1.8T Fabia (built by Unit 18)

Most of my bits are hand made by myself, even the flywheel on my conversion was machined by me in a few evenings work lol, I sent a few hours yesterday making an engine mount (instead of spending £160 on a vibratechnics lol)

My clocks are std fabia and work with the polo ecu perfectly as they are canbus controlled so they just work as they should really even the obd port works lol.

Nice project tho and I was quite close to doing the same for stage rallying but the cost of getting the motor to work with a small restrictor was going to be a pain..

Looks great mate.

Yes I am building one but it's quite a different approach. A lot of stuff I'm doing Ali is helping with and he would have liked to have done himself in this one but the brief was OEM. Mine is definitely not that. A lot of assumptions were made by both of us when we started these projects which turned out to be wrong. There are subtle differences between engines and gearboxes etc that make installation tricky. I've spent many hours figuring out things as I know Ali has. I don't blame him not wanting to divulge to much for free. Although I'd seriously doubt he take another one on even having done one.

• Like 1

It's not the kind of job you would be able to charge for either really as if you charged for all the thinking time and trial and error the bill would be 000's.

It's not the kind of job you would be able to charge for either really as if you charged for all the thinking time and trial and error the bill would be 000's.

Very much so lol, I think if I'd charged for every hour spent including sat at home in the evenings with 3 seperate wiring diagrams on my lap the bill would have been more than a brand new vRS.

I would do one again and in fact have a provisional booking for another but I have my notes to fall back on so hopefully it'll take a little less time than this one :)

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

• Like 2

It would be nice if there was a conversion package available so people can do the conversion at home. Now its been done and you know whats involved, why not develop it into a product so to speak?
Day

It would be nice if there was a conversion package available so people can do the conversion at home. Now its been done and you know whats involved, why not develop it into a product so to speak?

Day

Abit like the red top kits for the corsa for example? Think you can buy the kit with everything you need then you just source your engine

Day

Only problem with that is its takes away its exclusivity. If a kit becomes available, every tom, **** and harry will have a 1.8t fabia.

Dont get me wrong, id absolutely love a 1.8t fabia. But i dont think id want one as much if they were the next common mod to putting octy spiders on your fabia vrs ;)

Besides the fabia 1 section being bombarded with posts from "less than able" 17 year old diy mechanics trying to put engines in their 1.2 fabias.

A kit would be nigh on impossible as depending on what base car you started with and what donor the parts came from it would be different.

Wouldnt make financial sense either, making money on them for all the research and development and time obtaining the parts would be very difficult. As a supplier then used parts are a very dodgy area, new parts for this type of project would scare most off cost wise.

Plus you roll up the fact you can buy a 1.8T Polo or Ibiza with the engine already in an OEM for very little these days it takes an proper fan to want it done anyhow.

• Like 2

Plus you roll up the fact you can buy a 1.8T Polo or Ibiza with the engine already in an OEM for very little these days it takes an proper fan to want it done anyhow.

Exactly.

A conversion kit is going to probably be approaching £10k.  Not worth developing it IMO.

You can buy an 05 plate 180bhp Ibiza Cupra for around £4,000 (sometimes cheaper).

It's a hardcore enthusiasts choice only really.

I say keep them exclusive.

Making a kit using a second hand engine could only lead to moans if it's doesn't work 100% after spending all that cash anyway...

• Like 2

Exactly.

A conversion kit is going to probably be approaching £10k. Not worth developing it IMO.

You can buy an 05 plate 180bhp Ibiza Cupra for around £4,000 (sometimes cheaper).

It's a hardcore enthusiasts choice only really.

I say keep them exclusive.

Making a kit using a second hand engine could only lead to moans if it's doesn't work 100% after spending all that cash anyway...

This :)

Very good result, really like it. It is a very deep project that requires a tremendous amount of tooling, space and of course time and knowledge. You have the notes, keep them. If anyone wants a similar machine then they know who to contact. One thing is a little guide on how to change some bushes or shocks that any kid can do on the side of the road, another is a trade secret on how to do a big engine conversion that works properly. Simple as that.

• Like 1