Citigo satnav - how good is it?

evoke

not had any issues with our garmin, apart from since a firmware update it now refuses to pair with swmbo's ipod nano g5 and ipod touch, and music was main thing she used it for, same issue on daughter PID so not a faulty unit but issue with formware

my nokia Lumia 925 pairs great, streams music over BT (have to tick a box in BT advanced setting about alternative connection method or you get a skip in the music every few seconds)

navigation has not failed us yet yet

only thing I note is trip computer seem 4-5mpg optimistic compared to calculated figures from fill ups

Having fallen out of Ronnie Scotts at 3am on Saturday evening, I thought I would give the sat nav a go so told it to take me home (Chelmsford). It took me up towards Finchley, then through miles of 20 limit roads around Islington, then a little 4 mile detour around a housing estate before finally dropping me onto the north circular via Walthamstow. Journey time was one hour and thirty five minutes. Had I just gone my normal route straight through the city and up the east cross route, the journey would have been well under an hour. At one point, the nav was showing turn right in 400M, but I was at a T junction with a row of old buildings across the front of me.

In view of this I have been giving it a try on some other routes just to see how bad it can be. I have come to the conclusion that it is the poorest performing sat nav I have ever used by some margin. The interface is far from intuitive, the routing really sub standard and the voice guidance hopelessly laggy and often inappropriate, giving voice commands that conflict with the direction shown on the map. It seems to be a £39.99 sat nav with a £299 price tag. My TomTom one XL (£99 from Halfrauds) is very superior in every way. No sat nav I have encountered in all my years of diving has been as pants.

Chris

• 1 year later...

I have the Garmin version in my new Citigo, & to me (a total technophobe) it seems to be fine. Tried it out on a trip to the Lake District (from East Yorkshire) last week, & it was fairly (define "fairly") impressive. Would certainly benefit from having a User Guide supplied - having checked, I was told that "it" was all there if I went into "settings" - I did try, & there wasn't not nuffin there. The (ridiculous) sole alternative seems to be to download the whole kit & caboodle (all 130+ pages of it)& even worse, print them off.

Back to my well worn system of "wing it" & if it all fails, THEN read the instructions.

WHY is life so complicated?

• 3 weeks later...

Am new to this forum, having been an avid Skoda fan for many years; it all started with an Estelle....... Currently driving a Yeti. Me and the partner have just bought a 13 plate Citigo Elegance also. All good except the previous owner has removed the Sat Nav. So....am looking to buy a used one, poss off EBay. I notice in Collos's post above the one installed recognised that the car was a Skoda. Most of the ones I've looked at suggest they're suitable for the Up!, Mii and Citigo. Does it matter which one I get? Also, should I go for Garmin or Navigon? Are they one and the same thing? Can anyone advise please?

Does it matter which one I get?

No, it doesn't... You can change opening screen in settings... ;)

should I go for Garmin or Navigon? Are they one and the same thing? Can anyone advise please?

You need to register account and device on website...

To update or buy maps you need app "navigon fresh"

I think the garmin one it the one to get, I thought there were issues with the navigon unit?

Garmin is faster and more features but both just about do the job to get you from a to b.

Google maps is obviously better but that's constantly updated and has the benefit of an internet connection for traffic and better searches etc.

Am new to this forum, having been an avid Skoda fan for many years; it all started with an Estelle....... Currently driving a Yeti. Me and the partner have just bought a 13 plate Citigo Elegance also. All good except the previous owner has removed the Sat Nav. So....am looking to buy a used one, poss off EBay. I notice in Collos's post above the one installed recognised that the car was a Skoda. Most of the ones I've looked at suggest they're suitable for the Up!, Mii and Citigo. Does it matter which one I get? Also, should I go for Garmin or Navigon? Are they one and the same thing? Can anyone advise please?

You should go for Garmin, that's the newer one.

-eelis-

• 2 weeks later...

