Thinking of buying VRS - Cam chain tensioner concerns

Hello

Im currently looking for a MK2 FL VRS to buy in the next few months, I really really really want the petrol TSI but i'm worried about the dreaded cam chain tensioner failing and taking the engine with it. I have seen on a few of the US forums that there was a revised tensioner released which sorted the problem but im still unsure.

Did the Octavia VRS ever come with the revised tensioner?

Is the revised tensioner a total fix or have there still been failures recorded with the revised part?

Would the revised tensioner be an expensive retrofit should the chosen car be a earlier model?

Cheers

Cookie

I wouldn't worry about it, failed cam chains has only effected a hand full of the total engines produced. People generally only post on forums if they have issues. I've had nothing but fun in my car, Just buy it and enjoy it :)

• Like 1

It affects early fl cars. 59/10 plate with a ccz engine. Happens with MK6 Golfs as well. VAG are on their 4th revision of the tensioner. its cheaper for them to replace engines as they break than do a recall and just replace the tensioner. They wiggle out of a few claims as well if the service history isn't up to par or similar. To replace the tensioner it can be done in situ in about 4 hours or so. if the engine is rattly on start up or rattly around 3000 revs on a light throttle, a high probability its the tensioner. £6000 bill to replace the engine via the dealers if it fails.

Factor in about £150 for parts plus 4/5 hours labour

All the best with your decision

Interesting point which came to me last night - if you had a dealer change the tensioner for the latest revision, you would get two years warranty on the part and work, so effectively giving you two years warranty against a tensioner failure and lunched engine.

I guess it depends on how much the dealer cost would be to change it.

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know if there has been any failures with the fourth revision tensioner?

Cheers

theres another thread specifically about this so it might be an idea to PM some of the guys who've had a failure and ask. As others have said there's not that many failing but that's not much comfort for those unlucky enough to draw the short straw.

might be worth considering getting a warrenty? so you're covered if it does go bang

good luck and I hope you get a good one

Be bad luck i think, most cars affected were earlier versions with a troublesome tensioner.

If you buy one from a main dealer depending on its age might be worth getting them to check the part revision and getting it changed as part of the sale...might also be worthwhile asking if its had a new engine at any point as they would have to share that info with you.

I shouldnt worry unduely though, people are starting to worry about tensioner failures on here now almost as much as CR engine DPF issues which are also rare and no major cause for concern.

Just to echo the points above, my previous vrs (2010) had the tensioner fail and although it was out of warranty i still got a very significant chunk of the repair paid by Skoda uk and a replacement engine that was brand new. Where cars were still in warranty they all had completely foc warranty replacements (with the exception of the guy who had been drag racing at santa pod!).

Failures are very rare, and if you're still worried, just pay for the latest part to be fitted as GTIJAZZBLUE says and you'd have 2 yrs warranty on that.

• Like 2

The current car I bought had a brand new engine installed into it. From reading the service history, the car got louder and louder until oneday the engine went pop....Engine has 2 year warranty on it so basically i will agree with Rob_e. If its a concern then get it changed as you really don't want to be forking out for a new engine. And again failures are rare but can happen...

I wouldn't worry about it, failed cam chains has only effected a hand full of the total engines produced. People generally only post on forums if they have issues. I've had nothing but fun in my car, Just buy it and enjoy it :)

Don't think that's true. Talking to my Audi tech the other day about the differences between the chain and belt differences and he said the main difference was the chains are weak and prone to stretching. So he's clearly seen a few issues.

I must admit from posts on here I thought the chains were reliable but perhaps not.

The issue is the tensioner - the ratchet mechanism that it meant to stop the chain becoming too loose fails and the chain can then jump. The tensioner does its job using oil pressure, but when the engine is turned off the pressure goes and the idea of the ratchet mechanism is to stop the chain from going too slack and allowing the chain to jump timing sprockets.

As far as I am aware in the reported cases this has been proven by the Tech or mechanic being able to push the tensioner against the ratchet mechanism, certainly my mate (mechanic) was able to on the A3 TSi that he diagnosed.

I think you have more chance of being hit by a stolen car or a run away hgv than suffering chain tensioner failure. Stop fretting, get the car you want and enjoy it. Life is too short.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk 2