CANBUS gateway location

Should find all the info here

http://www.r32oc.com/topic/29242-canbus-gateway-location-removal/

http://www.my-gti.com/2296/can-bus-gateway-removing-installing-and-upgrading-volkswagen-golf

Hardest bit is getting the wiper blades off.  Then its all pretty simple.  Swapped mine out using the above guide last week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bringing up this topic after two failed attempts to locate the gateway. I first removed the glove box, but no gateway behind there. Next, I struggled for while to have look behind the wiper motor. Removed the cover, but still no gateway. I have an early 2007 LHD. Is there any other possible locations for it?

Edit: Here is the picture from behind the wiper motor:

http://i.imgur.com/2MqWvfZ.jpg

Edited by Dakota558

This is one of the problems when you have lhd and rhd and model years with different fitting locations.

It will be there somewhere

have a look behind the climate / Air con panel have seen some vw passat with it there

also look behind the carpet side trims on the centre console (vw golf mk5 LHD has it there)

I have read in some cases it is above the clutch pedal on a lhd. The tell tale is red or possibly blue plug (but at least its not black in a mire of black parts!).

Did find it finally, it was located above the accelerator pedal.

After connecting the new one (pre-programmed), the esp and servo (yellow) indicators came on. Anyone seen that before?

Edit: Read somewhere else that these light will come off after a short drive

Edited by Dakota558

• 9 months later...

Old thread I know but didn't seem worth opening a new one. Having the same problem. Think I've found it though. Can anyone confirm?

Just in the left hand side of drivers footwear on a rhd

post-120784-14570287481389_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Old thread I know but didn't seem worth opening a new one. Having the same problem. Think I've found it though. Can anyone confirm?

Just in the left hand side of drivers footwear on a rhd

attachicon.gif20160303_175143.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No

It is behind the glovebox on early cars, I would say it will be behind where the cubby bin is on the drivers side.

You can go in from the outside (which will require the wipers to be removed)

or from the inside, remove the light switch and prise the trims off. Undo all the screws (5x)

then remove the trim and the gateway is at the very back