Buying vRS petrol or diesel

I have also read that leaflet.  Yet the owners manual supplied with my sister-in-laws Rapid 1.6 CR states '40mph for 20 minutes"!

I have also read this 'I go on a motorway once a week so won't have DPF problems' in many posts.  However, surely the regeneration is triggered when the DPF is a certain % full and not when the car is necessarily being driven in the correct circumstances for a successful regeneration.  I have read a post where an owner was complaining that after 150 miles on a motorway his car attempted a regen when driving in a city centre.

.....also care of being able to secure a Blackline managed to get the equivalent of a 25.5k factory order for 20k which could not be ignored. If Skoda had never released the Blackline id expect a few owners including myself would probably be driving a petrol instead.

Agreed - I also would have bought the petrol variant but the Blackline version plus extras not advertised (maxidot, net system and full size spare wheel) was too much to pass up.

Apologies in my tired stupor this morning (child woke me at 6.30) i mistook the thread for a MK2 one.....still most of what I said is still relevant I think apart from the potential faults....that'll be too early to tell.

the petrol is now about as clean and frugal as the MK2 CR was but in reality i dont see many of them making anywhere near 45mpg religiously like the diesel does....the reduced emissions are a good thing though.

The diesel though changes the game again considerably.....still not going to be as quick or fun but is now a 181hp car capable of over 60 mpg and 119g of CO2, was only back in 2008 I was marvelling how my 103hp 1.9 TDI PD Golf Bluemotion was able to do that....thats progress indeed.....rather a shame about the single exhaust on the TDi though, spoils the vRS illusion for me and as per my much earlier post whilst a TDi undoubtedly makes a better sense buy wi5h the head I wouldnt hesitate to buy a TSi next time...id ditch DSG too not paying 1100 quid to make it less frugal and more expensive to tax again, its good but not that good!

• Like 1

I've had a 45 minute test drive covering 25 plus miles in mixed driving conditions today including a roads and back roads and the TSi returned 32.1 mpg (indicated) for that journey and I was booting it each time I could.

The car had less than 400 miles on it and was a DSG so surely 35mpg would be achievable on a manual once run in, not bad considering the strong performance

I have also read that leaflet. Yet the owners manual supplied with my sister-in-laws Rapid 1.6 CR states '40mph for 20 minutes"!

Think you'll find the manual is out of date. Mine was too. I just drive normally once it's started to do it's thing and wait for the tickover to go back down from 1000 rpm to normal which js the sign it's finished. simples.....

• Like 1

For me the whole question is the balance you want of performance against running costs.

The petrol is quicker.

The diesel will cost less to own.

What is the priority?

With the petrol and diesel being so close in RRP, but the diesel having cheaper VED there is very little in it, you don't have the typical £1,500 cheaper for a petrol argument to work out how long it takes for a diesel to pay for itself.

It costs a little bit more and it will be worth more at resale time.

Low mileage or high mileage, the petrol is going to cost you more.

But it's a quicker car.

If you need that, you're going to have to pay for it.

No doubt the big seller will be the diesel.

• Like 2

Is not the key question as to whether you want VRS styling or true VRS performance?

The Mk 2 TSI VRS was pretty awesome for a £17K car, 0-60 in 7 seconds, 150 mph top end.

CR VRS looks like a fairly quick car but is fairly back there in the pack with ie the rep cars like the BMW 320ds, Audi A4 2 litre TDIs etc.

If you want it to look like a wolf and are not too bother that it goes like a sheep then go for the CR VRS.

If you want the real deal then go for TSI VRS and live with the poor fuel consumption which should be around 40 mpg if you drive predictively. 

Or go the Third Way.  

Go for a 1.4 TSI, ie similar performance to the CR VRS, ie 0-62 in just over 8 seconds. and spec it to a nice car.  Great shame the UK does not get the 1.8 TSI which sounds a great car, especially odd as the UK has the most expensive diesel in Europe and relatively cheaper petrol.

My L&K 1.8 TSI had the tail fin, 7 speed DSG, 45 mpg, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, new 1.8 TSI even better. 

• Like 1

I'm always amused by people who pay £20k+ for a car and then worry about a few MPG either way or stress about their road tax being £50 per year more or less.

Buy what you want and enjoy it! Neither option, whether petrol or diesel, is going to bankrupt you... And if it is, then maybe you should be considering something a bit cheaper in the first place!

