When you go into a shop and the assistant says hello to you...

RapidRonnie

When you go into a shop and the assistant greets you...  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Do you:

• A) Say hello/good morning back
    • B) Make some kind of noise to at least acknowledge their presence
    • C) Ignore them and avoid eye contact at all costs

And another thing!! Why do shop assistants all ways ask me "Do you need a hand.................?" NO, I've got 2 of my own!!

I am an ass, I freely admit it!!!!!! I just don't think that being on a phone whilst paying for a mars bar is bad manners at all.

I can see that if you're literally just buying one item like a mars bar, there's no need to strike up a huge conversation, but a 'hello', 'thanks' and 'goodbye' would certainly not hurt and I'm sure the person on the other end of the phone wouldn't mind :)

I always say hello / thank you / goodbye or making an eye contact if I am on phone and I am rejecting the help offer as kindly as I can because I like shopping by my self. I ask for help only if I really need it.

I am not on retail, but I think it is very difficult to communicate with with all kind of people, all the time but I think this is the general rule for every job each one of us serves.

The vote result says it all. I have been in 2  retail trades in the past. In both, if you had a phone in your ear, or were not pleasant , you would of been told where to go. 

BTW. On one I was just the shop worker, but would have been backed by the boss. In the other job, I was the boss.

It is a common misconception, that the attendant is only checking for seat numbers, when actually they are checking you have a pass for that particular flight, on that day. It's no use being sat in 10B if you need to be in Hamburg on a flight to Zurich. Gate staff aren't quite as savvy at checking.

Ok, so what is all the theatre with checking my ticket at flight checkin/baggage drop, and then scanning the boarding card at the gate actually for?

Point (1) should filter out people who've got the wrong day, and point (2) really should identify if you;re trying to board the wrong plane.

point #1 fair enough fro being at the airport on the right day, but as far as point #2 is concerned, if the gate staff have discovered that it's quicker just to rip the stub off everyone's ticket as they pass, and then at the end make sure they have the right number and then scan them all in, then they won't immediately notice if you've handed them a ticket for the flight which leaves 10 minutes later from the gate next door, or even worse at some ariports, using a different door/bus downstairs from the same gate upstairs which 3 different flights use at the same time

Happened to a friend of mine, on QueasyJet flying back from Luton, especially as they don't assign seat numbers and the flight wasn't full - he only realised he was on a Luton-Glasgow flight (instead of Edinburgh) once it had taken off !

Ok, so what is all the theatre with checking my ticket at flight checkin/baggage drop, and then scanning the boarding card at the gate actually for?

Point (1) should filter out people who've got the wrong day, and point (2) really should identify if you;re trying to board the wrong plane.

Because technology is only as reliable as the human that designed it. Aircraft can fly themselves, but you still need the pilot as a safety net.

point #1 fair enough fro being at the airport on the right day, but as far as point #2 is concerned, if the gate staff have discovered that it's quicker just to rip the stub off everyone's ticket as they pass, and then at the end make sure they have the right number and then scan them all in, then they won't immediately notice if you've handed them a ticket for the flight which leaves 10 minutes later from the gate next door, or even worse at some ariports, using a different door/bus downstairs from the same gate upstairs which 3 different flights use at the same time

Happened to a friend of mine, on QueasyJet flying back from Luton, especially as they don't assign seat numbers and the flight wasn't full - he only realised he was on a Luton-Glasgow flight (instead of Edinburgh) once it had taken off !

Perhaps this is just another reason for not flying SleasyJet (or AirOLeary)? I've never seen gate staff not scan (and often read) boarding cards.