when does cam belt need doing on a cr vrs?

120k, no time limit. It's detailed in the service book

Have you got a page reference for that please?

My dealer has rung me and said mine is overdue (car is 5 years old in December)

Have you got a page reference for that please?

My dealer has rung me and said mine is overdue (car is 5 years old in December)

I'll take a photo at lunch ;)

Thought we might have moved away from this doubt issue on VAG cambelt intervals by now!

It wouldn't be the first time the service book gives incorrect information. If this is indeed the case again, it would appear that SUK are still incapable of just issuing a simple dealer update. That way every dealership has the same information, and the customer is given consistent, and crucially, correct information about this.

So because Skoda UK contradict the rest of the world, we bow down to them?  I am sure that this wouldn't stand up in court for 5 mins unless SUK can prove that the UK has a micro climate vastly different to the rest of the world and contradict Continentals own claims.

It is essentially SUK Scaremongering people into paying for something they dont need.

This has always been the case and they have now had over 5 years to change the service book to reflect this/print and insert to include in the service book.

I don't buy it at all.

So the service book details 120,000 miles and no time limit? Just so we're clear.

That would strike me as odd, especially seeing as it's often the cambelt tensioners that are the issue, not the cambelt itself. Seeing as that's 10 years at average UK mileage (12k miles per year) that would seem foolish to me, personally.

My issue is not with SUK scaremongering, or lack thereof. It's the issue of consistent information.

I have just gone through this when I bought my Passat CC from a VW Dealer. The service book and EKTA both state 120,000 miles and no time limit, but I spoke to VW customer services who assured me it was 4 years for cars up to 2009 and 5 years for cars from 2009 on. Argued with the Sales Manager and he was adamant that the belt on the car I was buying didn't need doing despite being 5 years old and disagreeing with recommendations by VW UK. He eventaully backed down and agreed to do the belt when I suggested cancelling the deal.

So the service book details 120,000 miles and no time limit? Just so we're clear.

That would strike me as odd, especially seeing as it's often the cambelt tensioners that are the issue, not the cambelt itself. Seeing as that's 10 years at average UK mileage (12k miles per year) that would seem foolish to me, personally.

My issue is not with SUK scaremongering, or lack thereof. It's the issue of consistent information.

yes this is correct. I will take a photo later as I haven't had chance to get out for lunch

I believe the tensioners are 240k but don't quote me on that at the moment.

I'm not doubting what you're saying, regarding what's stated in the service book. Just the observation that the details have been incorrect before.

You have to be kidding. A 240,000 mile service life for a cambelt tensioner is probably the most ridiculous component life limit I've ever seen, if that's true!

120,000 miles is far to long to leave a cambelt,idlers,tensioner & water pump in my opinion,for the sake of spending £450 (max) every 4 years on a car that you have spent £10 to £20 grand on seems sensible to me,If skoda uk say every 4 years then fine,whats the big deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes this is correct. I will take a photo later as I haven't had chance to get out for lunch

I believe the tensioners are 240k but don't quote me on that at the moment.

Page 8 & 9 of service manual  11.08.  I assume that when they say "toothed belt" they actually mean cambelt as we would know it (and as my service garage calls it)

at 90 000 km, then every 30 000 km : Inspect toothed belt (only 4-cylinder petrol engines) 56,000 miles / 18,000 miles

every 150 000 km: replace toothed belt (diesel engines PD)  93,000 miles

every 180 000 km: replace toothed belt (2.0-ltr. petrol engines)  112,000 miles

Toothed belt replaced (Diesel engines TDI CR - Common Rail)

every 300 000 km: Change toothed belt-tensioning pulley (diesel engines PD)  186,000 miles

Having done 35000 miles (say 56 000 km) over 4 years, my skoda approved service garage recommends replacement of the cambelt on my 2.0 TDI PD.  The servicing recommendations are really dreadfully vague, with the skoda web site just saying that your retailer will advise you.

I've just had mine done, about 10 months overdue timewise, but car has only done 37k miles

£349, but 4 years peace of mind I suppose

It is annoying that the service book says one thing and Skoda UK say another, I'd be more convinced that it is necessary if they actually reprinted a UK service book to state miles/4 years

4 years is the same as Seat recommend on our Altea. As above for me it's worth it for the peace of mind as we all know what the first question will be if yours lets go outside of the Skoda warrenty period and you contact SUK asking for help (or what the warranty company will ask if you've taken an extended one elsewhere)

120k, no time limit. It's detailed in the service book

Yip I looked into this while purchasing the octy vrs CR engine was told it was around 120 k no time limit. Did some research on here and iirc found vw had changed it to 4 years or 60 k. But this only applied to the uk.

Rang the garage I was purchasing the car from "****reon dealer" to he told they spoke to managers mate who works for Audi and for them (same engine) it was 60 thousand or 5 years.

Baffled by all this I rung suk who had to call me back the following day. As the car was only on 29 thou when I bought it I was more concerned about finding how often in years.

Suk told Me four years or 60 thousand. When I questioned them about what the handbook said and asked why this only applied to the uk they could only reply "we have been having belts failing" so asked again why only the uk ?? with just silence and the offer of a call back.

Surely these cr engines running around in hotter/colder/dustier climates should

Also have the same 4 years 60k.

Needless to say I never did receive a call back.

Feels like a Money spinner to me.

My opinion (and it is just mine) is that Skoda UK may be using the 4 years time period as a money spinner, they may also be erring on the side of caution - however knowing people that have had cambelts fail in the past ( a surprisingly common occurrence) are you willing to take the risk?

Okay, it's circa £350 I'd rather keep in my pocket given the choice but it's still a lot cheaper than a new engine should the cambelt fail. Should I still have the car at that age (and for want of any definitive answer otherwise) I'll be forking out for a new belt.

• Like 1