VRS Winter Wheel Sizes

Does anyone know what is the minimum size of wheel that can be fitted over the front callipers on the Mk3 VRS?

I know that in the early VRS literature it stated that the VRS would be fitted with either 17", 18" or 19" rims but I have yet to see 17s fitted to any VRS model. Again there have been a few topics discussing various brake disc sizes but I have yet to see confirmation.

I have a set of 205/55/16 winters for the Mk2 VRS but having just looked at the new VRS in the dealership the front callipers look significantly larger than those on the Mk2 - and the current 16s are quite snug to the calliper on the Mk2!!!

New front discs are 17"

Thanks for the quick reply - but I doubt that the front discs are that large (17" is approx 432 mm).  I thought that the new Mk7 GTI front discs were 340 mm (13.4")?  Am I right in assuming that you mean 17" alloys will fit?

I'm just going off what's in the vrs brochure as it says 17" front disc brakes

They are definitely bigger than the mkii discs when i saw one

It's been mentioned in another thread that the octy had got the mk7 gti upgrade discs as opposed to the standard gti discs.

the normal octavia 3 have the same size wheels as golf and yeti.

i am hoping its true for the rs, cos i have a set for my yeti and really dont want to buy new!

As stated in the VRS thread, the car has 340mm front disks and 272mm rear. 16" means 406mm so theoretically the rim would fit, but we can't know for sure until someone measures with the brake caliper included. I'm quite interested in this detail myself.

PS: The VRS comes with 17" as standard in some countries (Romania too) and the 18" are optional.

the normal octavia 3 have the same size wheels as golf and yeti.

i am hoping its true for the rs, cos i have a set for my yeti and really dont want to buy new!

Stud pattern / Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) will remain the same as the Golf/Yeti (i.e. 5 x 112 mm PCD), but as per the thread, I expect that the diameter of the rim will need to be larger than 16" minimum size for the Mk2 VRS to fit over what appears to be a much larger front brake calliper fitted to the Mk3 VRS. 

I have 2 sets of winter wheels / tyres; one set on steels and one set on alloys, but both are 16" rim size so I am expecting to be hit in the pocket - but I'd rather take the hit now whilst the tyres are out of season and there are still some deals to be had on 17" or 18" rims & tyres.

Edited by Black_Sheep

As stated in the VRS thread, the car has 340mm front disks and 272mm rear. 16" means 406mm so theoretically the rim would fit, but we can't know for sure until someone measures with the brake caliper included. I'm quite interested in this detail myself.

PS: The VRS comes with 17" as standard in some countries (Romania too) and the 18" are optional.

Assuming that the brakes are standard across all markets then 17" rims it is then. 

Do you have any idea what size the tyres are?

225/45/17s appear to be the size fitted to other Octavia models with 17" rims. 

Thanks Tudorm for the explanation :)

Being a bit thick here as I don't know much about brakes. What are they measuring when Skoda say they have 17" front discs

Quite interested in a full answer too for mine when it arrives as I always mull over whether to get some cheap winter wheels.

If it is said anywhere that it has 17" brake disks, that would be quite a typo. There's some serious performance cars out there that wouldn't have brake disks that large. With 17" disks we're talking Aventadors and Ferrari F12 territory. The RS has 340mm fronts which is 13.38". They're quite large for what's otherwise a family car.

The easiest would be for one of the early owners to get the measurement tape out. I mean we got people measuring the boot length, I think we can manage brake disks and calipers...  :giggle:

PS: Tire sizes are 225/45/17 and 225/40/18. I don't know about the 19" rims, what tire size they use.

Edited by TudorM

Can u not just use the same wheels all year round? Why in uk do u use winter wheels and summer wheels?

I hope that you are not fishing...  

I live in Germany so I do not really have a choice; on the spot fines for not having correct tyres fitted during wintery conditions... and the fine doubles if you block the carriageway/junction. 

Shock horror. A misleading piece of information in Skoda brochure?!  :giggle:

Assuming the other size quoted is correct, assume 17" is the smallest you can run. You might get away with a 16" with massive caliper clearance, but this won't be a Skoda/VAG wheel.

17s 225/45/17, 18s, 225/40/18 standard tyre fitment. And those are the wheel and tyre sizes I run on the Octy2 winter/summer.

I live in Germany so I do not really have a choice; on the spot fines for not having correct tyres fitted during wintery conditions... and the fine doubles if you block the carriageway/junction. 

As I wish it was here. For the people who say they don't need them or that they can just not go out for 'the 2 days it snows' here, put your money where your mouth is.

We should sticky just that one single post at the top of the Octy3 forum - if only we could count the number of times that info above is going to be re-posted in the years to come....

• Like 1

I was actually just curious , in Ireland there's no such thing as using winter wheels. Same wheels and tires all year round.

Davidsr20 I have a set of winter wheels & tyres & a set of normal wheels & tyres,the winters are 16" audi alloys with winter tyres on as the cost of 18" winters would be daft & id have to swop them over every winter/summer,this way i just swop the wheels over.Thats why we do it,my dad lives in southern ireland & they havent had a bad winter or even one like the uk gets so he has no need for winter tyres,he just uses his car as normal.

• Like 1

can anyone confirm the size of the spare wheel?

The spare on the Mk2 VRS is 205/55/R16 tyre on a steel rim, so I would assume that the spare on the Mk3 VRS is one of the 17" versions listed in my post above - I'm afraid that I will not be able to confirm this until the new car arrives :happy: . 

I recall that someone on the VRS thread mentioned that they had agreed with the dealer that they were just going to swap their spare from Mk2 to the Mk3 - this may not be suitable now. 

Edited by Black_Sheep