 3 user selectable maps (as well as maps that are automatically selected by the car under different circumstances) that can be individually rewritten, once the issue of bypassing the ECU encryption has been addressed.  

Having owned many cars that I've gone on to remap (7 before my current non-remapped vRS), I've had mixed experiences and have learned a lot over the years.

Gotta go now, Guy Martin's on the telly box!

• Like 2

Having spoken to a few tuning companies today, it would seem that the ECU encryption on the Octavia is still an issue.  Therefore a good quality tuning box like Andrew @ DTUK's would seem to be the only option.

One company did mention that even the manual gear box can have it's software tweaked to give an extra 15nm of torque, which is something that I've never heard of before.

Having spoken to a few tuning companies today, it would seem that the ECU encryption on the Octavia is still an issue.  Therefore a good quality tuning box like Andrew @ DTUK's would seem to be the only option.

One company did mention that even the manual gear box can have it's software tweaked to give an extra 15nm of torque, which is something that I've never heard of before

Was good to catch up with you last night Damian, and I've just realised our cars looks like twins :)

• 2 months later...

I had a remap on a grande punto diesel to 190bhp. The car and map were great but I used to drive it like an idiot from cold when I was younger, and in a particular drive the head gasket blew and I needed a new engine.

Fiat fixed it all under warranty, and when I had the car back, it was months later, the car was still mapped.

I would remap using a reputable company tomorrow but I wouldn't drive it like I stole it 24/7