VRS Petrol sound

I've got a 06 VRS Petrol, and it slightly sounds like a diesel - is this normal?

It runs fine and doesn't skip a beat, but the engine sound is slightly loud in cockpit?

The only reason I say is I upgraded from a MK1 VRS and that was silent.

Help?

What miles is it on? Doesn't sound great i would be worried. Mine is quiet as anything all you can hear is a gentle ticking of the timing belt or something when mines on tickover. Mines 55 Plate on 70,000 but i do service it every 6 months or so at least an oil and filter change. Sometimes its that quiet i think i have stalled it. I would get it checked out if it sounds lumpy like a diesel.

I've got a 06 VRS Petrol, and it slightly sounds like a diesel - is this normal?

It runs fine and doesn't skip a beat, but the engine sound is slightly loud in cockpit?

The only reason I say is I upgraded from a MK1 VRS and that was silent.

Help?

I recently had the same thoughts thinking mine was too loud and this was because my PCV valve went recently which caused the car to be very loud, but actually I'm told it's perfectly normal with the TFSI engine.

Could be a problem if it's loud when your actually at a stop inside the car, but otherwise shouldn't be an issue.

I recently had the same thoughts thinking mine was too loud and this was because my PCV valve went recently which caused the car to be very loud, but actually I'm told it's perfectly normal with the TFSI engine.

Could be a problem if it's loud when your actually at a stop inside the car, but otherwise shouldn't be an issue.

What and how can I check a PCV valve?

I think my thermostat is playing up as the temp on the motorway always goes to around 70... started to annoy me, could this cause it too?

Have you done a scan for faults with VCDS ?

Does it sound like the exhaust is blowing? or is it more engine knocking.

Engine isn't knocking, it just sounds as though you could probably pass it as a diesel. I don't know if i'm being too paranoid, but from the petrols I have driven they have all been pretty silent.

What and how can I check a PCV valve?

I think my thermostat is playing up as the temp on the motorway always goes to around 70... started to annoy me, could this cause it too?

PCV won't just cause it to be loud mate.

When the PCV valve goes, the car will play up. Mine went and the car would rev to 1.5k revs at idle and come back down again without engaging any of the pedals.

PCV won't just cause it to be loud mate.

When the PCV valve goes, the car will play up. Mine went and the car would rev to 1.5k revs at idle and come back down again without engaging any of the pedals.

Ahh I see

I may just be paranoid as I expect the car to be silent in the cockpit.

It's not deafening loud, it just isn't as silent as i'm use to

Im paranoid too fella also my temp gauge drops to about 70 when i come off power when ive been cruising at motorway speeds maybe dodgy thermostat?

Well I don't mean to unsettle you two and im not saying which is right but when mines upto temp it sits at 90° all day long regardless of road speed type and its quiet as a mouse. My mk1 VRS was the same before that. And in contrast my new blackline diesel which has done less than 8k is way more noisey. It has a bit of a tick when idling but I wouldn't call it loud it just sounds like the timing belt doing revolutions but unless you put your ear next to the bonnet you wouldn't hear it. The diesel one the other hand is quite noise on tick over and when it does a dpf regen it sounds like a jumbo taking off.

• Like 1

I think from reading the history of my car the engine was ticking louder and louder before it went pop......now its very quite.....and the engine ticks over very nicely....but then the engine has only done 10000 miles.....

Scribbler

Excellent idea about the oil change and filter change every six months....is that down to mileage or just being specific in doing it every 6 months....

Well I don't mean to unsettle you two and im not saying which is right but when mines upto temp it sits at 90° all day long regardless of road speed type and its quiet as a mouse. My mk1 VRS was the same before that. And in contrast my new blackline diesel which has done less than 8k is way more noisey. It has a bit of a tick when idling but I wouldn't call it loud it just sounds like the timing belt doing revolutions but unless you put your ear next to the bonnet you wouldn't hear it. The diesel one the other hand is quite noise on tick over and when it does a dpf regen it sounds like a jumbo taking off.

Agreed, i did a long journey in Europe and it was boiling hot......still the temp sat at 90c.

A few years ago (on my old petrol) I had an oil & filter change at a "budget" garage - the sound on tickover was louder after the service, I did another oil and filter change 2 days later (myself) and it sounded great again. I put it down to poor oil.

I think from reading the history of my car the engine was ticking louder and louder before it went pop......now its very quite.....and the engine ticks over very nicely....but then the engine has only done 10000 miles.....

Scribbler

Excellent idea about the oil change and filter change every six months....is that down to mileage or just being specific in doing it every 6 months....

Just because I think oil is cheap compared to an engine rebuild. My car doesn't do many miles and therefor doesn't get a proper work out and condensation builds up under the filler cap. But in truth I just like any old excuse to get the spanners out and service the car im a bit sad I even enjoy cleaning it. :giggle:

• Like 1

A few years ago (on my old petrol) I had an oil & filter change at a "budget" garage - the sound on tickover was louder after the service, I did another oil and filter change 2 days later (myself) and it sounded great again. I put it down to poor oil.

The correct oil is important VW 504 00, VW 507 00 & VW502 00 etc. (depending on model)  However an oil with a lower viscosity can quite an engine down but it doesn't mean its doing it any good. semi synthitics that are a bit thicker can be great for a high miler but I wouldn't put it in mine.

• Like 1

In my quest for an mk2 vrs I've seen and heart a few cars and all bar one were quiet. The one was sounding very diesel-like, i even posted some movies here. Bottom line, it doesn't seem normal to me. My current vrs is very quiet at idle.

I use the proper spec oil and i do change the oil every 6k its only started sounding tick in the last 12k really stumped about what it is.

How much is an engine rebuild? :-/

they all do it appently... :)

Apparently not!

misinformation is rife on this site. If your happy to put up with a noisy engine then that's fine its your choice but to proliferate the rumour that its the correct behaviour and ALL do it is just not true. If mine sounded like a Diesel id get it fixed.

Apparently not!

misinformation is rife on this site. If your happy to put up with a noisy engine then that's fine its your choice but to proliferate the rumour that its the correct behaviour and ALL do it is just not true. If mine sounded like a Diesel id get it fixed.

How can you fix something if there is nothing wrong,its anherent issue throughout the vw audi skoda range,both my mates gold gtis do it too and they arnt worried