I love my Fabia

Not been on here in a LONG time, but I'd just like to say how much I love my fabia.

I've had a look around for a new car, Golf R32, Focus ST, mk2 Fabia etc but is there a better car out there that's as fast, economical, cheap to insure, tax and fun to drive than the mk1 Fabia vRS?

I've had a go in the new Fabia vRS and was quite disappointed, anyone else think the same?

What gives the mk1 Fabia vRS a run for its money when you compare performance and economy?

• Like 3

The mk4 ibiza cupra tdi is a much better car from the factory.

Garrett Pd160 turbo

AP 4 pot brakes

Cupra bushes

Front mount

Hard piping with jubilees not daft clips

Ect ect

I like the fact it's a skoda. If it was the same car with a different badge it wouldnt have the same appeal to me. I have always favoured the under dog

Agreed with most of the above, except

"I've had a look around for a new car, Golf R32, Focus ST, mk2 Fabia etc but is there a better car out there that's as fast"

Fast ? It isn't "fast", well there are loads far faster, but don't see these kind of cars on the roads anywhere near me though, in fact almost never.

...", economical, "

You make a solid point.....

..."cheap to insure,"

You are hammering a good point home now for sure

"tax"

The nail is pretty firmly in now

"and fun to drive"

okay I give in !!! Yes my vRS it a practical fun pretty spritely car and would be difficult to replace.

I suspect a lot malign and mock it but then they are the kind of people that get ****ed off by cars like mine all the time, no wonder they are so bitter lol

• Like 1

For the money they are great, thats for sure.

Loved mine when I had it, but at my age everythings cheap to insure,

Especially now I live away from London,

I do about 3-5000 miles a year if that in my car so MPG doesn't matter?

Tax for mine is 250quid a year, same as my 2.0 Bora with less that half

the HP of my S3 so in my mind good value, in any case the Fiat is only 30quid a year 

tax so across the pair of the cars it's reasonable at 280 a year to tax both.

I'm not trying to compare the Fab vRS with the S3. There is no real comparison tbh.

When I was deciding what to buy next after the Fabia, I had a very respectable 18k to

chuck at a car, it was enough to buy some brand new cars, it was enough to buy some

very nice and high performance cars on the used market. I very nearly did the deal on

a BoxsterS but baulked at the last minute at the whole 2 seater thing. Although I kinda wish

I'd bought a Cayman now if I'm 100% honest. I was looking at those too but decided

against having a Porker as I didn't want one on the drive as I have no garage.  

Just too flash and asking for a break in for the keys, the Audi is somehow more low key

than that which is what was appealed in the end.  Also looked at 370Z, R32, 135i, etc etc

But what I will say that in the next league up of 'hot' hatches the S3 represents a very

comprehensive package which ticks all the same boxes, fast-yes, quick-yes, luxury-yes 

well equipped-yes, sleeper-yes, tuneable-yes, seats 4-yes, can be worked on by my indy- yes

can use the power in the UK climate-yes. In the end it was the best overall package bearing in

mind my requirements.

Just the same as the fabia was when I bought that, absolutely ideal for my requirements  

at the time.  

"Fun to drive" - standard suspension feels like it's falling over when leaned on lightly.

"Economical" - 1.6 16V TDis - probably of the French variety are certainly better on fuel.

"Performance" - It's a grunty beast no doubt. That requires grunty underpinnings to avoid falling apart. That means weight, which blunts the ultimate performance.

For "fun", look at small French TDis. Headline power and torque are down on the MK1 but they're far lighter and should actual handle out of the box. You just have to pray to the god of functional electrics every night. :)

God no. You couldn't pay me.

I actually know someone with a french diesel that has spent more time off the road than on, in fact 6 mths, its a running joke !!

If handling is an issue, just sort the suspension, its not difficult. I've done mine for bugger all and its on rails now.

Would be even better with rear ARB too but it handles more than good enough for me at the moment.

Interestingly no mention of Mini Cooper S/SD in the title ? - pricey but imagine they would offer the same kind of fun as the Fabia vRS...with the latter would probably overlap more in regard to economy than the S.

I think with the onset of age I reckon something more like a Jaguar XK would be up my street personally

Yes I'm still here. I've been spending all my money and time on other things like following my team round Europe and pursuing extreme sports etc so my poor fabia hasn't had much love recently. Still into the detailing so it gets treated to a good clean every 6 month or so.

• Like 1

What gives the mk1 Fabia vRS a run for its money when you compare performance and economy?

Grande Punto Sporting? http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/fiat/grande-punto/hatchback-2006/33722/

Bet it handles better at over 100kg lighter, looks nicer (subjective) and more spec with stuff like optional auto wipers, Blue&Me etc.

If you get the 1.6 you get more torque than the VW 1.9 unit and 9mpg extra (both on paper). Would guess there's a weight saving over the 1.9 version too, and it's a 16v. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/fiat/grande-punto/hatchback-2006/44063/

Edited by TriggerFish

50-70 in 5.6seconds for the 1.9 version in 4th. http://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/2005/728255/fiat_grande_punto_1_9_multijet_8v_130_sport.html

Same as the Fabia. Don't forgot the 1.6 is torquier, so might be faster ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Fabia

Can't find any lap times to compare, and I'm not putting loads of effort, esp. as the question was 'what comes close' - I'd say matching the speeds is coming close enough!

God no. You couldn't pay me.

I actually know someone with a french diesel that has spent more time off the road than on, in fact 6 mths, its a running joke !!

If handling is an issue, just sort the suspension, its not difficult. I've done mine for bugger all and its on rails now.

Would be even better with rear ARB too but it handles more than good enough for me at the moment.

Interestingly no mention of Mini Cooper S/SD in the title ? - pricey but imagine they would offer the same kind of fun as the Fabia vRS...with the latter would probably overlap more in regard to economy than the S.

I think with the onset of age I reckon something more like a Jaguar XK would be up my street personally

it'll go around a corner, but thanks to the stupidly heavy engine & gearbox and the nasty electric steering my Ibiza with coilovers, diff and decent (road) tyres doesn't inspire confidence

I too had this dilemma.  Had my 56 plate vRS from new and did 146000 miles.  Looked at Golf GTD and Leon FR - way too expensive.  Have now got the diesel Octy vRS.  Really miss the Fabia (there were tears when I traded it in) but needed a change.  Am pleased with the Octavia but it's not as fun as the Fabia ( a bit more middle-aged!) and certainly doesn't have the punch from standing start!