When you go into a shop and the assistant says hello to you...

RapidRonnie

When you go into a shop and the assistant greets you...  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Do you:

• A) Say hello/good morning back
    • B) Make some kind of noise to at least acknowledge their presence
    • C) Ignore them and avoid eye contact at all costs

I used to refuse to serve them and would ask them to step aside so I could speak to the one behind.

I wish I could do that, I'd get in a lot of trouble with the boss if I did.

Most people acknowledge you and either get off the phone as soon as they can and apologise, or do their best to communicate with you while on the phone which isn't to bad. Do get a few though who barely look at you, let alone even mouth a thank you while they're on the phone. One guy even glared at me and apologised to the person on the other end of the phone for being 'interrupted' by me trying to serve him!

I go to blockbusters with my girlfriend every other week and on the way in you turn right straight away and away from the counter.

9 times out of 10 we here someone say hello but never say it back since our backs are turned to them and every time I turn round no one is looking!

We're not rude it's just kind of awkward.

My girls, yes girls, I run a ladieswear department lol, are hot on the styling etc and would never sell you something unless they actually thought you looked good in it, we would prefer future custome than just the one off

I'd bet you've seen some right eyefuls LOL

The airline industry in which I work is an epitome of rudeness, though generally from the other end. Typically I'm a greeted by a seat number and the conversation goes like this:

Me: Good morning Sir

Customer: 10B!!

Me: F*** you!

Well, at least I'd like to say the latter sometimes!

The airline industry in which I work is an epitome of rudeness, though generally from the other end. Typically I'm a greeted by a seat number and the conversation goes like this:

Typically, I try to get on a plane and the attendant's salutation is "can I see your boarding card (please)?" Great, but most people around here have a significant number of passenger hours on $type, so we already know where our seat is!

If I'm on the phone i find it very rude for a shop assistant to interrupt me, why on earth do i have to interact with the person who I am buying a mars bar off??? My call could be worth 0000's to my company or my bonus!!!!! At all other times i of course return the good morning/afternoon/evening but see nothing wrong at all with being on the phone while at the till

As was mentioned in a previous post, manners cost nothing and if a shop assistant is polite towards me, then I'm polite back. What grips my poo is when I'm happily going about my business and a shop assistant follows me round like a lost puppy. A prime example, my local Halfrauds, walked in and was greeted with a friendly "morning!" from one assistant, I reciprocated, "Allright!" as you do. I went to the section I needed, and was meet by an youth, who could barely speak properly and mumbled something like "can I help you with anything?" to which I reply, " no thanks, I'm good thanks" I moved to 3 different sections of the store with puppy boy following me round going "can I help you mate" every 100 yards. After 10 minutes of this, I got a tad grumpy and delivered my one liner reserved for this occasion...... "Are you a psychologist?" reply, "Errm, no...." "Then you can't fecking help me!!" Did the trick!!

• Like 2

If I'm on the phone i find it very rude for a shop assistant to interrupt me, why on earth do i have to interact with the person who I am buying a mars bar off??? My call could be worth 0000's to my company or my bonus!!!!! At all other times i of course return the good morning/afternoon/evening but see nothing wrong at all with being on the phone while at the till

Common courtesy.

If your call is that important, then complete it before going to the till.

• Like 4

Common courtesy.

If your call is that important, then complete it before going to the till.

Agreed; personally I am far from impressed if you are effectively saying "your business is so unimportant to our company that we don't care who overhears our discussion".

• Like 3

Agreed; personally I am far from impressed if you are effectively saying "your business is so unimportant to our company that we don't care who overhears our discussion".

anything linked to my bonus is way more important than manners, i am paid to take calls 24/7 they are paid to serve its as simple as that for me

{WHOOSH}

anything linked to my bonus is way more important than manners, i am paid to take calls 24/7 they are paid to serve its as simple as that for me

That was my point going clear over Gary's head folks! ;)

• Like 4

I am an ass, I freely admit it!!!!!! I just don't think that being on a phone whilst paying for a mars bar is bad manners at all.

I think you're still missing my point from #63, which is nothing to do with your manners towards shop staff.

I am an ass, I freely admit it!!!!!! I just don't think that being on a phone whilst paying for a mars bar is bad manners at all.

I think paying attention to the person that you are actually interacting with is 'Common Courtesy' but as a bus driver I know that along with common sense it is not actually that common. It is highly annoying when someone boarding the bus see's asking me for a ticket and telling me where they are going as a inconvenient interruption  to their spouting of tripe about the latest mouth breather on Jeremy kyle.

Personally I am polite and will acknowledge anyone who shows me the same courtesy, with passengers I greet every last one of them but a lot either completely ignore the greeting or just see my lips move and put their pass away before I've had chance to see it, those get shouted back, a high percentage have a phone glued to the ear....

Typically, I try to get on a plane and the attendant's salutation is "can I see your boarding card (please)?" Great, but most people around here have a significant number of passenger hours on $type, so we already know where our seat is!

It is a common misconception, that the attendant is only checking for seat numbers, when actually they are checking you have a pass for that particular flight, on that day. It's no use being sat in 10B if you need to be in Hamburg on a flight to Zurich. Gate staff aren't quite as savvy at checking.

It is a common misconception, that the attendant is only checking for seat numbers, when actually they are checking you have a pass for that particular flight, on that day. It's no use being sat in 10B if you need to be in Hamburg on a flight to Zurich. Gate staff aren't quite as savvy at checking.

Yeah I fly a lot and several times easyJet have managed to get Glasgow passengers on an Edinburgh flight by mistake

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I'll always greet anyone that comes in my shop with "hello, can I help?" And a smile, if one of my colleagues says hello first, or if I'm on the phone and I make eye contact with a customer I'll at least smile, and as they leave regardless of who served them we will always say "bye"

I never end a conversation without "is there anything else I can help you with today?" After all discussions either on the phone or face to face.

I got a gent in the other day who literally spent the whole time looking at his feet (after being very rude on the phone to my colleague) and didn't even say goodbye - I still maintained a smile and a pleasant attitude throughout but he blatantly wasn't listening when I was talking to him about important information on his policy renewal.

There's no need for anyone to be rude when being served in a shop - if it's the other way round people are very quick to complain...