Best vRS MKIII deals so far

surely the lower the deposit, will mean higher monthly payments

Indeed it will, and on a 0% finance PCP it makes very little difference to the total cost as you end up paying exactly the same over the fixed term, whether you have a big deposit or small one.

surely the lower the deposit, will mean higher monthly payments

Of course it will. But at the end of the pcp you will have nothing like enough to put into a new car. My dealer has given me 7K for my car. A few dealers were trying to get me to blow the whole deposit just to make the monthly payment really low. This is NOT the way to buy on a pcp. Three years down the line you are screwed as you only have the difference between the GMFV and the amount owing which will be nothing like 7K, or in my case 5.5K as I am putting 1500 down. This way I will have the difference between GMFV and outstanding  PLUS the 5.5K I have banked earning interest over the pcp period.

I got £11500 PX for my MK vRS and took it all as a cheque, the money is used to offset my mortgage for the next few years. I put precisely nothing in as deposit, why would I on a 0% deal?

Besides, if I decide to hand the car in early, due to whatever unforeseen problem (financial, car is a lemon, or whatever) then I still have my deposit. If you put a deposit down in these circumstances, it's gone forever.

When I look at car purchases leasing etc. I look at how much it is going to cost me per year of ownership, with the PCP deals discussed on this thread you are looking at c. 3.5K to 4K a year if you trade the car in at the end of your PCP term.

I got £11500 PX for my MK vRS and took it all as a cheque, the money is used to offset my mortgage for the next few years. I put precisely nothing in as deposit, why would I on a 0% deal?

Besides, if I decide to hand the car in early, due to whatever unforeseen problem (financial, car is a lemon, or whatever) then I still have my deposit. If you put a deposit down in these circumstances, it's gone forever.

Wise man. Not sure I could have afforded to do that though. It's not hard to google how to make a pcp work. I did it, my payments are higher than they were, but I have the cash in the bank. Not in a money pit that is an automobile. I have always had something like 7-8 K to finance a new car. This way I still have something similar, the end of this pcp. I would be downgrading next time round with most of my equity gone, blowing the whole part ex. It's like jam tomorrow with a pcp, if you do it wrong there 'aint none.

My company paid for mine but here's the deal we got.

Sep 13 vrs diesel estate

Race blue

Manual

No other options

3,600 miles (ex demo)

£19,995 asking

£6,375 allowance for my old car

Total payable £13,620 - full tank of fuel and delivery from Lancashire to Hampshire "free"

On the face of it there were maybe 2 other cars of similar age and all were at least £1-1,500 more asking price so I'm pretty happy with the deal - and more to the point my boss is.

We considered leasing briefly but it would cost more over the 100k or so miles I'm likely to cover over the next 3 years.

If you keep the car past the PCP term and purchase the car at the end, surely it makes no difference how you do it.....unless you can get a decent interest rate on the cash in your bank or you have an offset mortgage or something.

I went in as a cash buyer but was convinced to go PCP by my dealer as it's 0%. As I plan to keep my VRS estate for 10 years, I put down max deposit to minimise the monthly payment so I could pay for it out of my salary leaving the remainder in my account. I will pay the GFV in 40 month time.

The residual cash (70% of the cars value) is sat in my account earning 1.8% that will slowly come out over the next 40 months.

Can't see why is a bad way of doing things if you plan to keep the car long term.

If you keep the car past the PCP term and purchase the car at the end, surely it makes no difference how you do it.....unless you can get a decent interest rate on the cash in your bank or you have an offset mortgage or something.

I went in as a cash buyer but was convinced to go PCP by my dealer as it's 0%. As I plan to keep my VRS estate for 10 years, I put down max deposit to minimise the monthly payment so I could pay for it out of my salary leaving the remainder in my account. I will pay the GFV in 40 month time.

The residual cash (70% of the cars value) is sat in my account earning 1.8% that will slowly come out over the next 40 months.

Can't see why is a bad way of doing things if you plan to keep the car long term.

The most cost effective way to do it if you have the cash sat there is to give minimum deposit, then take the money out of your savings every month. But the best way is the way you feel most comfortable with.  

