Car Back To Dealer Again! Gearbox.............

manxman02

Hi peeps,  My car  Elegance 5 door ASG 75 ps (what does ps stand for?) 

My little Scotty (Skoda lol) gone back to dealers again with gearbox fault this time! he was with them few weeks back, they found some error codes but did not know how to fix it? they told me they needed a call from Skoda to talk them through the repair!!  So back in last week for two days! end of the second day I had to call them to ask for an update? Ah sorry they said your car is still on the ramps with the gearbox off and wont be ready today. But I need my car for work I explained, ho they said! Well we can let you have your car back tomorrow and then when the parts arrive we will need the car back but you will have to pay £500, for what I said? Well Skoda will only pay us once to remove the gearbox, so if you take it away then when we get the parts we will need to remove the gearbox a second time! (F~#=-=@_ ) was my reply lol  

I called Skoda UK  (0845 774 5745)  to ask why I had to pay £500 on  3 month old car with full warranty? Leave it with us they said ! but as I told them I needed a car for work with business insurance, Ho they said! .........................two hours later a phone call........hello? Hi? we have a car for you it will be delivered to the retailer (Robert Eardley Newcastle under lyme) the next day..........A Black 3 door s or se ASG very nice............and you know what ? the steering works, the gearbox works, the economy is better than mine and the stereo is better than mine too lol  I think I got a Friday afternoon car!!!

Thank you

Marcus.   

PS explained

Though it’s still commonly used by carmakers, PS or Pferdestärke (horse-strength in German) was actually replaced by kW as the EU's ‘legal’ measurement of engine power in 1992. 

One PS is about 98.6% of a single brake horsepower – the two are virtually interchangeable, and PS is sometimes referred to as 'metric horsepower'.

Hi peeps,  My car  Elegance 5 door ASG 75 ps (what does ps stand for?) 

My little Scotty (Skoda lol) gone back to dealers again with gearbox fault this time! he was with them few weeks back, they found some error codes but did not know how to fix it? they told me they needed a call from Skoda to talk them through the repair!!  So back in last week for two days! end of the second day I had to call them to ask for an update? Ah sorry they said your car is still on the ramps with the gearbox off and wont be ready today. But I need my car for work I explained, ho they said! Well we can let you have your car back tomorrow and then when the parts arrive we will need the car back but you will have to pay £500, for what I said? Well Skoda will only pay us once to remove the gearbox, so if you take it away then when we get the parts we will need to remove the gearbox a second time! (F~#=-=@_ ) was my reply lol  

I called Skoda UK  (0845 774 5745)  to ask why I had to pay £500 on  3 month old car with full warranty? Leave it with us they said ! but as I told them I needed a car for work with business insurance, Ho they said! .........................two hours later a phone call........hello? Hi? we have a car for you it will be delivered to the retailer (Robert Eardley Newcastle under lyme) the next day..........A Black 3 door s or se ASG very nice............and you know what ? the steering works, the gearbox works, the economy is better than mine and the stereo is better than mine too lol  I think I got a Friday afternoon car!!!

Thank you

Marcus.   

We got a loan car ,when ours was in for it's last service, without even asking.

I'd seriously be thinking about changing my dealer if I were you.

Hi, there are two local dealers and both are Robert eardley and son lol To be fare they have sorted me with a hire car now (3 door 60ps se) it's so much better than mine in every way! better fuel economy,engine more responsive,faster even the stereo sounds better than mine. In the short time i've had this ****yGo I am not impressed at all, I have asked the dealer to get out this car and into something else, maybe fabia or new rapid with the DSG. I wonder how much trouble that will be? lol :) 

There is a built in swear filter on here, as it is a family friendly site

Please remember it is against Briskoda rules to try and get round this filter

I understand your frustrations with your car, but just remember there could be young and innocent eyes viewing these pages

Thanks for understanding.

Damo

Sorry I thought it was for the owners to voice and get help with there cars? did not understand it was family site for kids too? right i will be  good no i have had my hand slapped!!!!

Marcus 

Marcus,

Didn't mean to come across all hoity toity, wasnt intended

It is a place to sound off and get help, and not a kids site yes, but we do have a duty to members to provide a profanity free forum (mainly, apart from off topic and yeti section :D)

Some members dislike reading coarse language whilst browsing, hence the swear filter and rules

Wasn't a hand slapping, just a nod to the site rules and accepted behaviour

Hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the site

Cheers

Damo

• Like 2

You're a born diplomat Damo. It's hard to imagine anyone ever taking offence at your careful choice your words!

Thanks staib

It does happen from time to time though, despite my best efforts :D

Yes, damo is super polite - all web content should be filtered in this way unless it carries bold age-related warnings - (we wish!)

Major commiserations to the OP - no one should have to experience that sort of treatment with a new car - does commercial law not oblige the supplier to provide wheels if the down time is extended?

Reports of gear box issues seem to be increasing (ref Honest John et al) - is this not worrying to all recent Citigo buyers?

Always worrying to hear these things after ordering one! OP, I hope you get sorted out to a happy conclusion.

I've never been a huge fan of 'Honest' John, having just read their citigo page it seems there has been 1 complaint about gearbox and 2 about sticky clutches? Hardly earth shattering failures. This is what annoys me about their site, one report of a gearbox problem and they have it plastered over the review! Then Joe Bloggs starts telling all his mates that citigo's gearbox's blow up and rumours fly about  :wall:

• Like 1

Can anyone point me to thread with a discussion on owners experience of the ASG gearbox.

