Genuine VW LED Number plate Lights

Done the LEDs yet ? Lol

They're in and look good!

Mega frustrating though, one of the clips from the holder popped inside the bootlid and is now rattling around.

Does anyone know how to get access to inside the bootlid? :-(

P

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

They're in and look good!

Mega frustrating though, one of the clips from the holder popped inside the bootlid and is now rattling around.

Does anyone know how to get access to inside the bootlid? :-(

Same thing happened to me, in the rain, and dark!

Take out the screw that holds the rubber handle for closing the lid in place,  the trim is just clipped in place all the way around the edge, wrap a screwdriver in tape and pry a gap big enough to get you fingers in and then start working your way around unclipping it, they are pretty tight but a little bit of force and they pop out.  If you have the electric tailgate option like me be careful as the cable to the close button is very short.

I got the full kit bar the external mirror lights, though only realised I don't have the footwell lights when I came to replace the bulbs! oops. No footwell lights on Elegance!? Any way of fitting these now I have the LEDs?

Anyway, the kit you get looks like the below;

IMG_20140220_180718.jpg

The CD has French instructions only but are fairly easy to understand and come with pictures but I have a self translated version using Google Translate should anyone want a copy.

No pics yet but look a lot better and all worked perfectly. No errors on the dash, no issues with residual current and having to use resistors (they supply a few if needed as you can see). I actually used an iPod repair tool to actually lever off the internal front and rear ceiling lights in the end as it was easier than a screwdriver and found a mini screwdriver was the easiest way to get the bulb out by pushing below it.

If replacing the front ceiling ensure you line up the little LED tubes at the front when refitting to get the clips back in correctly. Took me a few tries and swearing as the corners popped out again as these needed to be just slightly nudged to come through the fascia plate right so the centre clicked in properly.

Watch your fingers on that metal clip on the number plate lights though as hurt like hell when it caught it. Mine are a little loose now but should be fine but may need to rebend as others have said.

Hope that help.

John

I just got my interior led lights from ledperf. Anyone who have fitted these who could write some words how to replace each bulb?

I will replace the bulbs tomorrow.

Edit: I just realized there is an instruction CD along with the LEDs..

Edited by furyfax

I am struggling to change the bulbs in the footwell, anyone got any advice? I am not able to get to the actual bulb in the inclosure, I´ve disconnected and removed the unit itself, but the lid concealing the bulb is not nudging.

Also I am struggling to get the lid off of the external mirror lighting.

(I´ve left the CD which was a part of the delivery at my office, can't seem to find it online)

I've just fitted e-bay festoon type LED No plate bulbs which were advertised as Canbus free but surprise surprise they brought the dash warning light.

However I fitted a set of 5W resistors from www.autoledshop.com which need to be soldered in parallel across the bulb holder terminations. They are well insulated and took me about 1/2 hr to remove and reinstall.

They work perfectly now and for a total cost of around £13!

I've no photos yet as it has been ****ing of rain everyday for weeks on end!

I am struggling to change the bulbs in the footwell, anyone got any advice? I am not able to get to the actual bulb in the inclosure, I´ve disconnected and removed the unit itself, but the lid concealing the bulb is not nudging.

Also I am struggling to get the lid off of the external mirror lighting.

(I´ve left the CD which was a part of the delivery at my office, can't seem to find it online)

Stop showing off the fact you have footwell lights!

Another thing, seems like I will need to solder the resistors which were separately included in the package. I see that the LEDs in the ceiling (front and back) are slightly lit when power is off. I guess soldering the resistor in parallel with the LED will fix it.

Is this dangerous if not corrected, I guess this is only energy stored in the LED which needs to be burned off, this can not be a lot of energy, I haven´t checked how long they actually are lit, but in my head it is impossible that this is dangerous..

• 1 year later...

Got mine today, they look like they are made in China and not OEM, however look the same as yours in previous pictures.

IMG_0695.jpg

I filed off the plastic nobbly bits, it's a perfect fit.

IMG_0697.jpg

Fitted

IMG_0698.jpg

Just need to knock off the dash light now.

When your BCM fails due to the fact you have got resistors in parallel with the LEDs don't be surprised if it doesn't get replaced under warranty.

Your BCM fully supports LEDs for almost every light, do the job properly instead of a Heath Robinson bodge job.

• Like 2

Still can't work you why you guys are going to all this effort, 2 of these work fine then just code for LEDs

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-hot-sale-real-parking-t10-1smd-high-power-led-reading-light-bulbs-w5w-auto-cree/1968387645.html

just ordered some of these.  Will go and do a seatch for the vcds thread to see what needs changing :)

• 3 weeks later...

What is this thing with LED number plate lights. When driving,you can't see them. Don't they just make the rear plate show up more in the dark,which encourages the law to take more notice if they're sat in a "hidey hole" somewhere bored waiting for someone to follow. Plus are they legal regarding brightness at the rear. Have noticed these myself before and they can give a bit of glare backwards.