ITIL Qualification

MartynVRS

I see lots of jobs require you to have this, especially help desk and support jobs. I presume it's just a framework of how they do things. How much does it cost and where can I do it? Is it worth having? Starting to look a lot further afield for jobs now even if it means a move and I rent somewhere for a bit. I've never liked the idea of renting but I need a fresh start somewhere.

Information technology international library.

I have the version 3 foundation, it is a frame work of extra job titles to make people feel important!

In all honesty it is a best practise guideline to managing it based work. When I did it 4 years ago the foundation course was 1 week long and about 1500 per person. Parity training provided the course and exams etc.

I know of several people who have taken the foundation exam.

They got the books from Amazon for a few quid, spent about 3 weks learning the content and then took the exam.

All passed doing it that way - saves quite abit of money.

As with a lot of certifications, all that the course does is teaches you how to pass the exam. The real 'learning' comes later in the application of your new found skills.

Give the self learning a try - should cost you no more that £50 for the material plus the exam fee.

• Like 1

I guessed it will be pretty dull and it almost seems like they are moving the goal posts. You get a degree, some experience and you need more again. I'll keep looking and applying and see what happens. 

Just wondering but how many moved for a job and how much a year minimum would it be worth doing it for? I'd like to stay in Wales but looking more unlikely all the time. If I move out and try somewhere new it may open doors elsewhere.

You don't need to learn anything for it - its all common sense if you're only doing the foundation. 4 day course of being taught stuff any sensible person already knows but like you say, lots of places do seem to want it. Its like Agile project management exposure - utterly useless and something someone thought of to make some money... 

Information technology international library.

You sure you have it?

Only I have the Information Technology Infrastructure Library Qualifications ;)

Mind numbingly boring and all pretty much common sense but bizarrely employers seem to love it...

Information technology #international# library.

Thought it was #infrastructure# library.

It is useful to have, and largely common sense, besides the need to learn new terms / definitions for things eg. "Incident" "problem" etc.

For foundation I would agree it's not worth 1500 quid out of your own pocket. If a company will pay to send you on it - great - if not try and get a book or some e-learning. The exam is about 40 questions and is purely multiple choice a/b/c/d answers

was offered this at work. Cant see the point tbh unless your in the service side of IT. Had a quick look at the course book and decided it was just a load of vague ways to describe general things to do with computers.

they tried to convince me it was worthwhile for jobs in the future, but none of the support jobs I've seen ask for this, only servicedesk/helpdesk jobs do.

In my experience, the processes seem to make sense, but the insistence on use of certain words with non-plain-English meanings is very annoying. Especially when ITIL practitioners try and insist that you are wrong when you say something is broken.

It's not broken, it's an incident but you need to raise a service request and log it work the change manager to alert a cab. .....

That's the ****.

We went from being a "plain English" company with a Crystal Mark badge on our website to talking ITIL *******s in a couple of years :(

• Like 1

It's not broken, it's an incident but you need to raise a service request and log it work the change manager to alert a cab. .....

Argh Incidents Vs changes and no one know which is which never mind the minimum wagers on the helldesk.

For anyone who is wondering what we are wittering on about, have a read of http://www.conceptsolutionsbc.com/it-service-management-mainmenu-60/30-it-service-management/182-incident-and-problems-what-is-the-difference for some examples of nonsense.

Still, it's not quite as bad as a game of bull**** bingo!

Remindsme of my last years in a service industry as a service tech. it wasn't about how many faults you cleared, but how many jobs you got round,as each job was a cost to the customer's insurance policy .

Rethink Recruitment

Hi Carl,

I have tried to call you today to discuss a new permanent employment opportunity I have available that may be of interest to you, Field Service Engineer and it is working for an organisation that have, and continue to experience significant growth after a new client win. I would appreciate it if you could return my call so that we may discuss if the role is of interest.

Overview of the role:-

Field Service Engineer, Service Engineer, EPOS Engineer, Maintenance, EPOS, Break & Fix, Repair - £18 - 25.5K inclusive on-call + OT + van + bens

A growing market leader are seeking to recruit a number of Field Service Engineers due to a significant new contract win to provide break & fix maintenance repair on EPOS systems on various locations, whilst also performing installation of these and WiFi networks.

Candidates are sought with break & fix maintenance experience ideally on EPOS systems although candidates with break & fix maintenance (fault finding and repair) experience with PC's and networking will also be considered. You will have an understanding of IP networking including configuration and will have installed and configured WiFi systems. Candidates must possess a driving licence and have excellent communication and customer service experience.

I work for a very large IT organisation in a big global company.

Did ITIL v2 Service Manager (Foundation course, then separate 1 week courses for Service Delivery and Service Management) and the exams about six years ago.

A couple of years ago did the conversion course and exam to get to ITIL v3 Expert.

In very large organisations it is a help to see how the different parts of the organisation work together. Especially the interaction of change, incident and problem, and the value of a CMDB (configuration management database).

I'm at a reasonable level in the organisation, and ITIL has been a big help as part of getting here. And I know if I was looking to move it would be a strong selling point.

The only problem is that getting the v3 qualifications from scratch would be expensive and time consuming as there is a complex route through different courses to get there. But I'd say it would be a good investment in your career.

The foundation is worthwhile too for understanding, but I'm dubious about it alone as something that would impress employers. As someone who occasionally recruits for my own team I'd only really be impressed with someone who had the full qualifications and not just the foundation.