We've just taken delivery of one and it can only be described as awwwwwwwwwwwwful - borderline dangerous even. Just want to compare other owners experience/opinion.

The dealer has been next to useless.

• 2 months later...

My Advise for the ASG citigo is to sell it as soon as you can it's an awwwwwful system has many,many issues!! mine has been back 3 times now and still a pain, so i'm looking for another small auto (Fiat looking good at the mo) My dealership have offered me a Rapid, not free of cause, they will have mine back pay off the finance and give me new deal?? on a DSG Not sure what i'm going to do???

Marcus.

Happy new year guys :)  

Are they going to do you a good deal/discount?

What about a Fabia 1.2 TSI DSG? Cheaper than the Rapid but bigger than the Citigo still.

The other thing to consider is that you may have grounds to reject the car. They have so long/so many attempts to fix a fault and if it's not fit for purpose still then you have certain rights to reject it and send it back. This would work better in your favour rather than trading it in for another new car.

Phil

My Advise for the ASG citigo is to sell it as soon as you can it's an awwwwwful system has many,many issues!! mine has been back 3 times now and still a pain, so i'm looking for another small auto (Fiat looking good at the mo) My dealership have offered me a Rapid, not free of cause, they will have mine back pay off the finance and give me new deal?? on a DSG Not sure what i'm going to do???

Marcus.

Happy new year guys :)

I'd make sure you drive the Rapid before accepting it as part of a deal.  I had one as a loan car for a couple of days and was amazed at the booming /resonance in the cabin.  Going over bumps made it worse.  Compared to my Yeti it was dreadful.  I was surprised to read elsewhere that some owners of Octavias thought them to have more than average road noise.  I'd not been aware of that but certainly if they're anything like that Rapid I had then I can see what they mean.  (It was nearly new with just 1000 miles on the clock).

BTW I also drove a couple of ASG Citigos and didn't rate them myself....enough to stop me buying one. I remain disappointed that the Citigo should appeal to me but I don't like bare paint in the boot and on the inside of doors.  I could tolerate that on my Ford Populars and Anglias when I was in my teens but feel that for £10,000 I'd like to see a bit of plastic covering up the paintwork.  Also not keen on that horrible rear shelf arrangement (have it on my i10 and don't like it) and the absence of window switches that you can operate from the drivers seat, the presence of those 1950's rear windows and an absence of wheel arch linings to reduce noise and an absence of steering wheel 'in & out' adjustment on a car as recent as that. 

I'd really like to like it - but haven't succeeded yet and all the time they have that ASG box in it, I don't see anything changing.

Edited by oldstan

Why not have a look at the new i10 out the end of January? The Motor mags are raving about it,saying its in a different class from the old i10,and better than cars costing twice as much.

It has a conventional auto box,and amazing sound deadening.It looks good as well.I will certainly have a look at it when it comes out.The only problem is the automatic is only available on the mid spec SE and not on the top spec Premium. I would want the Premium with heated seats and heated steering wheel,but no way do i want a manual,so it would have to be the Automatic SE.I dont know why they do not offer auto on the Premium.

As far as I know Hyondai+Kia still use conventional autos fuel consumption suffers. Fiats duel logic system ,I have one a Panda I call it no logic is a normal gearbox, changes made by hydrolics and electronics,it works in a fashion,but they to have there problems especially in cold weather the gearbox changes could be described as lazy due to thick cold hydrolics oil.They suffer from electrical problems. I would go with i110 or Picanto reliable as you can get.

Why not have a look at the new i10 out the end of January? The Motor mags are raving about it,saying its in a different class from the old i10,and better than cars costing twice as much.

It has a conventional auto box,and amazing sound deadening.It looks good as well.I will certainly have a look at it when it comes out.The only problem is the automatic is only available on the mid spec SE and not on the top spec Premium. I would want the Premium with heated seats and heated steering wheel,but no way do i want a manual,so it would have to be the Automatic SE.I dont know why they do not offer auto on the Premium.

I too had spotted that strangeness. 

I do have the automatic i10 - bought it new about two and a half yrs ago. 

Never get more than 35mpg from it....often nearer 31  or 32.  (Brimmed tank figures).

Had an early problem with the offside drive shaft, which was eventually replaced with a modified one due to it producing a resonance at a certain rpm.  Bit better now but still not great.

Will look at the new one when it's been out for a while and the initial excitement in the dealers showroom has subsided. 

The 5 year warranty and 5 years Breakdown/Recovery cover is an attraction.  The trouble I had with Head Office is a distinct downside for me.  I think it'll be as reliable as a VAG product provided you don't get a duffer....(remember the problems Hyundai owners had with the clutches and gearboxes when the original one came out).

But I think it will compare favourably with the Citigo in terms of space, spec., warranty and 5yrs Breakdown cover.

The price looks roughly similar, the insurance costs will be higher due to a higher rating, the service costs will be comparable especially if you negotiate a 3year servicing deal at the outset (well worth doing).

£500 that's outrageous, i would properly cop the hump if they had said that to me.. i would have said don't worry put the gearbox in the boot i'll put it back in myself.. i can't understand why they wouldnt have automatically assumed you would need a courtesy car. shocking customer service

I had a loan citgo with the ASG last time got my octy serviced, in general the little car was really good except for the Auto Box, as it had the same gear change stutter as the Smart that SWBO had.