Afraid I can't find much to really praise the PID for. Now on my third unit in two & half years, dealer tells me I am no way alone in the problems I've had. Probably spoiled by TomTom,  I-Phone & Android all of which are more intuitive and none of those have ever cut  out on me unlike my first (Navigon) and second (Garmin) PID's. Bluetooth is decidedly flaky with all the phone's I have tried thus far (Nexus 4, I-Phone, Nexus 5, HTC 1m8), both for phone calls and playing music. Got round the music problem by using a Micro sd card in the PID but how many media player are so archaic that they don't understand play lists?  For me the only thing that has worked consistantly is Car Info. 

As I say on my third unit and will not be surprised if this one goes the same way as the others. 

Well, eelis, as I said, I'm a complete technophobe, & I wouldn't have a clue what a PDF manual is - even less of a clue about how to download it.       Surely, I would still have to print off some 160+ pages - what a ball-breaker of a job, not to mention a tad expensive, as regards ink & paper?

However, I do use my PID quite a lot - if not on navigation, then on the trip computer, but yesterday, although the map with the route came up, the "voice" had gone awol.

In the end,& after some 30 minutes of fiddling,  I had to set it to "revert to manufacturer's settings" (or something similar) but through sheer luck, rather than skill, somehow it all came back????   It took some doing though, and a sweat on the brow - the whole kit-and-caboodle isn't what one could class as "user friendly".   No problems to the younger generation perhaps, but some of us  geriatric dropouts have to struggle with what a 6 year old manages without thinking.

Well I find the PID geat for what it is intended.

The Garmin unit better than our original Navigon which was stolen. you don't have to go for a Skoda one I got a Seat unit and did a factory reset. Then fitted it to the car and bingo its branded for Skoda. If you contact Garmin you can get it registered for your Citigo. 

Hi

I am about to take delivery of. Mii by Mango (to pair with my daughter's Citigo SE) and swotting up on the PiD - I have downloaded the PDF manual.

I see you can play music from an SD card (but the manual is silent in this regard) any tips on how to configure the music files on the card? Can I set up playlists etc?

I am marginally IT literate!

John

I use mp3tag to rename the files so they go

%disc% - %track% - %title%

I also ensure the track number is always 2 digits like "01, 02, 03....09,10" as opposed to "1,2,3..9,10" to make sure the files are played in the correct order.

Hi

I am about to take delivery of. Mii by Mango (to pair with my daughter's Citigo SE) and swotting up on the PiD - I have downloaded the PDF manual.

I see you can play music from an SD card (but the manual is silent in this regard) any tips on how to configure the music files on the card? Can I set up playlists etc?

I am marginally IT literate!

John

Hi

If I remember right, all files should be under Music folder. There you can sort your music like: Artist/Album/tracks or as you like. No playlists I'm afraid...

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

I found it the worse sat-nav I've ever used.

Addmittedly this was a 2012 car, but the touchscreen wasn't that sensitive and the user interface wasn't very intuitive.

This ^^^^^

The touchscreen seems to be resistive (rather than capacitive)...... also,

1. Its slow to respond

2. Its slow to boot

3. Its slow to pair phones

4. Its slow to load routes

5. Its slow to adjust to route changes (i.e closed roads)

Are you noticing a pattern here? When a PID is utterly outclassed by a £80 (Retail!) Android phone running Google Maps and your music player of choice, you have a problem.

And yes, I have updated it...................... No, it made it worse.

• 3 weeks later...

The Citigo came with a Navigon unit which was useless so the dealer changed it for a Garmin unit which does work better than the Navigon, but that's not saying much.

The actual navigation part of it is quite good (as you'd expect from a Garmin) but the OS is suspect, and the user interface is poor, with a terrible touchscreen. I bought a Garmin Nuvi in 2007 which was a delight to use, and the Garmin PID is way, way behind the old Nuvi in all aspects.

I came into the Citigo forum to see if there was a firmware or OS (it's Android isn't it?) update, but judging by the comment above by sniperpenguin, I don't think I'll risk it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a citigo monte carlo that I've had for a year now. I love the car but the Sat Nav is a bit meh. Once it works it's fine but starting up from cold takes at least 10 minutes and the SD card music feature simply DOES NOT work! I tried reboots, reinstalls, several different SD cards and files types and it always crashed. Pain in the butt frankly :P Ah well.