Supermarket Car Parks - Scary Places

RobClubley

Our daughter was fast asleep in the car seat the other day so I sat in the car in Pak n Save* car park while my wife went in for 20 minutes to grab some shopping.

It's a very scary place to sit in a car that you like to look after.

It's amazing how careless people are with their cars, kids, shopping trolleys etc.

Doesn't anyone take pride in their driving/parking? Or look after theirs and other people's cars?

I saw trolleys rested against cars, cars parked diagonally in spaces, then others squeezing up alongside and bumping doors into them. People driving way too fast, not looking where there were going, etc etc.

And what is with people who set off driving then try to put their seatbelt on afterwards? Or get in the car talking on the phone and keep talking when driving off. Why not just sit for a couple of minutes and finish the phone call?

Oh and quite a number of blokes sitting in the car reading the paper while the Mrs does the shopping. And half the time the Mrs had to take the kids too - wtf?

*Pak N Save is kinda halfway between ASDA and Netto - NZ's budget supermarket

• Like 1

I think you have been people watching, this is a fantastic sport and very surprising, as for car parks, I know what you mean, the thing I don't like are those people who reverse out of the space and whilst still rolling backwards select 1st and slip the clutch, or vice versa, rolling forwards and crunch into reverse!

In NZ, do people have to park as close to the store door as possible?

I think you have been people watching, this is a fantastic sport and very surprising, as for car parks, I know what you mean, the thing I don't like are those people who reverse out of the space and whilst still rolling backwards select 1st and slip the clutch, or vice versa, rolling forwards and crunch into reverse!

In NZ, do people have to park as close to the store door as possible?

They do!

There are parent and child spaces at this shop but they're the same width as normal ones, just closer to the door. And they have a big concrete stopper thing bolted to the floor at the front which my front bumper would hit.

I quite often do this myself, send SWMBO in while me and the boy sit in the car, it's amazing just how many people can't park properly, I also find people take much more care when opening their door when they notice me glaring at them.

They do!

There are parent and child spaces at this shop but they're the same width as normal ones, just closer to the door. And they have a big concrete stopper thing bolted to the floor at the front which my front bumper would hit.

Ours are just as far away as normal spaces. Just with a big void inbetween spaces. Its usually disabled spaces nearest to the shop which I draw the line at.

Day

We also have at least 150 disabled parking bays, majority of which have Nissan cars in, Micra, Note, Juke and Qash Qai, I think Nissan must do the best deal on motability.

I usually park in the furthest away spaces as there is lots of room but like fish on a reef, one car attracts lots more and when you leave the store your car is surrounded. 

We also have at least 150 disabled parking bays, majority of which have Nissan cars in, Micra, Note, Juke and Qash Qai, I think Nissan must do the best deal on motability.

I usually park in the furthest away spaces as there is lots of room but like fish on a reef, one car attracts lots more and when you leave the store your car is surrounded. 

Was just about to say, you park in the most furthest and out of reach place and I can guarantee some numpty will park not just next to you. But so close it makes you wonder if they've done it just to annoy you lol

Day

• Like 1

Sat in my car once eating a sandwich in a car park...next thing was my car started rocking?

The women next to me had opened her door up on a fiesta to like 90 deg and as she got in her car it jammed against my car, so she started rocking her car to try and dislodge it!!

Totally dented my door by the handle, as I was getting out she pulled forward and closed her door and drove off swinging 2 fingers at me! As if it was my fault WTF

I hat car parks people are so couldn't give a monkey attitude.

I spend ages driving around trying to find the most defensive and safe spot, drives my wife mad.

Unless I'm out in my Defender 90 then they all stay away from me :)

• Like 1

ah the paranoia parking club..... been a member for years myself.

If I'm in the vRS I park opposite our local Sainsburys in the halfords car park-got locked in the other week, so thankyou to mr council for providing my escape route via the wheelchair ramps and pedestrian crossing.

Alternatively I take SWMBOs car and chill as she's already given it loads of supermarket scars...

• Like 1

Just thinking about it I have had doors stoved in 3 times in car parks - and I mean completely mangled, not just a little ding.  One time in a car park outside some industrial units, space for about 30 cars but only 3 cars including mine.  Bloke comes out of one of the units, reverses halfway across the car park and straight into the hire car I had.  He got out and accused me of pulling across behind him - except I was sitting in the passenger seat and there was no one in the drivers seat!  The door was so bent you couldn't open the window.

