Genuine VW LED Number plate Lights

As is your opinion.

I guess we all speak from experience and in my case the stuff I've bought from those links/sellers has worked fine for the last 8 months on both my vRS and my wife's Scout.

Boot panel off, resistors clipped into number plate bulb wires, bulbs changed, panel refitted and they've worked fine on both cars since.

I guess that's the beauty of this forum, people are prepared to experiment and post their results and then we can all make a choice on the route we want to follow based on those experiments.

the problem i can see with the cheaper option is that youre cutting into the loom which may give some wobbles on warranty work.

on my mkii I had a faulty boot light which let in water and rusted the boot.  I hadnt touched the lights as they were still on halogen but had I been in there with obvious splicing of the wires then im not sure if my brand new free boot would have been forthcoming (ie dealer says youve been messing with the lights and caused the water ingress thus its not covered)

Personally Id much prefer to go with the more expensive plug option which can be removed with no hint of tampering.

For me its the little things, when i drive around i look at stuff like that and you see the colours are different and the lights are facing the wrong way, if I'm going to do something, its worth doing properly. Its the same with my mk2 (although put cheap led in that for a month then took them out) i wanted the front lights slightly tinting to break up the chrome to match the black wheels and the tinted glass, i could of gone for that awful fly eye stuff with holes in it which would probably cost a third of what it cost me but i wanted it done properly so went the lamin x route which was a fully protective film along with providing a slight tint with no signs that it was tacky and done poorly. I like things to be exact other wise i wont do it

There is no "splicing of wires" on the "cheap" option. The resistors are supplied with connector blocks, which, should you have any issues, would be easily removed using a pair of plyers leaving the smallest of cuts in the wire.

Given what some people experience on here with their dealers, some would only just be able to spot whether the boot lid was on on let alone a wire with a cut in it!

Anyway I guess you pays your money and makes your choice.

This got me thinking and I am going to try these bulbs and see what happens. I hope I won't need the resistors (sold by same seller)

http://r.ebay.com/P9uIB6

Well these bulbs work well, though do trigger the dash error. Interestingly, with one led bulb in the right hand side and one normal bulb in the left hand side, the error was not triggered. Im sure that someone knows why.

So, time to try the resistors!

The eBay ones look good... so where are these usable? Footwell lighting? Number plates? Anywhere else? :)

P

As noted above these throw the bulb warning still, so i'll probably go down the genuine lamp + adaptor route.

I've repurposed these as LED boot lights though and they look great. :D

On a related note, what is the correct way to remove the number plate lights? It looks like they have a metal spring inside, but how should I get them out without risk of breaking them?

Thanks! :)

P

As noted above these throw the bulb warning still, so i'll probably go down the genuine lamp + adaptor route.

I've repurposed these as LED boot lights though and they look great. :D

On a related note, what is the correct way to remove the number plate lights? It looks like they have a metal spring inside, but how should I get them out without risk of breaking them?

Thanks! :)

P

Which ones are they, I want some brighter lights for my boot..... You couldn't take a photo of them at night could you?

Which ones are they, I want some brighter lights for my boot..... You couldn't take a photo of them at night could you?

I will buy these - http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-MEGA-POWER-LED-cargo-trunk-light-KI-R

Brightness and quality.

• Like 1

To those people who've just read this post in shock at the time and expense people go to in order to improve the lighting of their number plates....all I can say is that the Police really appreciate their effort! :bandit:

:giggle:

• Like 2

To those people who've just read this post in shock at the time and expense people go to in order to improve the lighting of their number plates....all I can say is that the Police really appreciate their effort! :bandit:

Without wishing to offend anyone. I have to say I am utterly perplexed by this thread. WTF!! Really. WHO GIVES A TO$$ about number plate lights?

I do because it makes the rear look better and once fitted you won't ever have to go looking for replacement bulbs or have the chance of being pulled over for defective lighting.

In 30years of driving I have never had a defective bulb on my number plates. But I suppose it could happen, and then I could expect to get a free MOT check by plod as well :-( Don't cars let you know if you have a bulb out anyway these days? 

Without wishing to offend anyone. I have to say I am utterly perplexed by this thread. WTF!! Really. WHO GIVES A TO$$ about number plate lights?

All people are different that's why, some like it others won't.

I'm sure there are things you like that I don't or think is pretty pointless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1