Stage 2 power and beyond - Insurance?

vRS Joe

Yet another insurance thread - sigh

Hi all.

My insurance is up and I'm just wondering who the 'highly modded' Fabia folks are using?

My best is currently £889 with everything declared and a 220hp limit.

I've spoken to Adrian Flux and Brentacre so far.

Any leads greatly appreciated....

Joe

• Like 1

Flux, £880 iirc, everything declared also 24.

Same here. They wanted £915 when I mentioned 220hp.

Now down to £760 but they wont go beyond 200hp for that. I've declared the turbo as 230hp capable.

Think I will get on the phone to flux and sky when mine is up and insure it as fully remapped ready for when it is. Areas make a lot of difference there was a site that told you your areas category but cant remember it.

Also im 24 and that price seems good to me.

Edit

Spoke to Sky insurance - Very helpful!

The chap I spoke 2 was a 'modder' of Supra's and Evo's.

I got a better price with a 250hp limit.

Good to hear, you spoke to my colleague Chris, great guy.  Here's a link to his Evo Blog:

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/blog/2013/07/new-sky-staff-ride/

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/blog/2013/08/new-car-staff-ride-part-2/

Thanks

I'm 31, costs me £500 with Flux. I find it well worth calling Sky for quotes, as Flux will undercut them.

We often find some insurers will wait for us to provide a quotation and then undercut us by a few £ to secure the business, some insurers (not the one mentioned) actually refuse to quote unless they know how much you have been quoted.  If another insurer beats our rate, it is always worth speaking to us again as we will refer the quotation back to our underwriters. 

I'll remember that in future, thanks. In fairness the level of customer service I experienced from Sky over the past couple of times I've called has exceeded that of Flux by some margin; I might look at switching next time.

I find the game of getting inflated renewal quotes, only to be vastly reduced in light of rival quotes incredibly boring. Flux reduced their renewal the other year by over £200 after I made a few calls. Clearly worth doing, but massively annoying that a competitive quote isn't given in the first place.

The AA are the same, call them and tell them their online price is £40 cheaper than the one they offer you and they match it because you're a "valued customer" (who they're repeatedly trying to rip off with inflated premiums). Snaps me in two.

Happy insurance hunting anyway :-)

Mine is only £550 I think, but then I am a fair bit older, and the Flux, and possibly other modified car insurers, like the "built not bought" - The fact I built my car up from 100hp to 300hp is preferred to me just buying and running a 300hp car.  If that makes sense. :)

• Like 1

It's funny, I seem to remember when I called round about 3 years back now I called Sky first. Answered all the questions, then at the end was asked what my best quote was. I told the man on the phone this was my first attempt and had none to compare it with only to be told I couldnt have a quote!  :think: I asked why and was told they could match/beat other quotes but needed a price to beat first. 

This was 3 or 4 years back and I suspect things have changed now, needless to say I didnt call back after ringing everyone else and have been with Flux ever since. Might be worth ringing round next year when I drop the miles down to < 5000 a year. (anyone on here have or know companies doing limited mileage policies?) 

It's funny, I seem to remember when I called round about 3 years back now I called Sky first. Answered all the questions, then at the end was asked what my best quote was. I told the man on the phone this was my first attempt and had none to compare it with only to be told I couldnt have a quote! :think: I asked why and was told they could match/beat other quotes but needed a price to beat first.

This was 3 or 4 years back and I suspect things have changed now, needless to say I didnt call back after ringing everyone else and have been with Flux ever since. Might be worth ringing round next year when I drop the miles down to < 5000 a year. (anyone on here have or know companies doing limited mileage policies?)

Why makes me laugh is they ask you if your a member of any clubs etc then when they give you the final price (which is normally loads higher than I've been quoted anywhere else) the discount they offer has already been deducted.

I would much rather hear, well yes that's £1500 but with a 10% discount that brings it down to £1350.

Why makes me laugh is they ask you if your a member of any clubs etc then when they give you the final price (which is normally loads higher than I've been quoted anywhere else) the discount they offer has already been deducted.

I would much rather hear, well yes that's £1500 but with a 10% discount that brings it down to £1350.

I know what you mean. I am with Adrian flux, in my second policy. I got my quote last year and then said "I heard you give a discount to people associated with briskoda" and they told me that this discount had already been include.

Guest BigJase88

Imo sky insurance are better than flux!

Flux want pictures of everything! Speedo's the lot!

They event asked for a picture of my last visit to the toilet :o

It was verging on rediculous!

Imo sky insurance are better than flux!

Flux want pictures of everything! Speedo's the lot!

They event asked for a picture of my last visit to the toilet :o

It was verging on rediculous!

Thats down the the insurer not flux, I never had to send any of that to them. Even so, for the sake of a few snaps on a phone if it saves money they it's all good. 

To put this into context, when I was your age and with a fair history just insuring a pretty crap 1.6 Gti in comparison, it was still at first around £700 odd. (and that was worth more then don't forget with inflation etc)

You are taking quite a warm to moderately fast hatch then chucking money to customise, of course it loads for the insurer.

Its not what anyone wants to hear but if I was you guys I'd be patient and keep it stock (still a very capable car) to keep premiums down - if that any kind of perogative. However cake AND eat it just ain't gonna happen.

Course pays yer money, takes yer choice etc

Its taken me to this point, being 40 that my insurance is now in the £200 a year (with standard car) although with above stage 1 engine modification and they can easily want double that (and I've had quote from Flux on this also). When its less than 1/3 total improvement of the performance of the car, you have to ask "is it worth it"

If the answer is "yes" and you are happy with paying £1k a year insurance, carry on !

Edited by dominorising
  • Like 1

I'm 31, costs me £500 with Flux. I find it well worth calling Sky for quotes, as Flux will undercut them.

Same here. Im 28 (MK1 vrs, hybrid turbo ~220bhp and all the other bits) and pay exactly £500, Sky quote at £525, then Flux beat them.

Oh, and Flux didnt want any pictures from me? Maybe because they are a broker, it depends who you actually are insured by?

Edited by NoSmokeNoPoke