Also several occasions where I have nearly been run over walking across car parks - one old git drove past me stopped dead and reversed quickly and I had to jump out of the way.  Then he had a rant at me for banging on his boot as I was leaping out of the way.

Interesting tale . Years ago ,I was out on deliveries and on way back stopped off in a Sainsbury car park on the A1. Popped in ,got a salad snack and was sittng in the front eating when van shook. Little old lady had caugt front "bumper" with hers . She sinple drove forward , backed out and shot of . She haddn't seen me ,but I got her number . Minutes later Panda parked in front, one PC got out and I paased the info to occupant. I wonder if she got a visit. Only my word ,so no chance of any more .

I hate them, multi storeys are even worse. The parking bays are designed for cars without any doors. They are so narrow.

At our local Asda the other day every single car parked in the parent and child bays were all abandoned at stupid angles. You could t call it parking

Our car park at work sometimes is a right pain but not as bad as the car parks at our local stores.....It seems to me that people has this misconception that if they have a rather large expensive car then they seem to have the right to park in two spaces.....at an angle.....really gets on my goat....

I park at the furthest end of the local shopping car park. Last year a chap with a Lamborghini parked at 'my end' of the car park, but not quite far enough away from the regular cut and thrust. An elderly driver lost control of their Corsa and smashed heavily into the front of his Lambo! Yikes. It was a right mess. Didn't help that it happened next to one of those 'wash while you wait' places in the car park. The local kids kept screaming out "it will polish out mate"

• Like 1

I only  have one problem parking in supermarkets now . Dsylexic parents who can't tell the difference between a pushchair sitgn in the bay and a wheelchair . Must be something in the tea at our local maternity. Hopefully when the hopspital gets fixed ,they'll buy better tea . :giggle:

• Like 1

Our daughter was fast asleep in the car seat the other day so I sat in the car in Pak n Save* car park while my wife went in for 20 minutes to grab some shopping.

It's a very scary place to sit in a car that you like to look after.

It's amazing how careless people are with their cars, kids, shopping trolleys etc.

Doesn't anyone take pride in their driving/parking? Or look after theirs and other people's cars?

I saw trolleys rested against cars, cars parked diagonally in spaces, then others squeezing up alongside and bumping doors into them. People driving way too fast, not looking where there were going, etc etc.

I do this quite often, would happily sit in the car whilst the OH picks up a few bits and yes the quality isn't great is it?

I'm really surprised that no one has thought about making a documentary/fly on the wall/reality TV programme about car parks because some of the activity is hilarious.

I've had enough ! So I take up 2 bays as far away from front doors as possible ! " I get asked sometimes , why you taking two spaces mate " I reply " I'm not your friggin mate and I'm fed up of people opening there door on their crappy cars and trying to put a ventilation shaft in my door ! " and the reply I get "Oh"

I used to take up 2 bays, park in the disabled spots, child spaces and even sit in the car with the windows half down, staring at who ever parked next to me so they would notice me and take extra car when opening there doors. Funny how the mum and dad would suddenly get out first and open the rear doors to get the kids out one by one instead of letting the kids kick the doors wide open as much as possible like they usually would do.

But the best solution is just shopping late in the evening or even during the night, car parks almost empty and I can park over 3 spaces sideways if I want to.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

We should invent a new symbol, similar to the ones for 'mother and baby' and 'disabled' . It could be called the 'Personal space' zone. and have a symbol of someone kissing their car bonnet. Only people who open car doors with great consideration and drop passengers off before parking up can use these spaces. Similarly they will face a fine if they don't park square and in the middle of their allotted area :)

This will be law when I take over the country

• Like 3

I was in the car with a mate of mine a few years back (think we'd have both been in our early twenties). He swung his car into a disabled space and started to get out, only for some woman to come trotting over and proceed to tell him off for parking in spaces for people that are "really disabled" like she was.

She shut up pretty swiftly when he took his prosthetic leg off and waved it at her.

Parked in multi storey near Paignton railway station last Sunday, place was dark, filthy, stunk of urine, no lifts and at £8 for 6 hrs or more v expensive...Paignton cud do better!! Place was empty...can't think why!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2