Camber Adjustable KW Strut Top Mounts

remyc93

After searching the web for a solution to camber problems on the Fabia, there didn't seem to be any viable options. Camber bolts will NOT fit, as the strut is clamed into the hub. The ball joints wont give enough play to solve a large amount of camber, and yes the subframe can be shifted slightly but that only moves it from one side to the other.

I measured my camber the best I could with my dad's prehistoric camber gauge :rofl:  I know I won't be pin point accurate but I'm at least 1.5 degrees of negative camber on each front wheel. I'm running Bilstein B6 shocks, Eibach springs and powerflex bushes all round. Even before the modifications I wasn't making a tyre last long, fair enough I'm on Toyo T1R but my roads are windy as hell, and they were illegal after 2,500 miles.

Anyway, I found two options for adjustable top mounts, an Australian company called k-mac. They're castor and camber adjustable and fit the Polo 9n chassis which uses (I think) the same strut setup as the Fabia, well at least the same strut tops. The k-mac top mounts however have had mixed reviews... I've read that they are uncomfortably solid and people have had damage caused to their suspension due to the use of them...

http://www.k-mac.com/pages/newprods/vw/vw.htm

However after spending days searching through Fabia and Polo forums, turns out the Golf MK5 uses the same strut tops, and KW make camber adjustable top mounts for the Golf. After looking under the bonnet of my mates MK5 it looked like they do, my local VW parts dealership refuse to give me part numbers!  :swear:  So I can't compare! After phoning venommotorsport for a long chat about the KW top mounts and explain how I've heard of people in 9n Polos using 1k Golf suspension components, he said he would ask KW. I'm assuming he did as the next day under the Fabia section on their site appeared KW Top Mounts :happy:

http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=28769&manufacturer=KW&category=Suspension

I've ordered myself a pair at £398 which is very pricey I know! :sweat:  They should arrive within the next few days and I will upload photos and my results when I can :D

Toyo t1r tyres are renowned for inner + outer edges wearing well before the centre is half worn. Just saying ;)

Alot of money to correct the camber.. most people use them to create more camber fit wider wheels etc lol.. theres a thread on ed38.. ill try n find it later :)

• Like 1

Yeah T1Rs are such a soft compound, but I can see where the outer is wearing due to cornering, its starting to feather but on the inside its completely gone :( Its a lot of money but I'd like the choice between better cornering and longer lasting tyres.

I'm about to drive down to the Alps on holiday and with the amount of motorway miles, I'll need to buy new tyres for the way home :P especially if I have some fun on those alpine roads ;)

Camber shims for the rear are readily available m8. Sub £20 aswell. There is a fitting guide on here. Just search "camber shims" and u will find it ;)

Cheers mate, may aswell get them, you taken any of your inner arches out?

Cheers mate, may aswell get them, you taken any of your inner arches out?

Iv not fit my rear camber shims m8.

My problem is getting wheels to fill my pulled + rolled rear arches.. not getting then to tuck under :D

I have taken both front arch liners out + rolled the fronts.. i have cut the edge of the rear arch liners where the screw holes are.

Iv not fit my rear camber shims m8.

My problem is getting wheels to fill my pulled + rolled rear arches.. not getting then to tuck under :D

I have taken both front arch liners out + rolled the fronts.. i have cut the edge of the rear arch liners where the screw holes are.

Yeah I've rolled all round and trimmed the front front arch liners, need to pull more on the rear and tidy up the arch liners in the rear as I believe that is what catches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Here they are guys, they look like they'll do the trick, however they wont give me much in the sense of positive camber... :( Plus my insurers won't cover me for such a modification as it is deemed to risky to get better braking, better economy and decreased tyre wear :p

So I'll be sending them back this week as there's not much point in me voiding my insurance whilst I'm in the middle of France.

post-95408-0-28895400-1379287740_thumb.jpgpost-95408-0-49768600-1379287789_thumb.jpgpost-95408-0-20020900-1379287844_thumb.jpgpost-95408-0-01108200-1379287910_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...