load signal alternator cable

kieranlt

Make sure the copper is just as thick as in the existing wires; thicker rather than thinner if anything. Main thing is to try to weatherproof the joints if you want it to last. Self-amalgamating tape is good stuff, or adhesive-lined heatshrink if you're soldering the joints.

Excellent write up, Wino :thumbup:

That self amalgamating tape; we use it at work for temporary underground joints (Openreach so phone cables), great stuff but stinks like **** lol

• 9 months later...

I sometimes have the ASR light on the dash. When i turn the ignition on and the light stays on, the car wont start. No sound from the pump either. Turn ignition of and on couple times light goes out, pump turns on and the car starts.

Car died on me 4 times on the go with the same light turning on. Wont start wright away. I wait a minute and start it again

2000 pd tdi. No faults on vcds.

Could be the same thing.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by "I want to replace the whole cable", so I took a guess at the section - part of the alternator loom - that goes between alternator and one half of the connector pair on the gearbox bracket. Conns A to B in the pic below.  Which did you mean, if it wasn't that?

BTW my link above to a pair of conns that I thought might be A and B was a bum steer.  I've just found an example of an "A" connector that I know has been plugged into my alternator on the Polo, and the part number on the housing is 1J0973772. I've gotta go under the car tomorrow for something else so I'll try to see what PN "B" and "C" are while I'm there.

20161104_085508.jpg

Edited by Wino

Something got broken when fitting the clutch, usual no battery light and flat battery, thought be easier just to replace whole thing as I have no idea where it's broken so replace the whole thing from a to e/D - b/c don't exist on my car as I've removed them for an earlier repair 

Blue wire's the one for you to try and find a break in then.  Can show you where it goes through the firewall (right hand connector block behind wiper motor, top left wire group, bottom left wire) and where it goes into the onboard supply control unit in the cabin later when I've found the relevant photos. Most likely to be busted near the gearbox bracket though, I'd've thought.

In the meantime, for what it's worth here are some part numbers for connectors B  (8D0973822, same as 1J0973822 I think) and C (1J0973722) in my little sketch above, both to be found on ebay for not too much cash separately, or both together for not much more like here for example.  Will try to find the part number of the rusty bracket too and add that in for completeness.

Alt signal conns.jpg

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Bracket may vary with engine type/year/model/equipment. On my Polo (BBY engine, 2003) it's 6Q0971858 (no suffix) shown as the first item 19 here.

I would caution anyone trying to remove these pairs of connectors from this bracket that if it's as rusty as mine in the above picture, you're quite likely to break the connector that's slotted onto it, while trying to remove...

Here's a pic of the one on my Polo, from the other side compared to the previous photo. Should at least show where to look for the part number if yours isn't exactly the same.

I'll see if I can get a price for a new one on Monday, but the "Cancelled since 01.07.2012" line in the parts site linked above doesn't fill me with hope so I may just be refurbing that one.

20161105_115928.thumb.jpg.4190ec3663fc967c0e45b668bcbbef95.jpg

Here's the engine bay start of the blue wire, coming through from the cabin behind the wiper motor:

1740547329_LocationofAltbluewire.thumb.jpg.9760c237dfe2a55d83de68cd91368953.jpg

That's the right hand of these two connection boxes as we're looking at them:

Bay connectors.jpg

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Gearbox connection (b and c) isn't there as previously stated. Nor is the bracket used. It was bypassed (cut it out) to fix this fault first time around!

the guy replacing the clutch has managed to yank on the cable so could be broken anywhere...

Thanks for pics - any ideas what connectors are used behind the wiper box?

Edited by SkUG

The B/C conn info was for others, and for completeness rather than for your situation.

Those big connection blocks are items 9 and 10 here, basically the starting point of the entire engine bay wiring looms. On the inside of the car they are multiple smaller connectors, I think the one the blue wire comes to is item 36 here, but they're so deep up behind the dash that you really need to take out the dash to get there, I think.

Red arrow shows the origin of the blue wire within the cabin is the onboard supply control unit: the pin that the blue wire goes to is  No.9 of an 18-way light brown connector that plugs into position "XS4" shown in this photo:

1105432630_Bluewireorigin.thumb.jpg.14686da6b508b49faf98460e3eeafb75.jpg

Here's another view from a different angle and further out of the same light brown connector. Lower dash trim above/behind the pedals must be removed for access.

(Ignore the blue arrow and circle, that was to show something else in some other thread)

1408308800_OnboardSupplyunit.thumb.jpg.cd5f68cdec23f86394008306e1e507d0.jpg

Find the blue wire at the point I've shown behind the wiper motor, or preferably much nearer to the front of the car, and splice a new wire onto that. Or cut and splice a new one onto the wire coming out of the onboard supply control unit and feed it through into the bay.  :thumbup:

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Thank you kindly, sorry this is very frustrating as it's been working so well since your advice the first time around - sir you are a legend! thank you 

It's snapped at alternator end, ordered a 1J0973702 ( hope this is an alternator connection!) to replace broken  - guess my repair was tougher than I thought :)

That might not be right unfortunately.  If it's connector A in my sketch above in post #37, you want 1J0973772 I think.  Check the one on your car though if you can, just in case it's different (part number should be on the body of the connector).  I've just deleted the link back up the page aways where I guessed, badly, that the 702 was the one.  In fact, that may come in handy for you if your reverse light switch wiring breaks, as I think the 702 is right for there.

If it is the 772 you need, PM me a delivery address and I'll post you one with some wire tails hanging out of it, I've got one here that I don't need.

• 1 month later...

A plus 1 for ASR light on after 10 minutes, caused by both Alternator wires completely snapped.

Fixed by soldering in additional wire and heatshrink tubing to insulate.

• 4 years later...
On 06/11/2016 at 08:57, Wino said:

The B/C conn info was for others, and for completeness rather than for your situation.

Those big connection blocks are items 9 and 10 here, basically the starting point of the entire engine bay wiring looms. On the inside of the car they are multiple smaller connectors, I think the one the blue wire comes to is item 36 here, but they're so deep up behind the dash that you really need to take out the dash to get there, I think.

Origin of the blue wire within the cabin is the onboard supply control unit: the pin that the blue wire goes to is  No.9 of an 18-way light brown connector that plugs into position "XS4" shown in this photo:

20160321_090118.jpg

Here's another view from a different angle and further out of the same light brown connector. Lower dash trim above/behind the pedals must be removed for access.

20160407_122545.jpg

(Ignore the blue arrow and circle in the above pic, that was to show something else in some other thread)

Find the blue wire at the point I've shown behind the wiper motor, or preferably much nearer to the front of the car, and splice a new wire onto that. Or cut and splice a new one onto the wire coming out of the onboard supply control unit and feed it through into the bay.  :thumbup:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm trying to trace my 2004 Fabia's blue wire, and all the image links in this excellent post are dead: is there any possibility of resurrecting them? Or other images of the onboard supply control unit in situ?

17 minutes ago, mountainmark said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm trying to trace my 2004 Fabia's blue wire, and all the image links in this excellent post are dead: is there any possibility of resurrecting them? Or other images of the onboard supply control unit in situ?

Happy that you did bump it. I'll fix any broken picture links shortly (Dropbox killed its public folder, meanly).

For now I've done the two photos in the post describing the origin of the blue wire above. :)

Edited by Wino