• Like 1

I've made my decision - will be going for the diesel! I've tried various different octavias this weekend (diesel & petrol) and I think that although the petrol would be quicker I would be more than happy with the performance of the diesel. I'm looking to order this week :)

Thanks again for everyone's help on this, its been hugely valuable.

• Like 1

congratulations, I'm glad the forum has been able to help you make the right choice (for you) I hope you continue to use the forum -it was very helpful to me when I joined, so I became a freedom member to 'give a little back'.... plus you get a sticker too! If you want to keep the.thread going let us know what options you chose too! All the best and enjoy your vRS when it arrives...

• Like 1

Glad you have chosen, all Skoda's are good and great value.

I would like to try the 1.6D with the 7 speed DSG as I reckon that would be amazing motorway car with super low running costs.

Will stick with the Fabia VRS as good all rounder but if petrol (98 octane) went back over £1.50 per litre ie £7 a gallon might have to rethink.

Hello everyone once again!

I've just ordered my vRS - the guy at Blade Skoda in Gloucester said I'm the first to order a Hatch one at that dealership! Super excited, he said it should come in January.

I've gone for the Diesel Manual Hatch (as indicated in earlier posts) in Race Blue, Red Stitched Interior.

I also selected Front Assist, Cruise Control, Amundsen Nav, Colour Maxi Dot.

Crazy to think the thing doesn't even exist yet. I'm new to brand new cars :p

Ive been very conflicted with my choice petrol vs diesel, still am to a degree.

I was set on a TSi next time.....but then I start thinking.....the TDi can do in excess of 60mpg, if I can get 35 from a TSi suspect ill be doing well......it will cost £35/year to tax, the TSi will be £175.....also despite the fact the TDi costs more it'll be worth more down the line and so will be cheaper to finance. TDi is bound to be a bit cheaper to insure too.

The reality is I could afford to run the TSi but Im not sure I really want to. The TDi as a cheap to run 184ps car will probably get my vote in the end....carp exhaust pipes and all!

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

I was set on a TSi next time.....but then I start thinking.....the TDi can do in excess of 60mpg, if I can get 35 from a TSi suspect ill be doing well......it will cost £35/year to tax, the TSi will be £175.....also despite the fact the TDi costs more it'll be worth more down the line and so will be cheaper to finance. TDi is bound to be a bit cheaper to insure too.

The reality is I could afford to run the TSi but Im not sure I really want to. The TDi as a cheap to run 184ps car will probably get my vote in the end....carp exhaust pipes and all!

I came from a similar situation, a couple of years ago I took delivery of a TSI vRS and loved the car, it was a great car, but the day to day petrol costs were frightening, seemed to go and put some petrol in and it just didnt last, round town was 25mpg and even on a run unless you drove at under 70mph then it would struggle to get high 30's, so overall it was a serious drain on my weekly outgoings, but I ordered it as it was considerably cheaper than the same diesel as the diesel at the time wasnt on the VAT free scheme, however, 9 months later the diesel did go on the VAT scheme, so popped into the dealer and done a deal on a replacemeht brand new car diesel, and dont regret it one bit, my monthly payments were about £15 per month more, but I get that and a load more back in saved fuel, cheaper road tax, slightly cheaper insurance etc its a no brainer!

I wouldnt say its for everyone as some people are die-hard petrol lovers and that is fine, however, if you want the best of both worlds the sporty things that a vRS can offer but happy with the lack of performance compared to the petrol then the diesel is a very good alternative, OK, it might run out of puff occasionally but for me its all about the happy medium and I can live without the half a second or whatever it is on 0-60 times, it makes a good car a really good all rounder.

Am probably ordering my mk3 vRS in Septembr all being well and the diesel is my choice, hands down winner, despite only doing about 7K per year, higher residual so cheaper to finance, save on fuel at the pump, and cheaper road tax!

Although the exhaust pipes does bother me, but for how much I will save over he life of the car with me, I will have to get used to it!

• Like 2

Hello everyone once again!

I've just ordered my vRS - the guy at Blade Skoda in Gloucester said I'm the first to order a Hatch one at that dealership! Super excited, he said it should come in January.

I've gone for the Diesel Manual Hatch (as indicated in earlier posts) in Race Blue, Red Stitched Interior.

I also selected Front Assist, Cruise Control, Amundsen Nav, Colour Maxi Dot.