• Like 2

I would have gone down the 0% route if they were doing it over 5 years. Doing it over 3 made it a definitely no go for me as i'll be a skint student for 3 years from april. I went with a cash buy but got a very good discount. Its horses for courses different things work better for different individual circumstances. Not everyone will have taken the extended warranty but I did because it means I know I will have a reliable car (or a replacement if mine has problems) for the length of my uni course where I will be required to be anywhere in the county on call. Broken down car is no excuse lol.

I have had some more deals through CarWow. 

-£526 off vehicle price (79 miles away)

-£996 off vehicle price (81 miles away)

-£1467 off vehicle price (136 miles away)

Today's been interesting. My best quote not through CarWow was £450 off the price of the vehicle and was at a dealer about 30 miles away. Best through CarWow was £1467 off vehicle price and was 178 miles (not 136 as carwow said). Emailed the better quote to the dealer closer by and they've matched it to within £80 difference. So in the end I got £1388 off and I don't have to travel half way across the country.

Final spec is

Octavia vRS manual TDI hatchback

Candy white

Red stitch trim

Winter pack

Black pack

Spare wheel

Colour maxi dot

Sunset glass

Total inc discount £22,696.85

42 months

12,000 per annum

£10,327 GFV

£3,500 for my PX

£2,000 deposit

Total deposit £6,000

Monthly payment £155

Now I just have to wait 20 weeks.

Djkarlos you say your term is over 42 months, but the pcp 0% offer is 3 years, i'm looking at a very similar spec car to yours and main thing for me is low monthly payment, dep of around 5-6k i have been on Carwow and one dealer has discount of around £800 another £1400 not much distance between them 60 miles. I'm test driving the Dsg version on Thu never driven a Dsg so looking forward to that had a sit in one today but didn't go out in it rush hour stop/start so hoping Thu will get the chance to give car a good going over.

Djkarlos you say your term is over 42 months, but the pcp 0% offer is 3 years, i'm looking at a very similar spec car to yours and main thing for me is low monthly payment, dep of around 5-6k i have been on Carwow and one dealer has discount of around £800 another £1400 not much distance between them 60 miles. I'm test driving the Dsg version on Thu never driven a Dsg so looking forward to that had a sit in one today but didn't go out in it rush hour stop/start so hoping Thu will get the chance to give car a good going over.

0% is 24 to 42 months i believe the 36 months is just the example on the website, i got mine setup as 42 months with 0% pcp and 3 years free servicing.

0% is 24 to 42 months i believe the 36 months is just the example on the website, i got mine setup as 42 months with 0% pcp and 3 years free servicing.

What annual mileage?

Same here. I plan to keep the car for at least 5 years, so I may as well make the most of the 0% offer and put off paying for it as long as possible.

Putting a large deposit down on a pcp is crazy. You lose nearly all your equity. Small deposit ie 2k. Bank the rest of the px cheque and forget about it till it's time to change.

It's not crazy. Some people do it differently.

Some want lower monthly bills. You pay the same on 0% anyway

Edited by kenny
  • Like 1

The accountant in me screams at the logic of making a big deposit when 0% is on offer.  However, you may well get a bigger discount with a larger deposit and of course paying less money each month appeals to some.  I guess there are no right or wrong ways, just ways that are right or wrong for individuals.

I ordered my vrs estate tdi on Dec 1st, the best Deal I got was a 350 discount and the following items free - boot mat, full tank of fuel, black pack and sunset glass.

They have guaranteed a part ex value for my polo Gti for Feb. Gone with the pcp over 42 months putting 2k deposit in my monthly payments are 241 with a GFV of 11637. I did push the salesman as much as I could and left the decision for over a week. Main thing is that I am happy with the car and can afford the payments. Now it's the long wait

I ordered my vrs estate tdi on Dec 1st, the best Deal I got was a 350 discount and the following items free - boot mat, full tank of fuel, black pack and sunset glass.

They have guaranteed a part ex value for my polo Gti for Feb. Gone with the pcp over 42 months putting 2k deposit in my monthly payments are 241 with a GFV of 11637. I did push the salesman as much as I could and left the decision for over a week. Main thing is that I am happy with the car and can afford the payments. Now it's the long wait

Can I ask, I see you are in Devon, was that Murrays in Plymouth by any chance, or did you get one elsewhere?