Crazy to think the thing doesn't even exist yet. I'm new to brand new cars :p

Nice work! :-)

You won't get anywhere near 60mpg in the diesel. My Superb quotes combined at 52mpg and I get about 42 which is 2mpg under the Urban figure. It quotes about 60 for motorway which is never going to happen unless you drive at 55mph in a lorry slipstream. So I'd guess around 40-45 depending on how many hills you have and the types of journey. 

PS that's obviously a MK2, maybe MK3 is even better. I'll let you know next year.

The new engine is much better as far as the stats go. The diesel is a great choice. 

You won't get anywhere near 60mpg in the diesel. My Superb quotes combined at 52mpg and I get about 42 which is 2mpg under the Urban figure. It quotes about 60 for motorway which is never going to happen unless you drive at 55mph in a lorry slipstream. So I'd guess around 40-45 depending on how many hills you have and the types of journey.

v likely true but then I cant see the petrol one getting 45 either.

Even if the diesel is averaging early/mid 50's it'll work out considerably more frugal than the petrol version.

Having recently moved from a Fabia vRS estate to a Blackline DSG estate the loss of real world go is fairly minor IMO, not as quick but then you dont need to drive it half as hard to make good progress. The fuel economy by comparison is poles apart, the Fabia could average high 30's, occasionally low 40's on long runs driven VERY sedately, otherwise low 30's were common. The TSi Octavia I imagine will be v similar, just with a slightly better range care of a bigger tank.

The Fabia averaged about 32mpg over the time i had it and almost always needed refilling around the 300 mile mark; was visiting the forecourt at least once a week, maybe twice if I was doing a few miles. I can do nearly that mileage on half a tank in the Octavia. By comparison think my Octy is averaging 44-45, not far at all from its claimed MPG, being worse for being a less efficient DSG.

Edited by pipsyp

I could not but a diesel VRS as it looks like a sporty car but does not perform like one (ie similar to v.good 1.4 TSI) and that is just a bit dishonest to me.

0-60 in 8 or so seconds is almost the exact average of 2,000 or so car surveyed and I do not want to drive average.

http://www.0-60cartimes.com/0-60-statistics/.

If you are a good driver you should be able to get well over 40 mpg in the new Octavia VRS, get 37 mpg in Mk 2 TSI FL and it needs a good tune up I reckon.

Diesels have their place as motorway mile machines but I would pick just about any of the other diesel models and spec it up.

My issue I know but I like to see a car with performance to match the styling, I would rather have a Q cars,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_(car)  than the other way round ie show and not a lot of go.

I could not but a diesel VRS as it looks like a sporty car but does not perform like one (ie similar to v.good 1.4 TSI) and that is just a bit dishonest to me.

0-60 in 8 or so seconds is almost the exact average of 2,000 or so car surveyed and I do not want to drive average.

That's just nonesense though ,0-60 times mean nothing in the real world. I can't remember the last time I had accelerate flat out from 0-60.

Also it's a crap comparison as diesels don't do well from a stand still which may not be to your liking on a drag strip. They're all about in gear performance which is far more useful in the real world.

• Like 3

If you are a good driver you should be able to get well over 40 mpg in the new Octavia VRS, get 37 mpg in Mk 2 TSI FL and it needs a good tune up I reckon.

Diesels have their place as motorway mile machines but I would pick just about any of the other diesel models and spec it up.

My issue I know but I like to see a car with performance to match the styling, I would rather have a Q cars,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_(car)  than the other way round ie show and not a lot of go.

Mate, you drive a selection of Skodas and a 70bhp ish motorbike. Don't make out that you're something special. You're just as 'average' as the rest of us.

There's nothing wrong with a TDi Octavia vRS, it has plenty of power and I'm not insecure enough to worry about it not being among the fastest n% of cars on the road.

• Like 3

The new VRS has start/stop technology too over the current CR diesel - I would expect that this may prevent some of the soot build up in the DPF.

An interesting point too, buried amongst the debate about fuel types. Whilst all the current flush of stop start featured vehicles (of any make) are less than 3 years old everything's relatively well with the world. Once passed 5-7 years I wonder how many 2nd/3rd or more owners will be tearing their hair out over battery failures whilst battery manufacturers rub their hands with glee!

Apologies for thread diversion.

Might save your DPF's but everything has a cost, be that in £'s, time or sheer frustration...!!